What did we learn? Illinois Edition

I liked the fight. We were down 30-9, still came back to give ourselves a chance. Defense stepped up the last quarter. 

Also, I get that we've scrapped the bubble screens, but a jailbreak screen or middle screen would have been money the last drive and other times. Especially with guys like Toure, Manning, Oliver, and Betts.

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, roadrat said:

Frost continues to go away from things that work. Where the hell did our running backs disappear to? Throwing the ball around the stadium with a scatter armed QB doesn't work. Oh wait, this is nothing new. Guess we haven't learned a dam thing.

Yep there’s no system or scheme except let’s see what AM can do today. If he’s off which is often we just fold.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know how you can play that poorly of a second quarter, go into the locker room to re-group and re-stategize, then come out and play even worse in the third quarter. 

Unless your coach is terrible at his job. 

I will never give Scott Frost the benefit of the doubt again. 

Add me to this camp. I’m done apologizing for him. It’s beyond embarrassing at this point.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I liked the fight. We were down 30-9, still came back to give ourselves a chance. Defense stepped up the last quarter. 

Also, I get that we've scrapped the bubble screens, but a jailbreak screen or middle screen would have been money the last drive and other times. Especially with guys like Toure, Manning, Oliver, and Betts.

The defense didn't step up. Like a lot of teams that go up 30-9, Illinois played not to lose. Sometimes that will come back to bite you, but not against Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, roadrat said:

Frost continues to go away from things that work. Where the hell did our running backs disappear to? Throwing the ball around the stadium with a scatter armed QB doesn't work. Oh wait, this is nothing new. Guess we haven't learned a dam thing.

I’m telling you, he wants to get fired. He’s not use to struggling. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I thought the defense played great early.  I think that side of the ball has potential if the offense and ST will quit putting them in crappy situations.  

If ST were just neutral, we would have won. 

they don’t even have to be good, just serviceable and predictable 

• Plus1 1

When we have special teams and penalties like this in a game, it takes away pretty much all my motivation to even go back through this one and analyze it. You just will almost never overcome that level of stupidity in those two phases like we saw on this level. But...

-Shouldn't have had the safety

-Shouldn't have missed the PAT

That would put the score at 28-24 instead of 30-22.

Then if Martinez hits the TD pass in the first half that was just like 10 inches too high, it's actually 28-28 (because we got a field goal on that drive). But like, we're a dumpster fire of a team. We f****** suck. 

I can't believe how our punt and kickoff returners are not trained on when to let the damn ball bounce and when to take a fair catch AND GET THE BALL ON THE 25. We f***** that second one up yet again in the second half, even. One of the dumbest things you can do in the college game...not getting it out even past your own 20 when taking a fair catch puts the ball on the 25.

The special teams bull**** is pretty much insurmountable.

• Plus1 2