What did we learn? Illinois Edition

7 hours ago, Husker4Real said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams, over the course of a 12 game season, will do the following:

Field a punt for a safety

Miss 2 PATs

Have a fumble returned for a TD

Have 30 yards in penalties on one play

Have 2 punts travel less than 30 yards

Mistake 1st and goal for 4th and 1

Nebraska did all of that in one game.  One game. 

There are just some games that all you have to do is not make any major unforced errors and you win, but Nebraska can never seem to do that.  It seems like it is always 4 or 5 minimum.  Between the stuff above and missing two wide open receivers for basically touchdowns, we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. 

I feel like we should be prepping the next QB this year, particularly if Frost is going to get another year, we need to get a QB in there that isn't going to be starting his first career game next season.  Illinois just won with its backup.  If we have no one capable, that is a huge indictment on the coaching staff.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Husker4Real said:

It would be interesting to know how many teams, over the course of a 12 game season, will do the following:

Field a punt for a safety

Miss 2 PATs

Have a fumble returned for a TD

Have 30 yards in penalties on one play

Have 2 punts travel less than 30 yards

Mistake 1st and goal for 4th and 1

Nebraska did all of that in one game.  One game. 

Comment gold.  Pure gold. 

download.gif

2 hours ago, RichardHangslow said:

What bothers me the most is that we do not have a solid second string QB to push Martinez. Martinez looked really bad. His throws have zero emphasis on getting to the receiver. That wheel route to the RB should have been a td. He really did not do anything to impress me. Zero running game.  

The Manning Passing Academy is held at my alma mater (Nicholls State) and each year I attend and talk to the young guys and try to put Nebraska in their ear. I remember Taylor Martinez attended one year. The general consensus of the guys I talked to - other than that they don't know much about Nebraska, and think Lincoln is in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing to do there - is that Coach Verduzo is odd/strange/weird. That, coupled with the fact that Adrian seems to have regressed from his freshman year - isn't good. That's why we've had to "reach" and take project QBs like McCaffrey, Smothers, & Heinberg. None of them are Big Ten caliber QBs. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Comment gold.  Pure gold. 

download.gif

People also forget about the overthrown passes that would have results in points. Our QB is an idi@t. He might look good in practice but he is dragging this team down. Why does our team make mistakes? If our QB can do it with no consequences so can we.

12 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Frost cares about this team, this program and this state.  Maybe too much.  Its hard to please people when reality is were not living in the 90's anymore, and we are not football royality anymore.

This was a good post for a pelini team, not a team that's gonna struggle to win 3 games

I rewatched a big chunk of the game again last night.  Where are these track athletes we were supposed to be recruiting?  Our WR's and TE's are SLOW.  Our WR's didn't cause any problems on the D's backend and our TE's only got open when their linebackers were screened by the umpire.  Otherwise, they couldn't outrun a LB.  If you don't have the speed to take the top off of the defense, then everything else goes to hell passing-wise.  There's got to be a downfield threat and we either don't have any or Frost is keeping those guys on the bench again.  

• Plus1 1