Who do we hire?

1 hour ago, ndobney said:

They just signed Frost to a new contract for the next 5 years they can't afford to keep paying two coaches every year. Although here's an idea instead of paying two coaches 5 million a year pay one 10 million I mean with that amount of cash even Urban Meyers would be interested

Frost got the extension at the end of the 2019 season I believe and at the time I was not supportive of it for this very reason.  With that said, the program cannot continue to endure this level of failure. Frost has been somewhat successful at signing good recruiting classes, and if some of that talent stays and we bring in a better staff, the ship may be able to get turned around more quickly.

• Plus1 1

Frost is a Nebraska guy. I get that. And I am tired of that being the reason for the pass. Pelini, a non Nebraska guy had us playing a lot more like a Nebraska guy not named TO or Solich.  Riley even got 9 wins.....Has he kept Banker who knows.  Although I hated the hire then and now.....

What has Frost shown that leads one to believe in 5 more years he will get us to winning. Like we would like.  Forget the "refs cost he game BS" and look at yesterday:

A safety on a punt from a punt return by a guy who hasn't returned a punt since he's been here....

Two missed PAT's

A gut punch fumble by our 4th year QB, 3 time captain (IIRC) who leads the nation the previous 3 years in fumbles (or bottom 5)

The roughing the passer followed by the taunt for 30 yards

Giving up 5 sacks

Letting the back up QB go 12-16 and 3 TD's.....

That is and has been the Nebraska identity since he's been here.  Not to mention no back up QB again.  No clear RB or even an experienced one, again.  No experienced WR returning again....A legit P5 team doesn't have this piss poor roster manager.  Go ahead and throw out transfers, recruiting misses (that's coaching and not doing do diligence) injuries and covid.  EVERY SCHOOL has this.  Even an average staff can make things happen.  How many times has NU made a back up look like a Heisman candidate.

If Frost gets us bowling that's great.  But I just don't see that happening.  He looks completely apathetic on the sidelines, the presser and the players seem the same way.  Attitude?  It's contagious

To the OP

Tom Herman as OC/QB coach-He knows the B1G, needs to rebuild the resume

Billy Napier/Scott Saterfield, Jamey Chadwell as HC

Would Sanders come back as DB coach?

Ron Brown receiver or RB coach

I also thought if not Frost then who, then realized there are a TON of guys out there.....Clemson promoted their receiver coach.....He also hired a phenomenal staff and fired them when they didn't perform.....

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I think folks put far to much emphasis on the home town boys. Being a home town boy, even a star athlete home town boy, is no guarantee of success as a coach.

The results we have been seeing for the last 4 years affirms my intuition that Frost was going to be a bad hire. I recall folks talking about how Frost knew the culture that produced winning teams because he was on those teams but I don't think they were considering the culture in the locker room, or at the training table. Osborne and Solich both  let things go that they shouldn't have.

Maybe the athletic department should stop worrying about what entitled donors and fans want and instead do what is best for the program in spite of the aforementioned groups.

All that said, I think many coaches would come to NU, everyone has their price.

You offer Nick Saban $X Million a year to come here and play to his ego of "if you are truly the GOAT, prove it NU......He would come.  

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, KCBuc said:

If I were Trev and before the Iowa game, I’d say look Frost, you need to make some changes. I’ll publicly guarantee your contract if you replace your OC, DC, and get a special team coach that’s worth a crap. I will be involved in the hiring because I have certain criteria that I’m looking for. (Winning track record/building a team from scratch/identity/recruiting prowess). All of Nebraska wants you to be successful.

Frost would not accept it. When fans leave the stadium early because the coaching is so putrid and getting slapped around by flipping IOWA, Frost’s fate is sealed. Trev can say I tried to get him to make changes but coach wouldn’t. 

If Frost agrees to it, who knows? The new staff gets three years to go to a bowl. 

And that the OC/DC will hire or keep whom they choose.  That O staff if horrific at best.

Given this some thought for the last 24 hours, and still really don't know if there is a right answer.

I don't know if Frost is the wrong guy for the job just yet, but it seems like he and or his teams can't get over the hump at this rate.

I think that we have two options if not Frost.

1.  Craig Bohl

He is gaining ground at Wyoming.  He is slowly building a solid group who is getting competitive.  He won at North Dakota St, he won titles. 

2.  Chirs Klieman

Current K-State coach.  He is a very good coach.  His teams don't make mistakes.  They don't commit silly fouls.  His teams so far have played really sound fundamental football.

Biggest positive:  He has beaten OU two years in a row.  Once in Manhatten, once in Norman.  Next thing is with the Big 12 in decline, he might come easily.

Thoughts?

• Plus1 1

Names that Trev Alberts should start with.

Jamey Chadwell--HC Coastal Carolina - 4 conference titles. 44 years old. Runs the option. 

Chris Klieman - HC Kansas State - won national titles at North Dakota State. Has defeated Oklahoma at Kansas State. Runs the football. 

Justin Fuente - HC Virginia Tech - was interested in the Nebraska job in the past. 

Jason Candle - HC Toledo

Billy Napier - HC Lousiana. 3 years as a head coach with 3 winning seasons and division titles 

Gus Malzahn - former Auburn HC. At UCF. Never had a losing season at Auburn. 

Lance Leipold - HC Kansas.  D3 titles, built Buffalo into one of the top rushing teams in the country. If he wins at kansas this season you need to take a serious look. 

Hugh Freeze - HC Liberty. Great coach but not exactly a clean history

Jeff Monken - HC Army - great OL fundamentals and runs the option

Matt Campbell--HC Iowa State - not likely to entertain a conversation. 

• Plus1 1

Names that Trev Alberts should start with.

Jamey Chadwell--HC Coastal Carolina - 4 conference titles. 44 years old. Runs the option. 

Chris Klieman - HC Kansas State - won national titles at North Dakota State. Has defeated Oklahoma at Kansas State. Runs the football. 

Justin Fuente - HC Virginia Tech - was interested in the Nebraska job in the past. 

Jason Candle - HC Toledo

Billy Napier - HC Lousiana. 3 years as a head coach with 3 winning seasons and division titles 

Gus Malzahn - former Auburn HC. At UCF. Never had a losing season at Auburn. 

Lance Leipold - HC Kansas.  D3 titles, built Buffalo into one of the top rushing teams in the country. If he wins at kansas this season you need to take a serious look. 

Hugh Freeze - HC Liberty. Great coach but not exactly a clean history

Jeff Monken - HC Army - great OL fundamentals and runs the option

Matt Campbell--HC Iowa State - not likely to entertain a conversation. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coastal+carolina+offensive+highlights+byu

Saban wouldn't come here for 15mil a season!  In fact he would take a pay cut to stay at Alabama.  If he would come here, it would be just for the money and thats it.  So far we have thrown some money around and gotten nothing. 

This position has been open now 4 times with no one wanting this job.  No one of value and or name.  Frost is the biggest name we have hired since we fired Solich.   Saban has a NFL roster at Bama.  He doesn't have to leave his house to recruit, just makes a phone call, its done deal!  He doesn't have to spend time on the road doing anything he doesn't want to.  He would not leave that for a job where your going to have to be on the ground searching for players and coaches to follow him here.  We were Bama at one point, but were so far away now, it almost hurts.

Reality.  It sucks that we suck, but its reality.  If we can't find a coach who wants this job, how in the world do we find players who want to play here?

I would be in on Klieman in a moments notice.  He has kept KSU going after replacing Snyder.  No question.  The next guy would be maybe Fuente, but need to see more this season.

It has to be someone who can build a Big 10 roster.  It starts with building an offensive and defensive line.

With saying all of this, I still want Frost to succeed.  If, and its a big IF, they would go to NOrman and win, then this loss wouldn't seem so big.  Gain some momentum, and see what happens the rest of the way.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

This position has been open now 4 times with no one wanting this job.  No one of value and or name.  Frost is the biggest name we have hired since we fired Solich.

Frost like you mentioned, was one of the hottest coaching names in the country. Fuente was interested at the time, and at the time was highly thought of. When we hired Riley, Beilema and Chryst were both interested but for some reason Eichorst just wanted Riley. When we hired Bo, Osborne was laser focused on Bo and Gill. There has been decent options, and if a change is made, there will be decent options. 

Unless we can land a Saban, Meyer, or Stoops (WE CAN'T) there is no reason to fire him now.  Like, we have no leverage to make any offers.  Frost WAS the top coach get and not even he could turn this s#!t around.  We're screwed unless he pieces this together.  There's just not a name out there that would legitimately be interested in any offer from this black hole job right now.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 3
35 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Given this some thought for the last 24 hours, and still really don't know if there is a right answer.

I don't know if Frost is the wrong guy for the job just yet, but it seems like he and or his teams can't get over the hump at this rate.

I think that we have two options if not Frost.

1.  Craig Bohl

He is gaining ground at Wyoming.  He is slowly building a solid group who is getting competitive.  He won at North Dakota St, he won titles. 

2.  Chirs Klieman

Current K-State coach.  He is a very good coach.  His teams don't make mistakes.  They don't commit silly fouls.  His teams so far have played really sound fundamental football.

Biggest positive:  He has beaten OU two years in a row.  Once in Manhatten, once in Norman.  Next thing is with the Big 12 in decline, he might come easily.

Thoughts?

Bohl- will never be back here. Look up Nebraska Colorado 2001 and the 34 gap play they ran for about 400 yards. That was on Bohl- lots of bad blood on that one. 

I really like Klieman what he did at NSDU was great. We need a Bill Snyder type guy in the role now.