What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

I hate to keep laying it on Adrian but so much of it really boils down to him. He’s indecisive, can’t throw receivers open, and struggles to make the easy throws when they are there. He’s a great runner but is  a turnover machine. Just a recipe for disaster in Frost’s offense. And it’s just my opinion but it just doesn’t seem like he has the fire in his belly that you want your team leader to have. Drives me crazy how he never seems to have a sense of urgency until late in the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Smothers or Haarberg would have been throwing off their back foot too.  Too many missed protections from the OL and RB positions.  Protections are key to any offense, and we blew them regularly yesterday.

When Frost said he "guessed wrong" about the front they'd see from Illinois he was spot on.

It's part of the deal with a guy who is beginning his 6th season with the title of head coach in a league with some very very experienced head coaches 

• Haha 2

I said this on another thread that appears to have been deleted:

The problem with the offense is that you have predicated it on location of a "piece" that is nearly impossible to find: a true dual-threat QB.  That is what Martinez was supposed to be, and that is what McCaffrey was supposed to be.  But neither are.  They are running backs that can throw the ball a little bit.

True dual-threat QB's exist at a rate of about 0-2 per year nationally.  So predicating your offensive strategy on having the services of one is unwise.  That is why you lose and lose and lose.  It is a bad plan.

You CAN win.  First seek to possess the ball, play strong D, and prioritize mistake-free disciplined football.  Then add at least two #1 NFL-caliber WR's, plus a game manager QB.  Then you will compete for a title.

Stop with the dual-threat nonsense.  You will only lose again and again.  You are trying to build a machine that requires a "piece" that is simply too rare to locate.  Enough!

The best part about playing offense is that it's fun. Unfortunately, the Offense is there to save Scott's career and not just go out and have fun. And when that's the case, you have nervous play on every drive. The offense looked tight, and scared to just let it rip. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Austin would be a scapegoat. I’m not proclaiming him to have the best unit, but he’s been handcuffed by decisions that I would assume are out of his control. If he’s run game “coordinator” then he should be begging to lean on the run game and not abandon it (Illinois didn’t and threw body shots at the defense until the Blackshirts wore down in the heat and put the game out of reach). If he’s not pissed AF at the playcalling and demanding more from Held, Lubick, and Frost for having QBs and RBs ready, then it is on him for not speaking up. 

The decision to not go after any JUCO OL was Frost’s decision from a former player’s advice. That backfired and created a depth chart where they processed out Riley guys and left with the youth we have now and a converted TE. 

Mario could go, does he even teach mechanics or is Adrian uncoachable? Find someone who can recruit, make Frost take over that position group and hire full time special teams and recruit someone who can field punts, kick a PAT, and punt a ball more effectively. 

I don’t know what to expect and could be convinced either direction, but as Trev indicated in the presser, is that there needs to be reciprocating trust with the coaches in AD. If Frost and Trev have a trust where Frost owns his mistakes and shows maturation and growth, then I believe he’ll have a 5th year.