Who do we hire?

For all of those who feel there is no better coach we can land at Nebraska, I am curious why you feel this way.  Even if Nebraska has stunk for many years, it still has a strong history with brand recognition, and it's part of a reputable conference.  With the right amount of money, and with a coach that likes challenges or has a history of turnarounds, this Nebraska job could be a great fit.  Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a good coach, and we have tried with Riley and Frost and both have underperformed.  This does not mean that a new person coming into this job will have the same fate. 

• Plus1 1

I said it when he was hired, that if Frost can't turn this thing around, no one can, and if this program is going to suck I'd rather it be with a Cornhusker and Nebraskan at the helm then some outsider. I still feel this way. Therefore if we have a coaching change and a coaching search, I have no idea where we go or who we look to.

Anyone from Saban's staff tends to flame out as a head coach. Picking SEC assistants doesn't seem to work anywhere else. We aren't getting another Power 5 head coach to come here. Since Callahan I have been adamant against NFL coaches, but maybe it's worth another try, as long as they surround themselves with college football assistants. But I don't know anymore, maybe go after Wisconsin's defensive or offensive coordinator? Pluck some of these big time Big Ten program assistants?

I'm so deflated with all this. Absolutely burns to see Frost not working out and I refuse to give up on him, but this program is dead. It's sunk. It's over. Let this thing burn and rebuild it from the dirt under the ashes. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

For all of those who feel there is no better coach we can land at Nebraska, I am curious why you feel this way.  Even if Nebraska has stunk for many years, it still has a strong history with brand recognition, and it's part of a reputable conference.  With the right amount of money, and with a coach that likes challenges or has a history of turnarounds, this Nebraska job could be a great fit.  Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a good coach, and we have tried with Riley and Frost and both have underperformed.  This does not mean that a new person coming into this job will have the same fate. 

I’d imagine few outsiders understand the politics that surround the football program. Even fewer understand both the politics and the Big Ten (ie- Mike Riley). We hurt our credibility nationally by running off two of our past five coaches coming off 9-win seasons. For most, 9 wins a year and playing in the conference title game every other year merits a contract extension. Although other factors were at play, our decisions certainly didn’t make us any more desirable. 

I believe Frost is still the right coach to rebuild the program long-term. I believe this because of the learning curve that has been painful to watch the past few years. Obviously on the field success has been very hard to come by and this process has been slower than anyone would want. But at some point we need to commit to coach and see it through. He spent the first three years turning over the roster and getting the right body types (tall, big dudes) into the program. I think they're trying to get more committed to an offensive philosophy change by running the ball more but they struggled yesterday to stay on it once we got down. Time will tell but always looking for who we can throw money at next is not a good exercise for anyone’s well being. Gotta suck it up and ride with Frosty and hope it all comes together as the year goes on.

• Plus1 2

If Frost can turn things around to limp into a bowl, it'll be huge. Maybe that is the problem, we all drank the kool-aid that was being poured starting in June, we all fell for it once again. We all fell for the local sports articles, the social media videos, and the podium talk, but in reality this team, which has been a 4 win program the last 4 years, is maybe, maybe at best a 7 win team, with 6 wins being almost a lofty goal, but one that gets us to a bowl game.

So maybe this loss to Illinois was actually a more realistic outcome than many of us wanted to believe. Maybe Frost came into this job knowing the program must burn to the ground and hit rock bottom and he was the director of that ship. 

I mean we can't have a more better situation on paper for our coaching staff and athletic department. From the coaching staff, to the athletic program the place is filled with former players who were around in the 1990's. Maybe that is why they are here, to burn it down out of necessity, and UNL knew the fans would give them longer leashes because they are all former players, they knew we'd give them time and ride it out threw the rock bottom times, which is now. Maybe, just maybe they start to bring this thing back up together.

Also, I could have just poured myself a new pitcher of kool-aid.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

They just signed Frost to a new contract for the next 5 years they can't afford to keep paying two coaches every year. Although here's an idea instead of paying two coaches 5 million a year pay one 10 million I mean with that amount of cash even Urban Meyers would be interested

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I said it when he was hired, that if Frost can't turn this thing around, no one can, and if this program is going to suck I'd rather it be with a Cornhusker and Nebraskan at the helm then some outsider. I still feel this way. Therefore if we have a coaching change and a coaching search, I have no idea where we go or who we look to.

I thought this same thing all along also but yesterday convinced me that is just wrong.  We have talent on the roster and watching again as someone outcoached Frost proved to me that all we need is a competent coach to be competitive again quickly.  The cupboard isn't dry but we are witnessing this staff take players and make them worse.  Not only are we not punching above our weight like Iowa and Wisconsin, we are dragging ourselves down to the bottom of the conference with sheer incompetence.

I thought if Frost can't do it no one can but that is when I thought Frost really knew what he was doing.  Meaning if a very good coach couldn't save NU it would be over, and I still believe that, but we still haven't seen that.  Frost is not a good head coach and should go be an OC somewhere again.  Trev needs to find us a really good head coach and see what happens.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Bledred said:

How many struggling football coaches in NU history have had a new boss (AD) come in and have also kept their job the following year/season?  Not many. 

I should have clarified.  Regarding this all  this "evidence" you mentioned that will prevent a buyout.  Where is that coming from?

If there ever was to be a coaching change and I'm not saying there should be.  You go get a "proven" P5 (preferably with B1G experience or ties) coach who's had success before.  We can afford it.  Getting 8-9 wins sounds pretty damn good right about now.  No career .500 guy, no fired NFL coach  w/ no college experience, no more taking chances on an up and coming coordinator, no promoting from within.  There may not be a ton of those guys out there, but that's what search firms and $$ are for.  Plus Trev seems like the kind of AD a coach would want to work for.

Since Devaney and perhaps ever, we have not hired this guy.  That's 6 coaches and only one has worked out, and granted that one turned into a legend.  But, to me that's pretty eye opening.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I thought this same thing all along also but yesterday convinced me that is just wrong.  We have talent on the roster and watching again as someone outcoached Frost proved to me that all we need is a competent coach to be competitive again quickly.  The cupboard isn't dry but we are witnessing this staff take players and make them worse.  Not only are we not punching above our weight like Iowa and Wisconsin, we are dragging ourselves down to the bottom of the conference with sheer incompetence.

I thought if Frost can't do it no one can but that is when I thought Frost really knew what he was doing.  Meaning if a very good coach couldn't save NU it would be over, and I still believe that, but we still haven't seen that.  Frost is not a good head coach and should go be an OC somewhere again.  Trev needs to find us a really good head coach and see what happens.

I've seen Frost's body of work as a positional coach, offensive coordinator and head coach. He isn't a bad coach. I think his assistants are inexperienced and not that good but he is invested in them because he knows them and is friends with them. I think he needs to cut ties with these friends that he's given coaching jobs to and look for experienced, well rounded coaches. I think these hiring decisions is an example of the inexperience of Frost as a head coach and he hasn't had the time to create this huge network of coaches he could reach out to for assistant and positional jobs. 

I mean our offensive coordinator worked at a credit union before we brought him back to coaching football. That wraps up a lot of things right there.

9 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I've seen Frost's body of work as a positional coach, offensive coordinator and head coach. He isn't a bad coach. I think his assistants are inexperienced and not that good but he is invested in them because he knows them and is friends with them. I think he needs to cut ties with these friends that he's given coaching jobs to and look for experienced, well rounded coaches. I think these hiring decisions is an example of the inexperience of Frost as a head coach and he hasn't had the time to create this huge network of coaches he could reach out to for assistant and positional jobs. 

I mean our offensive coordinator worked at a credit union before we brought him back to coaching football. That wraps up a lot of things right there.

All the things you mentioned are what make him a bad HEAD coach.  I said he should go be an OC again, he is a good assistant coach I agree but he needs to not be a head man anymore. 

He also needs to sort his life out before doing anything.  The rumors I was hearing personally have been exactly repeated in a DM here, and I saw the exact thing on twitter this morning, on a t shirt no less.  Where there is smoke, there is fire more often than not.