Who do we hire?

13 hours ago, Spaniel said:

https://www.si.com/college/utah/football/utah-kyle-whittingham-ranked-among-best-coaches-country

This guy would kill it at NU and would probably be happy to take the job.  IMHO

"After his opening three years in the Pac-12 in which the program went 18-19 overall and 9-18 in conference play, the Utes have been one of the best teams in the Pac-12. They've won nine games and finished better than .500 in conference play in six of the past seven seasons."

So, he walked in to a good situation by taking over a team established by Urban Myer, jumped from a Jr conference to a power 5 and sucked or was painfully mediocre for a few years, the program stuck with him, he figured it out and now he's one of the best coaches in the country?  Pretty much sounds like the exact situation we find ourselves in now, less knowing what the future will hold and having bare cupboards at the outset, not to mention a COVID year. 

IDK, when you actually look at it, it's not really that impressive. 

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

"After his opening three years in the Pac-12 in which the program went 18-19 overall and 9-18 in conference play, the Utes have been one of the best teams in the Pac-12. They've won nine games and finished better than .500 in conference play in six of the past seven seasons."

So, he walked in to a good situation by taking over a team established by Urban Myer, jumped from a Jr conference to a power 5 and sucked or was painfully mediocre for a few years, the program stuck with him, he figured it out and now he's one of the best coaches in the country?  Pretty much sounds like the exact situation we find ourselves in now, less knowing what the future will hold and having bare cupboards at the outset, not to mention a COVID year. 

IDK, when you actually look at it, it's not really that impressive. 

18-19 is better than 12-21. By your logic we should have kept Riley he was 19-19. 

we have no idea what his 18-19 looked like. It might have looked like a well disciplined team who lost to better teams. Easy to stick with things looking to trend in the right direction. We are not 

• Plus1 3

9 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

18-19 is better than 12-21. By your logic we should have kept Riley he was 19-19. 

we have no idea what his 18-19 looked like. It might have looked like a well disciplined team who lost to better teams. Easy to stick with things looking to trend in the right direction. We are not 

I think your missing the point of the post, but yes, you are correct; 18-19 and 19-19 are better than 12-21. I can see I won't be beating you in a Battle of wits any time soon LoL 

I really like Troy Calhoun. That flexbone option they run is a thing of beauty, and they were the leading rushing team in the country last year.

Ex-Boise St./Washington coach Chris Petersen would be my #1 pick though. Chadwell is intriguing but I'm not sure he'd come here. Then again, I guess we could say that about any of these guys.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I really like Troy Calhoun. That flexbone option they run is a thing of beauty, and they were the leading rushing team in the country last year.

Ex-Boise St./Washington coach Chris Petersen would be my #1 pick though. Chadwell is intriguing but I'm not sure he'd come here. Then again, I guess we could say that about any of these guys.

Chris Petersen is 56 years old and maintained a leadership role with Washington. Sounds like a fully retired man to me.

54 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

Chris Petersen is 56 years old and maintained a leadership role with Washington. Sounds like a fully retired man to me.

He resigned due to being stressed out at Washington. The grueling hours of a HC. Not sure why people think he’d be quick to come to this fish bowl.

• Plus1 1

Been reading this whole thread since it started. 
came to this:

Does hiring Trev give Frost his full 5 yrs (this year and next) to see what comes of his initial hiring (to “right the ship,” 5-6 yrs) or does Trev have the ability to see just this season no matter what and decide we move on?  

i was painfully disgusted by the illinoise game. Thought it was pretty abysmal. “More the same under Frost” for sure. Thank god we won this week and have 9 more to play. 

but after 1 game we calling for the head of the coach who has to turn it all around only to hand the keys to another guy who could struggle or benefit from what Frost has built or sucked at? 

I’d rather go thru this season, ranked 2nd toughest schedule by most, and see what his final 5th year of judgment  (that used to be the norm time given) can bring after next year. 

we can throw out names and records and accomplishments all day long of coaches from all over all day long. But it don’t mean s#!t. Big name guys who would have to be lured or smaller name guys who’ve “had success” at lesser knowns. 

I for one want to just watch the damn games this season. Make an unemotional decision about the state of the program at the END OF THE YEAR, and most likely give Frost his 5th year to reality prove it. 

Why call for firing when it’s been the most bizarre 3 yr start to a coaching career…1st game ever canceled, lockdown BS, 2nd toughest schedule, new AD, terrible cupboard, etc. 

I say, personally, he gets this yr and next to have his full 5 yrs. Especially if Martinez comes back for his own super 6 

PS:  espn literal headline today was “is this the beginning of the end of the Clemson dynasty”

Are you f#&%ing kidding me?!? Let’s not overreact of where we have been and where we want to be. 

• Plus1 1