What did we learn? Illinois Edition

1 hour ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

Well we learned that Frost’s body language is easier to read than than the Illini defense. His arms were crossed during the postgame presser today, same as they were when he appeared that day with Alberts to sort of discuss the NCAA investigation. Not real sure he wants this gig much longer. 

TBH, I thought the same thing watching the sideline shots.  Seemed like a man resigned to his fate.  And really didn't care.

15 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Frost cares about this team, this program and this state.  Maybe too much.  Its hard to please people when reality is were not living in the 90's anymore, and we are not football royality anymore.

True, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have high standards. There is no reason - none - why we can't be on Wisconsin's level.

• Plus1 6

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I thought the defense played great early.  I think that side of the ball has potential if the offense and ST will quit putting them in crappy situations.  

Havent read through this whole thread yet, maybe tomorrow.  But I agree, our defense looked good and played good.  Allowing 21 points is enough to win any game.  Loved seeing Payne and the fellas throwing the bones! 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

At this point I'm starting to think year 8 or whatever of Mike Riley would have me feeling much better than this. Oh how I miss the Pelini days. Wasn't a huge fan of the guy but at this point its impossible not to want at least that level of success back. 

In fairness, neither Youngstown State or LSU is missing Bo Pelini either. 

It would be interesting to know how many teams, over the course of a 12 game season, will do the following:

Field a punt for a safety

Miss 2 PATs

Have a fumble returned for a TD

Have 30 yards in penalties on one play

Have 2 punts travel less than 30 yards

Mistake 1st and goal for 4th and 1

Nebraska did all of that in one game.  One game. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What did we learn?

I don't think we learned much, and that's too bad because what I had hoped we would have learned was that it looks like we have a team who is mentally prepared for a football game.

But, on the day we saw:

Cam Taylor Britt attempt to return an obvious touchback, directly resulting in a safety.

Culp missing an extra point.

Caleb Tannor being penalized 30 yards negating a play where the defense forced a turnover.

Adrian Martinez turning the ball over for the 36th time, and what feels like at least the 20th time turning the ball over when you absolutely cannot turn it over.

Culp missing ANOTHER extra point.

That team went and gave Illinois 18 points through their mistakes. It looked no different than any of these other 13 1 possession losses we've accrued under Frost.

When is Frost going to care about special teams? It's so obvious he doesn't given the lack of scholarship players and staff. 

The defense for the most part did their job. Forced sacks, got pressure on the few times Illinois threw. Tackled well. Was generally okay and competent. Will be curious what a more potent attack does.

The offense is broken. Passes take too long to develop, the line can't protect for very long. I think there's more depth at receiver. But we need to simplify. It all feels too complex and slow. 

Martinezs footwork must not have ever been the focus of coach verduzco, because Adrians footwork is still inconsistent, and that leads to the inaccuracies in the passing game. The QB whisperer is starting to be revealed as a fraud.

Easier and tougher tests lie ahead, but certainly not what any of us were hoping to see to inspire belief that this year will feel any different.

• Plus1 1

1. Adrian is never gonna be the answer. He's exciting to watch, but for every good thing he does, there are two bad things.

2. If we are cheating to get better at special teams, then..... we better cheat some more. A lot more.

3. Why do we always get a targeting / roughing call at the worst possible time in every game we play?

• Plus1 3

How the hell did our ST's manage to get even worse?  Seemed to make a coaching upgrade. Supposedly cranked-up attention/time given to ST's. Our punting was horrible, we gave Cerni a schollie for that?  CTB just handed Illinois 2pts and the ball. Culp can't make a freaking extra point. 

Frost's insistence on bringing a whole G5 staff over and inability to part with any coach he's tight with continues to haunt us. 

Still have the hallmarks of a team that's not well-coached. Wasn't expecting big things this season but did think we'd make a freaking bowl, would be very surprised if we manage that now. Don't like saying it but we probably witnessed the beginning of the end today.