What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The hard part is, it's very hard to voice criticism about this program. Nebraska fans don't want to hear it, even if it's the truth. In their eyes, all of our recruits are 5* future Hall of Famers and our coaches would make Vince Lombardi envious. 

I don't think you'll find more than fanatical resistance after today. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look now.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't think you'll find more than fanatical resistance after today. It's obvious to anyone who cares to look now.

I voiced concern when Riley was hired and was condemned. Voiced concern about recruiting classes and was put on blast. Fans just don't want to accept the reality of the situation. I was elated when we got Frost but it's obvious that some changes need to be made. Hire some NFL assistants who know what the hell they're doing to coach the OL and QBs and special teams.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

What I think I would have done if I had been Frost in the second half was rolling Adrian out. We didn't see that until the second half, and by that point it was too late to overcome the momentum shift and point differential.

Agree.  Never has been or will be a good pocket passer, but can be dangerous (to the defense) on roll outs.  

I keep hearing our backup QBs aren’t good. Well, it may be a move needed to be made just to show the fan base he isn’t willing to just go down with the sinking ship that is Martinez. 

If we are going to go 4-8 this year, I’d rather go 3-9 with whatever young QB we got than a four year senior who get us 4 or 5 wins

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I keep hearing our backup QBs aren’t good. Well, it may be a move needed to be made just to show the fan base he isn’t willing to just go down with the sinking ship that is Martinez. 

If we are going to go 4-8 this year, I’d rather go 3-9 with whatever young QB we got than a four year senior who get us 4 or 5 wins

I agree. I just have trouble believing we’d lose more games with Smothers than Martinez. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

AM isn't executing at the level needed to make this offense click. Sure, there are quite a few things that don't help - bad snaps, poor line play, etc. But, Nebraska had open WR's today. Guys with a half a step to a step on their defender. He either couldn't see them, didn't have the confidence to make the throw, or just missed the throw entirely. And it's been that story for four years now. It was excusable as a true freshman and even as a sophomore, but not so much as a senior. We're also talking about a guy that got benched as a junior because of his struggles.

Nebraska doesn't need an elite QB there, but they need better than what AM has to offer... full stop. It's just not good enough.

I know there has been debate in this board about this term, but NU needs a game manager.  A guy who plays within the system and his abilities.  Who can execute the offense and get the ball to the playmakers.  We don't need a guy who can take over the game.  I'd take Zac Lee (2009) Zach Tayor or Ganz. (I would say Ganz was more of a playmaker). Over AM.....  Just get the ball to the playmakers.  I guess another problem is who the hell are our playmakers in year 4?  And that's a whole other thread.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I know there has been debate in this board about this term, but NU needs a game manager.  A guy who plays within the system and his abilities.  Who can execute the offense and get the ball to the playmakers.  We don't need a guy who can take over the game.  I'd take Zac Lee (2009) Zach Tayor or Ganz. (I would say Ganz was more of a playmaker). Over AM.....  Just get the ball to the playmakers.  I guess another problem is who the hell are our playmakers in year 4?  And that's a whole other thread.

You don’t remember how trash Zac Lee was, do you? He had a very talented receiving Corp and two very good backs that made TMart a easy freshman starter. A lot of other Nebraska QBs could have directed that 09 team to a BCS/national title shot.

Ganz was a gun slinger and although he had issues, he let it rip for better or worse. Most times it was better and that is what you will take when you can’t rely on your defense.

Too much misdirection.  It was a simple smash mouth type of game.  Wear them down, throw some sideline passes, and open it up occasionally (deep ball).  

I feel like the offense wanted to run these misdirection plays too much, instead of taking what the defense gave them.  I give credit to illinois and their coaching for not taking the bait.

• Plus1 1

Our O-line and WRs aren't half of what was advertised over the offseason, and it's still the same QB who has never proven to be a winner.

We came into the season knowing we didn't really have a runningback, that shouldn't surprise anyone, also doesn't help.

We seem to have quality TEs but it doesn't appear anyone who matters wants them involved in the offensive gameplan.

My question is what's not wrong with the offense?

• Thanks 1

Lol to the posters wanting the backup qb

2AM is trash no doubt, but did we already forget the sorry excuse that the LMc experiment was last year?

this teams issues are broader than 2AM

he’s prolly 40% of it BUT…

CTB also a captain played like a moron today with that safety 

we can’t even kick a god damn extra point

WE DONT HAVE AN IDENTITY ON OFFENSE AND THAT STARTS AND ENDS WITH FROST

Bielema came out today and first play was play action… never forgot the run game, and f’n embarrassed us with not only a backup but a transfer backup at that 

I really wanted this to work but it’s blatantly clear that Scott frost put too much stock and loyalty in a coaching staff that is in over its head offensively…. I was shocked to hear the claim by the announcer that last year was the worst offensive team in 45 years- mind you, in a day in age where spread concepts has made offense king

HOW IS MARIO VERDUZCO STILL EMPLOYED HERE. For f#&%s sake- we can’t develop QBs, we can’t recruit QBs yet we keep this clown on this staff and also have a piss poor special teams unit, AGAIN, with no defined coach focusing on it

THIS IS NOT ONE THING AILING THIS TEAM. ITS SYSTEMIC- IT STARTS AND ENDS WITH THE CEO

I DONT EVEN REMEMBER WHAT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT AND I DONT KNOW WHY IM WRITING THIS IN CAPS BUT I DO KNOW IM SICK AND f#&%ING TIRED OF TUNING INTO THE SAME GOD DAMN TRAIN WRECK EVERY F’N WEEK. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, deedsker said:

You don’t remember how trash Zac Lee was, do you? He had a very talented receiving Corp and two very good backs that made TMart a easy freshman starter. A lot of other Nebraska QBs could have directed that 09 team to a BCS/national title shot.

Ganz was a gun slinger and although he had issues, he let it rip for better or worse. Most times it was better and that is what you will take when you can’t rely on your defense.

Zac lit it up (admittedly against non-con creampuffs) before he played the entire rest of the season with a torn elbow.

Wasn't good but we never got to see if it was him or the injury.