Who do we hire?

52 minutes ago, Patrick OBrien said:

I said from the very start when Scott was hired that it would take 5 yrs to turn this program 

around if i were the A D i would give him 2 more years

however because of impatient people like you then if he does not go 6-6 and get to a bowl

then he will be fired at the END OF THIS SEASON we will then be paying him for the next 3-4 yrs

after losing so much money last year Iam not sure we can afford it

Scott reminds me of Bill Jennings he has the player talent but not very good coaches

If it takes some finagling, we'll find a away to afford it. And, no, he doesn't get two more years. We've waited 4 years for ANY improvement at all and have seen none.

3 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

If it takes some finagling, we'll find a away to afford it. And, no, he doesn't get two more years. We've waited 4 years for ANY improvement at all and have seen none.

The true Nebraska way is to give him one more year after this.  He then has a winning record.  That's when we lower the boom and fire him.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Part of me says, f#&% it, hand the keys to an option coach. It will be fun for the fans, it's hard to prep for.  Hell Paul Johnson won 6+ games 82% of his time at GT and even went to 2 Orange Bowls. If we're not gonna be National Championship Nebraska, lets at least be Option Football Nebraska. 

He was my first choice when we hired Bo. 

Is this a destination job?  I see names brought up of coaches that have built up programs and then bolted for a better gig.  What makes us think this won't happen here?  I get the money aspect, but there's a lot of places paying as much and more than UNL.  I think we all know who the top 10-15 schools are out there.  What keeps a coach here after he's built the program back up?  What makes us believe this program isn't a stepping stone job?  

34 minutes ago, JMC said:

The problem I see is a gradual decline in discipline. It has gotten worse year after year. We just need a couple "Charlie McBide" types to instile discipline. At this time we have none! In the Navy we would refer to this as the tail is wagging the dog! Of course that won't work if the head coach is anti discipline, HMMMMM. Maybe...too much Kumbya is not good? Or maybe Scott could learn to play the guitar at half time!!!!

I see what you're getting at.  What is Rick Neuheisal doing these days, anyway?

If we are looking at resumes, I say we go after Tony Elliott (Clemson's offensive coordinator and now Associate Head Coach). Highest paid Offensive Coordinator in the country who turned down NFL overtures. He might be content to stay at Clemson, but Nebraska has the money and facilities to make a run at him. Otherwise, I'd say go bargain hunting in the Big 12.

Did anybody happen to check for the list of prospective coaches that Moos might have left in the top drawer of his desk?

Can’t believe I’ve gone 16 pages on this thread and have yet to see anyone mention who I think is the best candidate available for NU: Marcus Freeman. Ohio guy, played at OSU and was a LB’s coach & DC at Purdue so knows the B1G, elite recruiter, experience at schools with “less” resources and developing guys (seriously- UC has a ridiculous amount of defensive talent that he directly impacted). Learned under Fickell, and now at Notre Dame under Brian Kelly. Plus he’d be the first POC to be a HC at NU in either men’s basketball or football.

Brian Kelly said he’d be “the next head coach” at ND one day. Screw that. Go get him now.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Trev said some good things in the article that’s flashing above the form. Patience…….. 

even though we played poorly on O on Saturday I don’t see Scott going any where the next three to five years. They (Trev Alberts) will give him the time to make changes to his staff in the coming years. Frost isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, talaricohusker said:

Trev said some good things in the article that’s flashing above the form. Patience…….. 

even though we played poorly on O on Saturday I don’t see Scott going any where the next three to five years. They (Trev Alberts) will give him the time to make changes to his staff in the coming years. Frost isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

Then I don't know what the point was of Nebraska turning him into the NCAA. It's not like they can use this season as "just cause" to fire him in future years, is there?

Just now, cheekygeek said:

Then I don't know what the point was of Nebraska turning him into the NCAA. It's not like they can use this season as "just cause" to fire him in future years, is there?

From reading what Sean Callahan has said about the NCAA is just a slap on the wrist and the boosters and all won’t do anything with Frost and his buy out. Also Trev made a great reference to Clemson about how they’ve stuck with Daboo through the hard times and that he’s pretty much kept his entire staff together through the years and look where they are now

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1