Who do we hire?

19 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

First things first.  We need to win the West.  Without doing that consistently we aren't going to recruit the type of classes you're talking about.

If we developed at an equal level to our recruiting rankings how many West titles would we have won?  We've consistently underperformed our recruiting rankings.  Get the development and execution details fixed then this thing has a chance to snowball into a program where top recruits want to play again.  

Oh, I agree with that, no doubt. However our current recruiting class leaves much to be desired. We need someone who can pull in primarily 4* guys and have the staff to develop them and refine them and get the most out of them, and I just don't think Chin is the guy to do that. Another thing I like about Stoops (even though I doubt we'd land him) and other "older" coaches is that this would be a final destination, as opposed to a younger guy who might view Nebraska as merely a stepping stone.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, GlobalHusker said:

I’m waiting for plays like Frost to Davison to win the game vs Mizzou. A play like that never happens for us now. I don’t think that’s due to coaching or talent.

If Frost to Davison happened today, it might get overturned by the refs and there would be no National Championship. 

• Haha 1
On 9/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, Treand3 said:

We ended up with Mike Riley because the administration tied itself to MR out the gate to be an anti Pelini.....and our AD was an idiot. 

The administration first reached out to Brett Beilema --- nobody's favorite nice guy -- and he turned us down. Mike was gone after 2.5 seasons, so being nice hardly saved him. 

We are tied only to the coaches who want to come here, and some Husker fans seem to think guys who are already wealthy and successful at P5 schools just need to be asked. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, SECHusker said:

I think the recruiting thing is being overblown. While some level of talent is needed, development is needed more. Can't think of any team in our division that out recruits us annually, and yet we are the new whipping boy. Chins has something going where he able to develop a defense of mostly 3 players into something special.

I agree with you.  On paper we have had the best recruiting class in the BIG West over the past 5 seasons when you average our annual 247 composite.  Now I realize some of those players have transferred just like they do at every school, but talent is not the reason we continue to struggle to win games.  We have had the talent the past couple seasons to compete in nearly every game, and if we end up with a new coach, that coach will continue to have the ability to bring in top 20 recruiting classes.  

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with you.  On paper we have had the best recruiting class in the BIG West over the past 5 seasons when you average our annual 247 composite.  Now I realize some of those players have transferred just like they do at every school, but talent is not the reason we continue to struggle to win games.  We have had the talent the past couple seasons to compete in nearly every game, and if we end up with a new coach, that coach will continue to have the ability to bring in top 20 recruiting classes.  

We won't be getting a new coach 

You heard it here first.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

After all these years, I'm siding with TheSker this week.

I've seen enough to like in the last two weeks against ranked teams to call it progress. 

It's a fragile feeling and will require a straight up win against Northwestern. 

I'm not sure I'll soon forget the end of Mike Riley's tenure.  We literally list the last games by 100 points 

Frost said a few things when he accepted the job that he probably wouldn't say if he had it to do over again.

He was, and still is, a young head coach.  When you have an undefeated season in your second year as a head coach and named national coach of the year, it probably seems like the college football world is at your feet 

What I do believe though is he recognized how important some things were.....like Husker Power and the walk on program.

When Pelini was coach, Corey Raymond made a comment about how small we were compared to South Carolina.

Frost made a similar remark after his first game against Michigan.

Frost did something about it.

Frost has a learning curve, but he is slowly turning this thing around 

I love Nebraska football, but none of us on this forum love it more than Scott Frost 

GBR

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Honest question.  Say Frost stays, what about his staff?  Would you keep them all or let some go?  If some would go, who would let go?

My first thought is never to fire someone.  That's emotional and knee jerk.

Obviously Austin is a scapegoat right now, but Frost is working directly with him and the OL.

Let's see how it goes 

This Husker team has soooo much potential and more than half the OL still has 2-3 years eligibility left 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My first thought is never to fire someone.  That's emotional and knee jerk.

Obviously Austin is a scapegoat right now, but Frost is working directly with him and the OL.

Let's see how it goes 

This Husker team has soooo much potential and more than half the OL still has 2-3 years eligibility left 

I can respect that. Thanks

16 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm not sure I'll soon forget the end of Mike Riley's tenure.  We literally list the last games by 100 points 

Frost said a few things when he accepted the job that he probably wouldn't say if he had it to do over again.

He was, and still is, a young head coach.  When you have an undefeated season in your second year as a head coach and named national coach of the year, it probably seems like the college football world is at your feet 

What I do believe though is he recognized how important some things were.....like Husker Power and the walk on program.

When Pelini was coach, Corey Raymond made a comment about how small we were compared to South Carolina.

Frost made a similar remark after his first game against Michigan.

Frost did something about it.

Frost has a learning curve, but he is slowly turning this thing around 

I love Nebraska football, but none of us on this forum love it more than Scott Frost 

GBR

I'm trying my damndest to agree with you, and the first thing you do is go Mike Riley on me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1