Who do we hire?

I’m sure Trev has a short list but Matt Entz would be worth a look. Builds defense to stop no huddle up tempo. Run the ball guy with power formations i.e. two tight end sets. Don’t know if he recruited Trey Lance but sure coached him up to a 1st round draft pick. 23-3 at NDSU right now.

We won’t be getting a “home run” hire again. It’s gonna be an up and comer guy if Frost doesn’t pan out.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is the most wrong take in a thread full of hilariously wrong takes.

The only time the position was open and 'no one wanted the job' was the Callahan hire. We'd do well not to ignore the surrounding context of how Pedersen misplayed that entire thing at every step starting with the Solich firing.

Pelini was a very hot up and coming candidate. He was of value and name. Turner Gill was also a value and name candidate at the time, and those were the only two we considered. No way of knowing if any other people wanted the job because we didn't ask.

Mike Riley was an uninspiring hire, but he's the only person that Eichorst considered. How do you know that no value or name coaches would have wanted the job if the search were more open?

Frost was also a value and name hire who wanted the job, the hottest candidate in the country and we got him. He turned down an actionable offer from Florida.

Edit: Someone mentioned Justin Fuente....that's gotta be a joke. Went from 10 wins, to 9 wins, to 6 wins, to 8 wins, to 5 wins. Don't know how you could trend more down.

Agreed, as much as a lot of folks have poo poo'd the job.  As long as NU is still paying $5mm+/yr and the fan support is still there, this will always be an attractive job.

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

He won in a tough situation at PSU and had a winning record in the NFL. He's currently the OC for the most successful HC of the modern college era, which will certainly be a learning experience. He'd be a good get. 

I'm really curious to see how BOB does OC'ing at the college level.  He did a great job stewarding PSU through that absolute mess, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, FTW said:

I’m sure Trev has a short list but Matt Entz would be worth a look. Builds defense to stop no huddle up tempo. Run the ball guy with power formations i.e. two tight end sets. Don’t know if he recruited Trey Lance but sure coached him up to a 1st round draft pick. 23-3 at NDSU right now.

We won’t be getting a “home run” hire again. It’s gonna be an up and comer guy if Frost doesn’t pan out.

If the downhill slide continues and certain things are in fact true, would you favor the inevitable “negotiations “ happen sooner rather than later?  Finish out the season with an interim HC?

Chadwell - Love his shotgun triple option looks, creative/different offense. Would it work in the B1G? Hard to say. It'll be interesting to see how things go this year and maybe next as he has to replace skill athletes. They beat a legit BYU squad last year.

Jeff Monken - We all know why he would be a good fit, as much as people want to leave the 'traditional' option game behind. We aren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc for the best QB and WR recruits needed to run a pro/spread offense. We NEED to be different. Given the fact that he's at Army right now, it's a good bet he'd run a tight ship.

Matt Entz - The NDSU record and their results speak for themselves. 

Matt Campbell - Very low probability of leaving Ames for Lincoln. If he leaves, it will probably be for the NFL.

Matt Rhule - If things don't work out in Carolina, maybe Lincoln would be a good fit. He made Temple a winner, and then turned Baylor around. 

Scott Frost - Give him more time. 

NO to Bill O'Brien. I've heard some BAD things about that guy. He would be Callahan 2.0.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

If the downhill slide continues and certain things are in fact true, would you favor the inevitable “negotiations “ happen sooner rather than later?  Finish out the season with an interim HC?

I honestly thought Frost was going to lose his job on the way home from Illinois.  As apathetic as he was in the press conference, it almost seemed as if he knew his fate.

The larger issue, to me, is that if it doesn't work with Frost then whoever we hire next likely will be a coach on the rise working their credibility until they get the next elite opening.  My fear is that we're so bad, and have been for so long, that this job turns into a stepping stone job and we're on the 3-5 year track with every new HC indefinitely.  One of the draws from Frost was that he wasn't going to run from a challenge.  At this point, the challenge seems his own making so I have no idea wtf to think anymore.

Nothing makes sense, and everything is disappointing.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I honestly thought Frost was going to lose his job on the way home from Illinois.  As apathetic as he was in the press conference, it almost seemed as if he knew his fate.

The larger issue, to me, is that if it doesn't work with Frost then whoever we hire next likely will be a coach on the rise working their credibility until they get the next elite opening.  My fear is that we're so bad, and have been for so long, that this job turns into a stepping stone job and we're on the 3-5 year track with every new HC indefinitely.  One of the draws from Frost was that he wasn't going to run from a challenge.  At this point, the challenge seems his own making so I have no idea wtf to think anymore.

Nothing makes sense, and everything is disappointing.  

If it means a guy gives us success and then leaves for better pastures, I'll take that at this point.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is the most wrong take in a thread full of hilariously wrong takes.

The only time the position was open and 'no one wanted the job' was the Callahan hire. We'd do well not to ignore the surrounding context of how Pedersen misplayed that entire thing at every step starting with the Solich firing.

Pelini was a very hot up and coming candidate. He was of value and name. Turner Gill was also a value and name candidate at the time, and those were the only two we considered. No way of knowing if any other people wanted the job because we didn't ask.

Mike Riley was an uninspiring hire, but he's the only person that Eichorst considered. How do you know that no value or name coaches would have wanted the job if the search were more open?

Frost was also a value and name hire who wanted the job, the hottest candidate in the country and we got him. He turned down an actionable offer from Florida.

Edit: Someone mentioned Justin Fuente....that's gotta be a joke. Went from 10 wins, to 9 wins, to 6 wins, to 8 wins, to 5 wins. Don't know how you could trend more down.

I'm pretty sure Jim Grobe was interviewed, as well. At the time, I still thought Pelini was a better pick.

40 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Chadwell - Love his shotgun triple option looks, creative/different offense. Would it work in the B1G? Hard to say. It'll be interesting to see how things go this year and maybe next as he has to replace skill athletes. They beat a legit BYU squad last year.

Jeff Monken - We all know why he would be a good fit, as much as people want to leave the 'traditional' option game behind. We aren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc for the best QB and WR recruits needed to run a pro/spread offense. We NEED to be different. Given the fact that he's at Army right now, it's a good bet he'd run a tight ship.

Matt Entz - The NDSU record and their results speak for themselves. 

Matt Campbell - Very low probability of leaving Ames for Lincoln. If he leaves, it will probably be for the NFL.

Matt Rhule - If things don't work out in Carolina, maybe Lincoln would be a good fit. He made Temple a winner, and then turned Baylor around. 

Scott Frost - Give him more time. 

NO to Bill O'Brien. I've heard some BAD things about that guy. He would be Callahan 2.0.

I like to look at Chadwell's history, he has consistently turned around programs he has been at at the Div II, FCS, G5 level. We need a program builder. 

• Plus1 1

What kills me is, 13 of our 21 losses during Frost's tenure have been by a score or less. 

Despite everything surrounding this program, we've been that close to actually being decent.

I feel like a competent coach should be able to reach Pelini level numbers at Nebraska. We've routinely recruited the 4th best class in the Big 10 (although likely falling as of late), and we play in the easier division. 8 win seasons should be obtainable. I don't think that is a rose colored glasses outlook, just an honest one based on the resources we have. That's why I'll never understand the "if not Frost... who?" argument. 

Although I don't know much, so maybe I'm off base here. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

That was me. He was the other candidate when we hired Frost. He was 19-8 with a top 20 and top 25 finish at the time. Obviously not as a candidate now, but at the time was a hot name who was interested in the Nebraska job - just debunking the fact 'no one would want to come coach at Nebraska'. 

I know I posted on this very topic over the weekend, But after thinking about it for a few days I have started to wonder unless this investigation is something way more then we think it is would it be smarter to start axing some assistants that are not cutting it and bringing in coaches that have a proven track record before we give frost the boot?

10 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Bill obrien

I agree that he would be a contender.  He stepped into a difficult situation at PSU and finished 2nd and 3rd in the 2 years he was there, and while in the NFL his team won their division 4 out of 7 years. It may not be an "elite" hire but some proven P5 experience may help turn the ship around.

• Plus1 1