Who do we hire?

7 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Trev made a great reference to Clemson about how they’ve stuck with Daboo through the hard times and that he’s pretty much kept his entire staff together through the years and look where they are now

ohhh...Dabo has hard some hard times at Clemson, has he?

Dusty Rhodes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Trev said some good things in the article that’s flashing above the form. Patience…….. 

even though we played poorly on O on Saturday I don’t see Scott going any where the next three to five years. They (Trev Alberts) will give him the time to make changes to his staff in the coming years. Frost isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

Without a bowl appearance this season (5 in a row), this staff is on a 12 month performance plan, period.  Consistently falling short of expectations is one matter (Division competitor, occasional upset win, etc.), but outright failure is another. 

Missing a bowl game for the 5th straight year when you are collecting a $5 million annual check is deserving of scrutiny and consequence.  With your generous timeline, he might as well construct a hammock and allow the assistants to coach the team for the rest of the season.  Who knows, they might perform better.

3 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Without a bowl appearance this season (5 in a row), this staff is on a 12 month performance plan, period.  Consistently falling short of expectations is one matter (Division competitor, occasional upset win, etc.), but outright failure is another. 

Missing a bowl game for the 5th straight year when you are collecting a $5 million annual check is deserving of scrutiny and consequence.  With your generous timeline, he might as well construct a hammock and allow the assistants to coach the team for the rest of the season.  Who knows, they might perform better.

I think we can all find solace in the fact that the second half of our schedule is going to make the decision to fire Frost easy.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until Nebraska is playing teams that are actually good or have more talent. 

Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think we can all find solace in the fact that the second half of our schedule is going to make the decision to fire Frost easy.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until Nebraska is playing teams that are actually good or have more talent. 

Without question, it will get worse given the schedule.  That said, I unfortunately believe the administration will give him a 5th year despite the poor results.  Call it deference for a state's favorite son.  For Coach Frost, a fifth year means renewed and unflinching faith in a system that is overmatched in a Power 5 League.  

49 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Can’t believe I’ve gone 16 pages on this thread and have yet to see anyone mention who I think is the best candidate available for NU: Marcus Freeman. Ohio guy, played at OSU and was a LB’s coach & DC at Purdue so knows the B1G, elite recruiter, experience at schools with “less” resources and developing guys (seriously- UC has a ridiculous amount of defensive talent that he directly impacted). Learned under Fickell, and now at Notre Dame under Brian Kelly. Plus he’d be the first POC to be a HC at NU in either men’s basketball or football.

Brian Kelly said he’d be “the next head coach” at ND one day. Screw that. Go get him now.

If you're the coach in waiting at Notre Dame, you don't leave for Nebraska. Not anymore.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

patience goes out the door if you go 4-8 in year 4. The stadium will be half empty next season. You wanna see true apathy? Keep a coach after 4 losing seasons. 

I can't imagine how unexciting that would be. Would there be anyone besides TheSker who could have any hope in that scenario?

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I can't imagine how unexciting that would be. Would there be anyone besides TheSker who could have any hope in that scenario?

They are struggling in year 4 with moving tickets. The stadium will be 20k short next season if you stroll into another year with a losing record. Now look at the lost revenue and interest overall from that each home game. Merchandise wont be moving off the shelves like it was before etc. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Is this a destination job?  I see names brought up of coaches that have built up programs and then bolted for a better gig.  What makes us think this won't happen here?  I get the money aspect, but there's a lot of places paying as much and more than UNL.  I think we all know who the top 10-15 schools are out there.  What keeps a coach here after he's built the program back up?  What makes us believe this program isn't a stepping stone job?  

At this point though, is this a bad thing? Eventually a job becomes more desirable with sustained success. We just need two decent hires back to back that stick around for 3 or 4 years and suddenly you're a nice job with rich history and strong support.

• Plus1 2
Just now, irafreak said:

At this point though, is this a bad thing? Eventually a job becomes more desirable with sustained success. We just need two decent hires back to back that stick around for 3 or 4 years and suddenly you're a nice job with rich history and strong support.

Took the words right from my keyboard. I was typing this exact same thing. 

At this point, I'm not interested in a coach that says Nebraska is a destination job and that we'll have for 10+ years. If we're a stepping stone that means we've had a few solid years in a row, which makes us a more desirable job, which has it's upstream effects. 

5 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Jamey Chadwell...spread triple option....think about it....

22 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

They are struggling in year 4 with moving tickets. The stadium will be 20k short next season if you stroll into another year with a losing record. Now look at the lost revenue and interest overall from that each home game. Merchandise wont be moving off the shelves like it was before etc. 

The streak ends in five days.  I just got an email from the LJS quoting Frost begging people to come to the game.  I can buy tickets direct from the UNL-AD right now.   Coivd has people scared and the product on the field has people wondering if we win two games this year.  If we win less than five games it wont matter if we keep Frost, thousands wont turn out for anything next year no matter who we hire.

4 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

The streak ends in five days.  I just got an email from the LJS quoting Frost begging people to come to the game.  I can buy tickets direct from the UNL-AD right now.   Coivd has people scared and the product on the field has people wondering if we win two games this year.  If we win less than five games it wont matter if we keep Frost, thousands wont turn out for anything next year no matter who we hire.

Folks would be interested for a new coach just for the change and the unknown.  Keeping Frost for a 5th year if we have a losing season would be a terrible idea for attendance, morale, fund raising etc.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

I will be at the game on Saturday, tickets are non-refundable and I already booked my hotel. My son can finally see the place that brought me so much joy for my childhood. I hope he can develop a fandom like mine but he is simply a Nebraska fan because his dad is currently. A new hire would give ticket sales a boost. May not make it all the way full but will be more full than a 5th year of Frost if this year goes how we think it will. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Folks would be interested for a new coach just for the change and the unknown.  Keeping Frost for a 5th year if we have a losing season would be a terrible idea for attendance, morale, fund raising etc.

Yep,assuming this season ends up horrible, the only saving grace will be the fun of the search (for Coach Gus Malzhan!)

• Plus1 1