Who do we hire?

13 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

Disclaimer:  Kinda emotional post:

Mojo, karma, luck or whatever makes it feel like we’re just destined to lose.

We have the potential to be so much better with who we already have on the team, but can’t make ‘The’ play. 2 lame duck passes should have been INTs weren’t. One almost great play by Braxton, but couldn’t pull it in. And we just make it worse because Penalties all over the place on the most successful drives that we have or occur at the start of a drive.

Refs don’t catch all of them, but it sure feels like they catch them when we do something. Where are the calls on the other team when they score on us? lol 

I’m waiting for plays like Frost to Davison to win the game vs Mizzou. A play like that never happens for us now. I don’t think that’s due to coaching or talent.

Nebraska cursed itself when they fired Solich, until they bring him on the field to bless it, we will continue down this forsaken path...!!!  #semisarcastic

19 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Yes it does but if you knew football it’s not the defense fault. They held Oklahoma to lowest point total in Lincoln Riley career. In the two losses the defense has given up 21 points that definitely good enough to win. 

If only we knew football like the great  otter pop. I know they could not line up and stop a bad Illinois team. They could barely stop Buffalo. They couldn’t stop OU when they needed to. Before Trev makes Chinander the interim coach (which is what I was replying to), he needs to quit blowing the 3rd and forever. Shut down an offense…other than Fordham. History points to the fact his defense isn’t a shut D. I never excused the offense or special teams, but I was hoping for more (considering the experience) from the D than rushing three on obvious pass downs. If he’s your guy, great but you don’t need to be a douche canoe about it. You have an opinion. Time will tell if he keeps crapping the bed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

When I look at the issues on this team, I now focus solely on the offense.  The D has it's issues, but IMO, has improved each year.  3rd down and true edge rusher are the biggest issues.  Get that edge rusher and 3rd down success goes down.....

I'd let the entire O staff go save Beckton.  Still out on Lubbick as I have no idea who really calls plays.  For the sake of argument, he stays at OC.  Bring up Busch for ST and to recruit.  Ron Brown down to coach RB's, Frost to coach QB's.  Need OL coach.  But here lies the conundrum.  Year 4 and we are having the same issues.  At what point does this crap show rest squarely on Frost?  If there was a large change, would Frost be able to capitalize on this and develop players?  Be a better in game manager?  Make adjustments?  Get a scheme that works?  Does he even want to still coach here?  Can he do the above?  If not, then regardless of the feel good stories and nostalgia, Frost needs to go as well.

I think he gets 6 wins and bowling he is safe.  Possibly gets the Solich offer to adjust staff.  He goes 5-7 or less, I don't know how/why we keep him.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

If only we knew football like the great  otter pop. I know they could not line up and stop a bad Illinois team. They could barely stop Buffalo. They couldn’t stop OU when they needed to. Before Trev makes Chinander the interim coach (which is what I was replying to), he needs to quit blowing the 3rd and forever. Shut down an offense…other than Fordham. History points to the fact his defense isn’t a shut D. I never excused the offense or special teams, but I was hoping for more (considering the experience) from the D than rushing three on obvious pass downs. If he’s your guy, great but you don’t need to be a douche canoe about it. You have an opinion. Time will tell if he keeps crapping the bed. 

Did you watch the same NU-Buffalo game the rest of us did? The same game in which they only scored 3 points? The same game that the Blackshirts held UB to just 135 yards rushing, 224 yards passing, and 359 total offensive yards? How about a Blackshirt squad that has held one of the top offensive teams in recent history to their lowest point total in several years? 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Did you watch the same NU-Buffalo game the rest of us did? The same game in which they only scored 3 points? The same game that the Blackshirts held UB to just 135 yards rushing, 224 yards passing, and 359 total offensive yards? How about a Blackshirt squad that has held one of the top offensive teams in recent history to their lowest point total in several years? 

The same buffalo team that almost beat a ranked team this past weekend.  It's kind of pointless to argue with some on these forums though.  They probably watched the games in a drunken state b!^@hing the entire time instead of seeing the real progress that has happened.

• Plus1 2

Exactly! They held Buffalo to 3 points, the same Buffalo team that lost by only 3 to the number 17 team in the country! They then turn around and by most people’s standards shut down OUs offense, at least compared to it’s normal production. Maybe I’m a hopeless dreamer, but it seems like this team is on the cusp of turning the corner 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
10 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Exactly! They held Buffalo to 3 points, the same Buffalo team that lost by only 3 to the number 17 team in the country! They then turn around and by most people’s standards shut down OUs offense, at least compared to it’s normal production. Maybe I’m a hopeless dreamer, but it seems like this team is on the cusp of turning the corner 

Dare I say, if Culp was playing like last year, we would be (probably) 4-0 at this point.  And that's what kills me.  In spite of all of the junk we see.  In year 4, we are still mistake prone and can't seem to get out of our own way.  Just a poorly disciplined team that shoots ourselves in the foot at the most inopportune time.  Simply not good enough to overcome mistakes.  

Going into a night game, against a ranked MSU team, I would expect the team to come out and punch them in the mouth from the jump.  and as Nelson says, quit hearing "that close"......

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, lo country said:

When I look at the issues on this team, I now focus solely on the offense.  The D has it's issues, but IMO, has improved each year.  3rd down and true edge rusher are the biggest issues.  Get that edge rusher and 3rd down success goes down.....

I'd let the entire O staff go save Beckton.  Still out on Lubbick as I have no idea who really calls plays.  For the sake of argument, he stays at OC.  Bring up Busch for ST and to recruit.  Ron Brown down to coach RB's, Frost to coach QB's.  Need OL coach.  But here lies the conundrum.  Year 4 and we are having the same issues.  At what point does this crap show rest squarely on Frost?  If there was a large change, would Frost be able to capitalize on this and develop players?  Be a better in game manager?  Make adjustments?  Get a scheme that works?  Does he even want to still coach here?  Can he do the above?  If not, then regardless of the feel good stories and nostalgia, Frost needs to go as well.

I think he gets 6 wins and bowling he is safe.  Possibly gets the Solich offer to adjust staff.  He goes 5-7 or less, I don't know how/why we keep him.

I can promise you that Trev Albert's sees things waaaaay different than you.

Nebraska has been pretty good at firing (and paying buyouts).

There are many many fans now very excited to see us on the road in a night game.  You should consider enjoying this ride right now instead of listing every name you'd fire 

Because you're not firing anybody.

That Nebraska team was fun to watch this last Saturday.

I can't wait for this Saturday 

And like every other tram in college football.......even Bama and Clemson.......we're going to commit a few penalties 

This team can compete with anyone on the schedule now.  Anyone 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I look at it this way. We have various legitimate issues. And is some way's we're coming around. If a person has a criticism, that doesn't mean the person or what is being criticized is horrible. Only that things need to be addressed. And, things often aren't always as they seem which can be taken into consideration as well. The Oklahoma game was a good game! If things are 85% percent of what they need to be, that's significant. In addition, the remaining 15% while not the majority is limiting and critical. In reality, it's more like a pie that expands the stronger the team is. We just have to adjust our trajectory some what that entails. We're still not scoring enough. There was more rhythm with the offense in each of the last two games. So there's some momentum to build on there! 

• Plus1 2
On 9/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, GlobalHusker said:

Disclaimer:  Kinda emotional post:

Mojo, karma, luck or whatever makes it feel like we’re just destined to lose.

We have the potential to be so much better with who we already have on the team, but can’t make ‘The’ play. 2 lame duck passes should have been INTs weren’t. One almost great play by Braxton, but couldn’t pull it in. And we just make it worse because Penalties all over the place on the most successful drives that we have or occur at the start of a drive.

Refs don’t catch all of them, but it sure feels like they catch them when we do something. Where are the calls on the other team when they score on us? lol 

I’m waiting for plays like Frost to Davison to win the game vs Mizzou. A play like that never happens for us now. I don’t think that’s due to coaching or talent.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I can guarantee you one thing: Nebraska doesn't have bad luck. Being competitive and winning championships comes down to your leadership, coaches and players.

You can fix S&C, which it looks like they've done. You can recruit good talent, which it looks like they've done. But, all the stuff that they're struggling with right now in year four (mental errors, lack of development in key position groups, penalties) mostly comes down to coaching.

I think Damon Benning said it best this morning: if you can't fix the problems ailing your program, then you're either unknowing, unwilling or incapable. Eventually, time runs out on those folks.

• Plus1 5
12 hours ago, Enhance said:

You can fix S&C, which it looks like they've done. You can recruit good talent, which it looks like they've done. But, all the stuff that they're struggling with right now in year four (mental errors, lack of development in key position groups, penalties) mostly comes down to coaching.

I think Damon Benning said it best this morning: if you can't fix the problems ailing your program, then you're either unknowing, unwilling or incapable. Eventually, time runs out on those folks.

Teams that consistently beat themselves like you said aren't "victims" of bad luck over the long haul. They are only "victims" of poor coaching. Damon is spot on, it is what it is. I hope SF makes it, I like the guy- but he has to humble himself and commit to improving/modifying his approach to culture, managing, practicing, playcalling and hes got to dump Austin and Verduzco this offseason. If it was anyone other than SF- I would be calling for him to be fired.  

Now I watch a lot of different HS games- all over the place, different classes etc. I like to get down close and watch them practice before the games. Taking talent completely out of it just by watching a team practice and watching the coaching- you can tell which teams are well coached and which aren't- then easy to predict who the winner will be based solely on that. It's rarely wrong. 

The Huskers must now finish 5-2 for Frost to have his first winning season in 4 years.  Looking at the remaining games, its doubtful this team can get to a winning season which should be the end for Frost. I mean, if we fire Pelini who never had a losing season, and Mike Riley who finished .500 in his tenure, there is no reason Frost should be retained based upon results. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3