Who do we hire?

4 minutes ago, Bledred said:

When Frost gets fired, we will not be paying him a dime.  NU has enough evidence of 'breach of contract' with Frost to cut ties with him and never have to send him a single cent

Says who?  Are you basing this on unsubstantiated rumors or a certain new member who created a now locked thread?

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Farms said:

There are more rumors floating around about Frost and whether they are true or not be prepared because I guarantee they are about to get brought to the forefront after this s#!t show of a performance.  Frost could not afford this performance today and his job is in serious jeopardy.  

6 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Feel free to pm me with details!!

Me too. I need some good rumors to help cheer me up.

10 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

What % of coaches has turned around a program after being this bad for their first 5 years? Honest question.

Don't know the % but Matt Campbell did it in two!   Been reading different threads, so if I seem to bounce around, I apologize.  Just sharing my thoughts from different posts.

To those wondering, Matt Campbell isn't going to leave ISU for NU.  The culture is wrong, the atmosphere is wrong.  Not saying NU is bad, just that it's wrong for him.  Campbell is a teacher more than a coach.  If you'd like to see what I mean watch this video.  The Soul of A Cyclone.

As far as bringing Frost bringing his staff with him from UCF, many successful coaches have done that in the past.  In fact, Campbell did it with his staff from Toledo!  That's a few steps below UCF, yet he has made it work.  In a few years many of those coaches will be HC.  And they too, will be more like a teacher than coach.

As far as money goes, Campbell isn't obsessed with it.  He doesn't have an agent.  And his last raise?  He didn't take it, instead he gave it all to his assistants.

I hope Campbell stays at ISU for a long time, yet I am a realist.  He's turned down a couple of pro jobs and a couple of college.  I think the only jobs he would take right now would have first been Ohio State, thankfully they went a different way, and Michigan, which may happen very soon.  Besides that I think he'll stay at ISU even with an uncertain future for the Cyclones...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What does being a teacher more than a coach mean and what does it have to do with the culture at Nebraska?

Campbell would be the first to say he's a figure head.  The basic coaching (fundamentals, discipline, etc) is player driven.  They are all responsible to each other and no one needs to make a worldly play to help the team.  Just do what you need to do and let your teammates do what they need to do and everything will work out.  Campbell often says that for ISU to win they need to do it in the margins.  It's one reason they don't win big... or lose big. 

The culture of ISU will not allow players to be destroyed by the fans.  What I mean is everyone is part of the culture.  I lived in Nebraska for over 30 years and when things were going good, NU could do no wrong.  But when things started to change players were ripped.  Coaches are one thing, it comes with the job.  But at the end of the day these kids are just that kids.  18-22 year olds.  

When Campbell coached Toledo and they played in Ames, he was overwhelmed with the support Iowa State had for what he would later call "the laughing stock of college football."  It wasn't the facility, or stadium, or money, that brought him to Ames, it was the fans, that had him believe that Iowa State could be successful.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Gus

Malzahn

He will LOVE this job, s#!tty division and the only show in town.

This right here. He's used to dealing with a rabid fanbase, an administration/boosters that have high expectations(higher than ours) competing in the toughest division in college football with a juggernaut of a rival just a short drive away. All while never missing a bowl and winning that toughest division twice. By nature Nebraska will generally out recruit its west counterparts, so the biggest items will be getting the team to not beat itself and playing sound football. Gus, or anyone for that matter, comes it and wins a division, they will have built up so much goodwill that give them quite a bit of job security; In Gus' case he couldn't get even after what he did on the plains in Auburn.

That said, there still a full season to play out so everything will be what it will be. It's just that today was very inexcusable and completely preventable.

46 minutes ago, cyclonelifer said:

Campbell would be the first to say he's a figure head.  The basic coaching (fundamentals, discipline, etc) is player driven.  They are all responsible to each other and no one needs to make a worldly play to help the team.  Just do what you need to do and let your teammates do what they need to do and everything will work out.  Campbell often says that for ISU to win they need to do it in the margins.  It's one reason they don't win big... or lose big. 

The culture of ISU will not allow players to be destroyed by the fans.  What I mean is everyone is part of the culture.  I lived in Nebraska for over 30 years and when things were going good, NU could do no wrong.  But when things started to change players were ripped.  Coaches are one thing, it comes with the job.  But at the end of the day these kids are just that kids.  18-22 year olds.  

When Campbell coached Toledo and they played in Ames, he was overwhelmed with the support Iowa State had for what he would later call "the laughing stock of college football."  It wasn't the facility, or stadium, or money, that brought him to Ames, it was the fans, that had him believe that Iowa State could be successful.

So it sounds like Campbell isn't a culture fit for any massive fanbase program in college or the NFL.

10 hours ago, Bledred said:

Matt Campbell.  Aims is a 3.5 hour drive from Lincoln.  When Frost gets fired, we will not be paying him a dime.  NU has enough evidence of 'breach of contract' with Frost to cut ties with him and never have to send him a single cent (will be tied up in the courts for a while and most likely settled for an anonymous nominal amount to end the lawyer fees).  We then can back up the money truck to Matt and offer him 6-7 million a year easy and I highly doubt he turns it down.  The Big 12 is going to soon lose its power conference standing and Matt Campbell will want to play in the big leagues.  The dude can coach up a very solid team.

Solid pass. 

Campbell won't come to Nebraska.  He has too good of a thing going at Iowa State.  Unless it is something like Ohio State, he will stay put. 

We will have to pay Scott something to get out of the contract and avoid litigation.   I don't see this violation as much of an out clause, particularly if we do not fire him right away because of it.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Says who?  Are you basing this on unsubstantiated rumors or a certain new member who created a now locked thread?

How many struggling football coaches in NU history have had a new boss (AD) come in and have also kept their job the following year/season?  Not many. 

• Plus1 1