Who do we hire?

44 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The Huskers must now finish 5-2 for Frost to have his first winning season in 4 years.  Looking at the remaining games, its doubtful this team can get to a winning season which should be the end for Frost. I mean, if we fire Pelini who never had a losing season, and Mike Riley who finished .500 in his tenure, there is no reason Frost should be retained based upon results. 

I agree with this. Unfortunately Frost has not worked out. And what baffles me is that his calling card high octane adjust to us offense is terrible. If we were having success on offense but still losing some shootouts I could live with that because he would have established an identity and we could improve the defense. But where are the dynamic players on offense like Oregon and UCF had? Wandale may have been the only one. We were to be a football factory in that regard but I’d argue we have not seen any! Why keep him if he can’t deliver on these type of dynamic players that are needed for his offense? But under his tenure the defense has improved yet the offense has regressed. Our RB’s are small but don’t have the extra gear you need for a back like this. The OL is awful and all the penalties are abysmal. There’s some skill players that can make a play once in awhile but no different from other teams that are mostly irrelevant. It’s basically backyard football with AM and that is shocking to me that this offense has done that now for 4 years. Lack of accountability, no attention to detail or mental focus, special teams that are the worst in CFB, yep it’s time to go if we end up with something like 4 wins. 

My hire would be Bob Stoops. Immediate national relevance and every recruit within a 500 mile radius would take notice. The OL and running game would be vastly different. Staff would be other prominent coaches like you now see with elite programs. This is an X factor which we have never focused on. Stoops gets us to 7-8 wins, back to bowling, and we build from there. 

• Plus1 4

40 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We need a big-name hire, someone who elite recruits will come to play for. Stoops is a top choice in that regard. Chris Petersen is another. I'm intrigued by the offensive schemes run by Jamey Chadwell and Troy Calhoun. I like Corey Raymond and Zac Taylor also.

Stoops is happily retired. Chris Petersen stepped away from coaching because it started to weigh on him. Zac Taylor might be the first NFL head coach to be fired this season.

I do think we need some elite recruiters though but we need an elite head coach. You do need a big name. I like Gus Malzahn.

• Thanks 2

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and hear them out. So when I see a bunch of posters say, "we should fire Scott Frost", I'm like, "okay go on, entertain that thought process". Then they spew out names like Chris Peterson or Stoops or Malzahn. Then I'm like, "Oh, I guess they must be joking". Because there's no damn way any of those guys are coming here. In fact usually the names that are spewed out, 95% of those guys aren't coming to Nebraska. 

Here's the truth. Nebraska fires Scott Frost after this year, I truly believe Nebraska ends up with Mike Riley 2.0 and the circus starts all over again. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and hear them out. So when I see a bunch of posters say, "we should fire Scott Frost", I'm like, "okay go on, entertain that thought process". Then they spew out names like Chris Peterson or Stoops or Malzahn. Then I'm like, "Oh, I guess they must be joking". Because there's no damn way any of those guys are coming here. In fact usually the names that are spewed out, 95% of those guys aren't coming to Nebraska. 

Here's the truth. Nebraska fires Scott Frost after this year, I truly believe Nebraska ends up with Mike Riley 2.0 and the circus starts all over again. 

But it doesn’t have to be that way. Programs fire coaches all the time when it’s not trending in the right direction. USC is in the same boat as us. Sounds like they might hire Eric Bieniemy. That’s a splash hire. Money talks. NU can hire anyone they want. Maybe Urban Meyer quits Jacksonville and he falls in our lap (lol).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, FTW said:

But it doesn’t have to be that way. Programs fire coaches all the time when it’s not trending in the right direction. USC is in the same boat as us. Sounds like they might hire Eric Bieniemy. That’s a splash hire. Money talks. NU can hire anyone they want. Maybe Urban Meyer quits Jacksonville and he falls in our lap (lol).

Yeah, programs fire coaches all the time. That's true. But is firing Frost really the right decision? I look at next years schedule and frankly, Frost could win 10 of those games based on what I've seen from the defense and if he can improve the o-line and special teams even a little bit. Like just making those two areas even average, the team could be pretty good. Frost has pressure on him no doubt, but I wouldn't fire him. I think that could be a terrible mistake. But that's just my humble opinion as some internet nobody. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, FTW said:

This is where I'm at. Should a decision be made to move on from the current staff, Nebraska will absolutely be able to get a quality head coach and staff. They will just have to open the pocketbook (Probably overpaying but getting it right will pay itself back) and for the right price most will listen, just up to the brass to make it happen. They'd have new facilities, a massive yet passionate fanbase and a division that you'll be able out recruit most year; With the notion that they'd earn of lot of a goodwill if said coach won that same division, which you don't have to be spectacular to do so - If we were better coached we'd possibly be a top 15 team right now with a distinct possibility to win the West.

We ended up with Mike Riley because the administration tied itself to MR out the gate to be an anti Pelini.....and our AD was an idiot. 

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, FTW said:

Stoops is happily retired. Chris Petersen stepped away from coaching because it started to weigh on him. Zac Taylor might be the first NFL head coach to be fired this season.

I do think we need some elite recruiters though but we need an elite head coach. You do need a big name. I like Gus Malzahn.

I'm not so certain that either of them are done permanently. And just because Taylor couldn't cut it as a pro coach doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't do well in the college ranks.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

People thought Urban Meyer was out of football twice and he ended up coaching at OSU and now Jacksonville. Stoops is a game changer for the program. You arguably have one of the top 5 coaches in the country and maybe the best in your region, certainly the best in your division.

Exactly... back when we were looking for a new coach (I think when we hired Riley) I suggested going after Petersen and people mocked me and said, "He'll never leave Boise."

Unless we have a total collapse though, I think Frost will be given another year... however, I do think he'll be forced to make some coordinator changes. Question is, who would want to come here, knowing it's possibly a one-year gig?

3 hours ago, chamrocck said:

People thought Urban Meyer was out of football twice and he ended up coaching at OSU and now Jacksonville. Stoops is a game changer for the program. You arguably have one of the top 5 coaches in the country and maybe the best in your region, certainly the best in your division.

Age may be a factor in this situation though. With Trev as AD I’m not sure he’s the guy that would actually pull out all the stops to hire a big name guy. I think without a bowl, Frost is let go. This time it will be about wins and losses. 4 straight losing seasons is enough to get any head coach fired.

My mind says go out and pony up for an elite coach. My instincts tell me we’re gonna end up with a lower tier FBS HC who is rising through the ranks.

Bob Stoops nor Urban Meyer would ever come to Nebraska. Period. 

There are many schools that would be far more attractive.

I love Nebraska and want it to be a dream job, but it is no longer one. It hasn't been for many, many years.

As backwards as this sounds, Frost is making this a more attractive job in two ways. We won't be getting rid of a winning coach and we gave a coach four losing seasons to figure it out. The only kink would be that a lot of people knew how this season was going to go...so one could argue that if Frost wasn't given this shameful and irresponsible contract, he would have been gone by now.

So, at Nebraska of all places we can say our expectations aren't unrealistic and we are willing to give someone more than 3 years to solve this mystery.

• Plus1 2