Who do we hire?

If we end up winning enough games that Frost stays here is an easy way to drastically improve his assistant coaches and it wont even take much effort on our part. 

Fire Verduzco, Frost takes over QB Coaching

Hire Bill Busch as a FT Special Teams Coordinator (he's already in North Stadium)

Send Greg Austin packing ASAP, Spend whatever it takes to bring in an established smash mouth nasty sumbish to coach the OL. 

Fire Ryan Held and replace him with Ron Brown (also already in North Stadium) 

You just drastically improved your assistant coaching pool and only hired 1 outsider so Frost doesnt feel intimidated. 

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If we end up winning enough games that Frost stays here is an easy way to drastically improve his assistant coaches and it wont even take much effort on our part. 

Fire Verduzco, Frost takes over QB Coaching

Hire Bill Busch as a FT Special Teams Coordinator (he's already in North Stadium)

Send Greg Austin packing ASAP, Spend whatever it takes to bring in an established smash mouth nasty sumbish to coach the OL. 

Fire Ryan Held and replace him with Ron Brown (also already in North Stadium) 

You just drastically improved your assistant coaching pool and only hired 1 outsider so Frost doesnt feel intimidated. 

Those hires/fires would yield immediate results IMHO.  I just do not know how the staff survives intact.  Unsure where our remaining wins come from......D will keep us in games, but unsure about the O.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Those hires/fires would yield immediate results IMHO.  I just do not know how the staff survives intact.  Unsure where our remaining wins come from......D will keep us in games, but unsure about the O.

It is honestly extremely frustrating because these are things Frost should have done after LAST year. Our RB rotation makes no sense. Our OL play has been well below average. We never actually addressed ST and instead just put it on a position coach. Bill Busch will drastically help with recruiting and Ron Brown will develop you a RB as he has done time and time again at NU. 

• Plus1 3

After 4 games, it's apparent that the OL and the special teams are the two main issues, along with coaching.

I don't know where to go with the coaching.  This game brought Frost out of a bit of a hole in my mind.  He has the whole season to prove himself and my view is that we will more clearly our issues.  I believe that the administration is squarely behind Scott [which is great] ... but I hope that doesn't mean he gets to just set his course as he sees it.  If Frost is here [and financially we are committed in that direction], then my hope would be that more upgrades in the OL coaching, special teams and perhaps RB can happen [I do like Held as a recruiter, meow thus far on results impacting the field or development].

I'm still of the view that we need new coaching in the OL area ... and we need to add 2-3 recruits every year [including this one].  Don't like anything out there in terms of recruits but we miffed at some local talent in that area that could have been our guys.  My hope would be that a new OL coach would take what is there and make something out of it.  My fear is that someone like Corcoran will be a four year starter and really not be good.  We regress the talent it seems verses develop.  Ya, I'm told it's youth ... but the hits keep on coming.  The OU game should us what the team looks like when motivated and playing hard ... which now allowed us to see our real weaker area ... OL and special teams are those.

On the special teams ... they really are "special" for us.  I can't really comment on all that.  I don't get it ... the problems nor the ability to not fix them.

The RB position would be my next possible red flag.  In the RB position, it would be interesting what a guy like Breece Hall could of/would of/should of looked like.  Thus far in the RB spot, it feels like we need a guy with a bit more speed and about 5-10 more pounds.  

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

After 4 games, it's apparent that the OL and the special teams are the two main issues, along with coaching.

I don't know where to go with the coaching.  This game brought Frost out of a bit of a hole in my mind.  He has the whole season to prove himself and my view is that we will more clearly our issues.  I believe that the administration is squarely behind Scott [which is great] ... but I hope that doesn't mean he gets to just set his course as he sees it.  If Frost is here [and financially we are committed in that direction], then my hope would be that more upgrades in the OL coaching, special teams and perhaps RB can happen [I do like Held as a recruiter, meow thus far on results impacting the field or development].

I'm still of the view that we need new coaching in the OL area ... and we need to add 2-3 recruits every year [including this one].  Don't like anything out there in terms of recruits but we miffed at some local talent in that area that could have been our guys.  My hope would be that a new OL coach would take what is there and make something out of it.  My fear is that someone like Corcoran will be a four year starter and really not be good.  We regress the talent it seems verses develop.  Ya, I'm told it's youth ... but the hits keep on coming.  The OU game should us what the team looks like when motivated and playing hard ... which now allowed us to see our real weaker area ... OL and special teams are those.

On the special teams ... they really are "special" for us.  I can't really comment on all that.  I don't get it ... the problems nor the ability to not fix them.

The RB position would be my next possible red flag.  In the RB position, it would be interesting what a guy like Breece Hall could of/would of/should of looked like.  Thus far in the RB spot, it feels like we need a guy with a bit more speed and about 5-10 more pounds.  

I addressed the "youth" that gets used as an excuse for our OL. If you look at number of years in the program we actually have 1 more year than Iowa does on their starting OL. If you use Hixson instead of Piper in that equation it is more than 1 year. If you look at our inability to communicate and pass off on the OL and often times not get any kind of push it really comes down to coaching on the OL. 

• Plus1 6

Keep seeing comments about needing to get a special teams coordinator, and I don't think we need one. We definitely need a kicker and a punt returner that makes good decisions, but beyond that I don't think we need much.  Our coverage has been decent, kickoffs have mostly gone through the end zone, and our new punter seems more than decent. If Verduzco were to get booted or demoted to analyst, would prefer we get an interior or exterior o-line coach.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Keep seeing comments about needing to get a special teams coordinator, and I don't think we need one. We definitely need a kicker and a punt returner that makes good decisions, but beyond that I don't think we need much.  Our coverage has been decent, kickoffs have mostly gone through the end zone, and our new punter seems more than decent. If Verduzco were to get booted or demoted to analyst, would prefer we get an interior or exterior o-line coach.

I'd prefer an OL coach capable of coaching the entire OL. Also if you move Busch into a full time coaching gig you now instantly have one of the best recruiters around on staff. Let him coach special teams and bring in elite talent. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I addressed the "youth" that gets used as an excuse for our OL. If you look at number of years in the program we actually have 1 more year than Iowa does on their starting OL. If you use Hixson instead of Piper in that equation it is more than 1 year. If you look at our inability to communicate and pass off on the OL and often times not get any kind of push it really comes down to coaching on the OL. 

There’s a saying in college football that bad teams can use the excuse that they are young for as many years as they’d like to keep excusing bad football.

The irony is that you stop being a young team by playing young guys. Sure there will be mistakes and road bumps, but good players develop and learn from their mistakes by getting game experience. I mean, a true freshman Ty Robinson got thrown to the wolves on the road against Wisconsin. Surely we gave up new rushing records to Wisconsin that game! But instead, he held his own and looked good and gave us a ton to be excited about the potential of his future. It’s how you get multi-year starters capable of all-conference or all-American teams.

Some of the most encouraging news to me is that Teddy P is shooting up the depth chart.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Caveman said:

OL: Bill Callahan 

Time to come home, big fella. 

I know you might be joking, and probably are, but I thought Callahan had some pretty good Offensive Lines when he was here.  05 & 06 comes to mind as some of the better ones we've had Post-Osborne.  The 07 one may have been good as well, but we kept having to play from behind because of an awful Defense we just had to go Texas Tech on everyone.  So it's hard to tell how good they would have been if not always playing from behind.  I know Zac Taylor would get just plastered after some of his Passes, but overall, I thought Callahan's lines were pretty good while he was here, there were just other issues that ended up being his downfall.  He has a track record of working as an Offensive Line Coach at various stops in his NFL career, so I would assume he's pretty good in that role.

Maybe we could hire Frankie to coach Running Backs now that he's retired, and maybe Bo can come in as well and help with a Pass Rush or maybe even help on the Offensive side of the ball!  He had some very good Offenses while here too! :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2: