Who do we hire?

16 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

I don't feel like the AD will fire Frost for poor performance and thus pay out his contract. I can see him getting two more years. Next season's schedule is immeasurably easier (on paper and as of right now). So I think he's "safe" for now.

If the NCAA investigations confirm that he violated his contract, which would be terms for firing for cause/breaching his contract, then we have a whole different ball game.

what a s#!tty game. So many things that have become enigmatic of this team under Frost.

NU will always have the $ to pay out any coach's contract. That shouldn't be an excuse to not fire an underperforming coach. If anything next years "easier" schedule would be one reason I think hard about firing Frost. A new coach can take whatever is left from the roster, and try to build a new, winning attitude with a schedule that is more favorable. Frost keeps saying "the kids need to learn how to win", but that's not happening under his watch. 

18 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

I don't feel like the AD will fire Frost for poor performance and thus pay out his contract. I can see him getting two more years. Next season's schedule is immeasurably easier (on paper and as of right now). So I think he's "safe" for now.

If the NCAA investigations confirm that he violated his contract, which would be terms for firing for cause/breaching his contract, then we have a whole different ball game.

what a s#!tty game. So many things that have become enigmatic of this team under Frost.

I hear you.  BUT it's year 4 of no marked improvement (except the defense) in the category that matters.  Wins.  Frost is entering Bill Jennings territory as the worst coach in NU history.  

• Plus1 2
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

NU will always have the $ to pay out any coach's contract. That shouldn't be an excuse to not fire an underperforming coach. If anything next years "easier" schedule would be one reason I think hard about firing Frost. A new coach can take whatever is left from the roster, and try to build a new, winning attitude with a schedule that is more favorable. Frost keeps saying "the kids need to learn how to win", but that's not happening under his watch. 

A lot won't agree, but going for OT I saw a coach that needs to learn to coach to win.  He coached to not lose.  And has for 4 years.  I think we are currently 14-23....Frost is 5-15 in one score games.  He coaches to not lose.....That's on him.  5-15.......

• Plus1 5
24 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I think you risk further fan apathy if you keep him on after another 4-8 season.  One advantage Nebraska hasn't eroded away.......yet

I feel like we got married to the hot popular person with no substance and as the years roll on, we figure out the hot popular person actually doesn't have any substance.

We can either go two ways from here:

Slip into full on addiction spirals with rehab and relapses which eventually leads to a hard dead end

Or

The hot popular person works on him/herself and it turns out to be okay and we have a nice stable relationship.

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

A lot won't agree, but going for OT I saw a coach that needs to learn to coach to win.  He coached to not lose.  And has for 4 years.  I think we are currently 14-23....Frost is 5-15 in one score games.  He coaches to not lose.....That's on him.  5-15.......

100% those last 2 drives in regular time killed me inside

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 308_Husker said:

I feel like we got married to the hot popular person with no substance and as the years roll on, we figure out the hot popular person actually doesn't have any substance.

We can either go two ways from here:

Slip into full on addiction spirals with rehab and relapses which eventually leads to a hard dead end

Or

The hot popular person works on him/herself and it turns out to be okay and we have a nice stable relationship.

Or that hot person turns out to be a crazy person who treats you like crap and you still stay with her because she/he is super hot yet you are miserable the entire time. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

Nullifying his contract and not paying Frost is how we destroy our chances of hiring a good coach. Simply firing him because he's been s#!t won't really hurt our chances. He's had time, but didn't get the job done. 

Easier schedule also sounds good for a new coach like others have mentioned. Chance for them to get off to a strong start. 

• Plus1 1

A dedicated special teams coordinator. We have Lubick coaching receivers as OC. Why not have Chins coach OLB with Rudd and be DC. Although, Dawson is not a bad coach, he just needs to stay away from the special teams coaching. Frost needs to get involved but it is evident he does not put an emphasis on it, and that will plague his tenure. Nebraska needs an elite offensive line coach.

If we decide to move on from HCSF

1 Lane Kiffin- does he want to walk into an easy schedule or continuously play Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc of the SEC West. Think we can poach him but it might be tough. He ranted about B1G officiating during halftime of their game versus Louisville.

2 Gus Malzahn- steal another UCF coach. Will he want to come here or continue to build in an easy recruiting hotbed?

3 Jeremy Chadwell- If he has another great season we should definitely go after him. Has an offense that could fit our skillset of players and put an emphasis on running the ball. 

4 Zac Taylor- Nebraska native that has NFL experience. If he gets fired he will be looking for a job. Might stick with the NFL though and coach there as he has much more experience. 

5 Best coordinator in the country- This is to be determined. Bill O'Brian might not be a bad choice but would he be here for the long haul or to move up to a better job? We had the most success going this route in the last 4 coaching hires at UNL.

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think they said frost is 5-15 in one score games. Eventually you have to stop claiming they're about to turn a corner and just admit this is poorly coached team that loses a lot.

Can't say I ever had this experience in any teams I've coached in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, golf or tennis.  After killing the kid with consequences for each pre-determined error and consequence, they figured it out or quit.  It's a soap box, but running, sprints and exercise drills for each error does reinforce one's mental capacity to move forward or stop playing.

Here is a novel idea, how about less reps in practice at this point toward D, a few more to the Special Team area and OL.  More film study on the issues and then connect it to field?  If they are doing this I'd be surprised.

9 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

A dedicated special teams coordinator. We have Lubick coaching receivers as OC. Why not have Chins coach OLB with Rudd and be DC. Although, Dawson is not a bad coach, he just needs to stay away from the special teams coaching. Frost needs to get involved but it is evident he does not put an emphasis on it, and that will plague his tenure. Nebraska needs an elite offensive line coach.

If we decide to move on from HCSF

1 Lane Kiffin- does he want to walk into an easy schedule or continuously play Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc of the SEC West. Think we can poach him but it might be tough. He ranted about B1G officiating during halftime of their game versus Louisville.

2 Gus Malzahn- steal another UCF coach. Will he want to come here or continue to build in an easy recruiting hotbed?

3 Jeremy Chadwell- If he has another great season we should definitely go after him. Has an offense that could fit our skillset of players and put an emphasis on running the ball. 

4 Zac Taylor- Nebraska native that has NFL experience. If he gets fired he will be looking for a job. Might stick with the NFL though and coach there as he has much more experience. 

5 Best coordinator in the country- This is to be determined. Bill O'Brian might not be a bad choice but would he be here for the long haul or to move up to a better job? We had the most success going this route in the last 4 coaching hires at UNL.

Lane would be awesome but he has a good gig and Husker fans did not like Bo for being mean, there is no way they would like Lane because Lane loves life and loves having fun.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Can't say I ever had this experience in any teams I've coached in football, basketball, baseball, soccer, golf or tennis.  After killing the kid with consequences for each pre-determined error and consequence, they figured it out or quit.  It's a soap box, but running, sprints and exercise drills for each error does reinforce one's mental capacity to move forward or stop playing.

Here is a novel idea, how about less reps in practice at this point toward D, a few more to the Special Team area and OL.  More film study on the issues and then connect it to field?  If they are doing this I'd be surprised.

You make kids run in golf??

That is bad a$$!  Ha

2 hours ago, 308_Husker said:

The buyout of a contract, regardless of the amount, will never be a reason to NOT move on at Nebraska. We can go ahead and stop mentioning that. If this thing goes off the rails it won’t be difficult to pull the plug, and $ of a buyout will not be even a consideration. 

• Plus1 3