Who do we hire?

13 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The buyout of a contract, regardless of the amount, will never be a reason to NOT move on at Nebraska. We can go ahead and stop mentioning that. If this thing goes off the rails it won’t be difficult to pull the plug, and $ of a buyout will not be even a consideration. 

I think if you can save tens of millions of dollars, it makes sense. Especially since this coach is one of our own.

How bad would it look to fire our own guy who won a NC here after just 4 years?

It already looks bad we fired a 9 win coach every year, having to pay out his contract, fired the coach after him, paying out his contract, had the recent AD resign, paying out his contract. Do we want to tack on tens of millions of dollars on to the end of all that?

I believe Scott is here for the next 2-3 years. He's at least going to get 5 full years here to turn it around.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 308_Husker said:

I think if you can save tens of millions of dollars, it makes sense. Especially since this coach is one of our own.

It already looks bad we fired a 9 win coach every year, having to pay out his contract, fired the coach after him, paying out his contract, had the recent AD resign, paying out his contract. Do we want to tack on tens of millions of dollars on to the end of all that?

I believe Scott is here for the next 2-3 years. He's at least going to get 5 full years here to turn it around.

If Nebraska does not go to a bowl game, he should be fired. 

How bad would it look if we KEEP a coach with 4 straight losing seasons?  An entire recruiting cycle!?!

I’ll tell you what it will look like. It will send a signal that Nebraska no longer cares about winning football games but instead cares about people’s feelings or the living in the past. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

If we finish 4-8 again, then I don't think anyone would blame us for firing him. The fact that he won a NC here and is one of us should have nothing to do with it. I think Trev will give him the opportunity to make some replacements on the staff, but if Frost is unwilling, then Trev's hand may be forced. Verduzco, Held, and Austin MUST go, no ifs, ands, or buts. But again I ask the question, who is going to come here, knowing it very well might be just for one year?

33 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

This! 100 percent home run slam dunk hire or keep Frost for his 7 years. No 3rd direction.

We all thought Frost was going to be a 100%, home run hire, but he has failed miserably so far.  I will continue to root for NU and the team to win every game the rest of the season, but if NU ends up 4-8 or 5-7, that will be 4 straight losing seasons under Frost.  IMO, that wouldn't merit for him to stick around for another few years.  Nearly all successful coaches do better than their predecessor (assuming that guy was fired for lack of success) within the first 4 years.  I said this when Riley was here, and I will say it now for Frost.  Frost would need to be a historical outlier to all of a sudden do well in years 5-7 after crappy records in years 1-4.

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

We all thought Frost was going to be a 100%, home run hire, but he has failed miserably so far.  I will continue to root for NU and the team to win every game the rest of the season, but if NU ends up 4-8 or 5-7, that will be 4 straight losing seasons under Frost.  IMO, that wouldn't merit for him to stick around for another few years.  Nearly all successful coaches do better than their predecessor (assuming that guy was fired for lack of success) within the first 4 years.  I said this when Riley was here, and I will say it now for Frost.  Frost would need to be a historical outlier to all of a sudden do well in years 5-7 after crappy records in years 1-4.

My main concern is if we give Frost the boot we're going to lose Chinander also. I said in a previous post I know it's unlikely to happen but if we could hire a head coach to come in here and keep Erik chinander that would be ideal Subway like Bob Stoops are Urban Meyer who can recognize Talent when he sees it at the coaching level

6 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

My main concern is if we give Frost the boot we're going to lose Chinander also. I said in a previous post I know it's unlikely to happen but if we could hire a head coach to come in here and keep Erik chinander that would be ideal Subway like Bob Stoops are Urban Meyer who can recognize Talent when he sees it at the coaching level

Ehh, Chinander has done a good job, but if the next head coach is great, he will have a staff of great assistants.  I don't think it ever works to force a new head coach to retain assistant coaches from the previous coach.  I didn't like it when Osborne recommended that Shawn Watson be retained by Bo, and in the long run, Watson was let go by Bo anyway.

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, teachercd said:

You make kids run in golf??

That is bad a$$!  Ha

Yep, whether it's setting up games on the putting green, chipping green or my favorite, the range ... those who miss the goal of the drill or the losing team or teams have a run, sprints and/or exercises for missed goals.  It was different for each player in some cases as what the goal was for the A player was different than the C.  As a player progresses the bar gets moved upward and onward.  You have to create a mental edge and make things competitive to get a player into a deeper focus.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Yep, whether it's setting up games on the putting green, chipping green or my favorite, the range ... those who miss the goal of the drill or the losing team or teams have a run, sprints and/or exercises for missed goals.  It was different for each player in some cases as what the goal was for the A player was different than the C.  As a player progresses the bar gets moved upward and onward.  You have to create a mental edge and make things competitive to get a player into a deeper focus.  

That is cool.  We used to do "Competition Tuesday" in football with different events, just to get kids competing.