*** The Official Nebraska @ Illinois Game Thread ***

knapplc

2 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They can't recruit talent.  Martinez's legs were our offense today.  The receivers are slow and can't get open.  If they do get open which happened a few times, Martinez gets too excited and misses them.  And despite the hype of a few RB's, we have absolutely no talent in that room.  The o-line that was hyped as being big and strong got beat all day by ILLINOIS.  I'm glad that Oklahoma game is on so early here.  Hopefully I sleep through all of it.  

Not sure if I agree with that -- hard to assess the RBs when the O-line doesn't block.

Just now, mwj98 said:

Martinez is NOT the answer

Correct - but we have no other options, so...

Very early in the game I said focus on the positives so here is a few:

1. Nebraska's overall team physique looked MUCH BETTER than years past, especially along our O-Line, D-Line, & Linebackers. So kudos to Coach Duvall and his staff.
  2. The defense played good sound football

The only things holding back this team from being at least a competent football team is Scott Frost, his offensive scheme, the offense execution, and the special teams.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

Burn it down.  Let 2022 be a new year.  Like a Phoenix rising.  Sadly, I do not think anyone can look at this opener and say NU is going in the right direction or improving.  I really thought/hoped this would be the coming out game for Frost.  

Talent wise we are. Coaching is stagnant as molasses in January on Pluto.

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I’d consider myself a die hard. Heck I still support Frost and for some reason have faith he will suddenly get things going.

but holy crap, this program needs some

sort of deep spiritual cleaning.

Based on what?  He's not changing anything and the results are the same.  I promise you that is not the Oregon offense we had hoped for.  Chip Kelly ran the ball.  

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Based on what?  He's not changing anything and the results are the same.  I promise you that is not the Oregon offense we had hoped for.  Chip Kelly ran the ball.  

I don’t know where or why that hasn’t been the case. He was successful at Oregon and UCF doing whatever they did. No idea why he didn’t bring any of that to Nebraska. This offense is inept.

What the hell goes through Frost’s mind with two minutes left in either half? 

Whatever happened at the end first half set the tone for the rest of the game. Not the first time this has happened across 4 years. 

And maybe I’m biased with Martinez because I really like him, but I though he was much better in the 2nd half. Maybe not where you would expect him to be in year 4.  

and did we abandon the run game in the 2nd? missed some of the third, but maybe it was because we were playing from behind.

We are s.l.o.w. to hit the edge. 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

They make mistakes, but I thought they gave Mart time to throw. Maybe more because of the defensive scheme. 

I can’t find a roster, who’s #70? 

They had moments but were wildly inconsistent.  We also averaged 2.2 yards per carry on the other 38 carries besides the 75 yard TD. That is bad.  It was Illinois scheme exactly, to load up and stop the run.

#70 is Sichterman, the RG.