Who do we hire?

I read your list and I immediately think back to 2018 when we made lists for our next coach and how Frost was atop everyone's list and in large part it was because he was a homegrown guy who was having amazing success at UCF.

If we learn anything from our coaching hires since 1997, it is it really doesn't matter what the coach did at their previous jobs before they come here, it is not an indicator at all of what they will do at Nebraska. 

-Solich was Osborne's protege and had been a part of the program for a long time.

-Callahan was an NFL coach and took an NFL team to the Super Bowl.

-Bo Pelini very successful defensive coordinator at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU prior to becoming Nebraska's head coach.

-Mike Riley Long time head coach with a lifetime of experience and always was credited to doing more with less at Oregon State. Since his departure from Oregon State it has proven just how hard of a job that is and Riley consistently kept them competitive and on some seasons got them on the verge of winning the conference.

-Scott Frost good assistant coach, inherited a winless UCF team and in year 2 went unbeaten and beat Auburn in a bowl game. Played under Tom Osborne and coached under Chip Kelly.

Really looking at it, any of of those guys could have and looking at their strong points, should have been successful at Nebraska. Point being, we have no idea who that right coach is and who will be successful here.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I read your list and I immediately think back to 2018 when we made lists for our next coach and how Frost was atop everyone's list and in large part it was because he was a homegrown guy who was having amazing success at UCF.

If we learn anything from our coaching hires since 1997, it is it really doesn't matter what the coach did at their previous jobs before they come here, it is not an indicator at all of what they will do at Nebraska. 

-Solich was Osborne's protege and had been a part of the program for a long time.

-Bo Pelini very successful defensive coordinator at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU prior to becoming Nebraska's head coach.

-Mike Riley Long time head coach with a lifetime of experience and always was credited to doing more with less at Oregon State. Since his departure from Oregon State it has proven just how hard of a job that is and Riley consistently kept them competitive and on some seasons got them on the verge of winning the conference.

-Scott Frost good assistant coach, inherited a winless UCF team and in year 2 went unbeaten and beat Auburn in a bowl game. Played under Tom Osborne and coached under Chip Kelly.

Really looking at it, any of of those guys could have and looking at their strong points, should have been successful at Nebraska. Point being, we have no idea who that right coach is and who will be successful here.

I do think consistent success as a head coach at a Power 5 school is one of the best indicators of future success at a P5 school. None of those guys you listed had great success as the head coach/CEO at a P5 school. 

6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

No probably. Everyone has their price, meet or beat that price and you can have anyone you want. I have no idea what it would take to get Urban, Stoops or Saban to Nebraska but if NU is willing to pony up the coin it can certainly be done.

This is true no doubt

38 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I do think consistent success as a head coach at a Power 5 school is one of the best indicators of future success at a P5 school. None of those guys you listed had great success as the head coach/CEO at a P5 school. 

I think we were all enamored with the appeal of Frost being a Nebraska guy, prodigal son, guy we wanted years before and that magical 13-0 season.  We also believed and many still do, "if not frost", then who".  Remember when people said a monkey could get 9-10 wins.....Well that same monkey would be coaching circles around Frost right now.  

There is a lot of great talent out there in the coaching ranks.  We all thought we had that guy in Frost.  Maybe he is simply a much  better OC than manager (HC).  Focus on one facet and one facet only.  Maybe he has too much on his plate with 87 schollies and a lot of walk ons.......To your point, perhaps we simply hired a good G5 squad. Maybe some, but not all, have the chops to be great at the P5.  To date, I am unsure.  Still too many mistakes with little to no correction from game to game.  And that speaks volumes to me.  Frost might have his culture, but unsure if the kids like it.....Just speculation on my part.

The end of the day, I would not be surprised if even Frost knows it's time to part ways completely or at least with one side of his staff....Interesting season for sure.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Main requirement is to have some experience  in the B10. And give them complete autonomy to run their program.  

7 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

This position has been open now 4 times with no one wanting this job.  No one of value and or name.  Frost is the biggest name we have hired since we fired Solich.  

This is the most wrong take in a thread full of hilariously wrong takes.

The only time the position was open and 'no one wanted the job' was the Callahan hire. We'd do well not to ignore the surrounding context of how Pedersen misplayed that entire thing at every step starting with the Solich firing.

Pelini was a very hot up and coming candidate. He was of value and name. Turner Gill was also a value and name candidate at the time, and those were the only two we considered. No way of knowing if any other people wanted the job because we didn't ask.

Mike Riley was an uninspiring hire, but he's the only person that Eichorst considered. How do you know that no value or name coaches would have wanted the job if the search were more open?

Frost was also a value and name hire who wanted the job, the hottest candidate in the country and we got him. He turned down an actionable offer from Florida.

Edit: Someone mentioned Justin Fuente....that's gotta be a joke. Went from 10 wins, to 9 wins, to 6 wins, to 8 wins, to 5 wins. Don't know how you could trend more down.

• Plus1 1