What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

On 8/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

I heard Damon make this point on the radio and it stuck with me. There is notable lack of trust between players and coaches.  Especially on offense. Morrison is told he has an awesome camp and is in the mix for the top spot, he doesn't get a carry. Rahmir is not brought up at all, becomes the lead back in crunch time. Betts is told he has an awesome camp, doesn't play a snap outside special teams. Frost wants to be a physical downhill running team, passes on 3rd and short. Frost wants to cut down on the QB runs to keep AM healthy, AM runs 5+ more times than any of the RBs. 

Frost's words are empty and players know it. I'm not surprised most of our attrition comes from one side of the ball. There is no consistency on what they want the offense to be, he never puts in motion the words that come out of his mouth. 

I can't plus this enough.  I said this in another thread, the culture problem is Frost.  

• Plus1 1

I would prefer our offense to do the following until we get a competent QB into the system.

1). Huddle and play call in the huddle.  It helps give the QB time to read the defense vs the whole everyone look to the sideline and barely have time to scan the defense prior to snapping the ball.  I truly believe AM doesn’t really know his reads based of defensive alignment because he doesn’t have time to presnap read his keys.  

2). More under center plays to help facilitate a done bill running attack and better play action/boot plays.  

3).  More quick read 1 or 2 read and throw or run plays  and more isolation deep sideline 50/50 balls. 

4). I like us finally utilizing some pick plays with the WR’s.  They just need to disguise it better to avoid the penalties. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/30/2021 at 1:12 AM, FTW said:

Why can’t we ditch the whole spread offense philosophy? We tried to run power in the B12 in 2008 if you guys remember and we went to more of a spread offense. Why can’t we be multiple and just go back to a basic power run play action pass team? Drop the no huddle crap use it when it’s absolutely necessary. Never underestimate the power of a huddle.

I think he needs to do the hard part which Solich figured out in 2003 and that is he needs to revamp his entire offense and replace his entire weak offensive staff. Frost is way in over his head. 

Our defense is built for B1G offenses why can’t offense be built for B1G defense as well? We’re never going to consistently recruit 5 star receivers. We’re never going to be able to do what Ohio State is doing. Face it we need to be doing what Iowa and Wisconsin are doing and that’s producing NFL line talent with solid running backs and a difference maker at tight end/receiver. Beat our craft over and over, simple basic fundamentals,

I knew the offense Frost would bring from UCF wouldn’t go over well with our fan base. They expected good old fashioned Husker Power like the glimpse we saw vs OSU last year where I-Formation was working. We didn’t expect this s#!t show.

Not much to not like in this post.  Solid points.  Someone had mentioned above above about Frosts way is not thee way, but a way regarding a true dual threat QB.  I went back and looked at Ganz in (oddly enough 2008).  The part I loved the most?  We were number 2 in the nation in time of possession.  Remember Illinois 8 minute drive in the 100 degree heat....Ganz was not highly recruited, wasn't the end all end all, but he could ball.  And more importantly get the ball to the playmakers.....Something we have yet to see a Scott Frost QB at NU do.

The 6-1, 210-pound Ganz engineered a Nebraska offense that became one of the most complete units in the country in the second half of the 2008 season. The Huskers ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing offense, total offense and scoring offense. Ganz also transformed Nebraska into one of the most efficient units in the country. The Huskers ranked second in the nation in time of possession and were among the Big 12 leaders in third-down conversions.

Listen to the Mike Schaefer segment from ULC. He put into words what I feel is the problem. The coaching staff. They do not have adequate awareness about any aspect of the game…practice, recruiting, game situation. 

I lack the knowledge and the words, but for me he nailed it. If you’re so inclined, it’s worth a listen. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Listen to the Mike Schaefer segment from ULC. He put into words what I feel is the problem. The coaching staff. They do not have adequate awareness about any aspect of the game…practice, recruiting, game situation. 

I lack the knowledge and the words, but for me he nailed it. If you’re so inclined, it’s worth a listen. 

That sounds bad

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

https://www.soundcloud.com/the-gary-sharp-show/august-30-segment-10-mike-schaefer-of-husker247

Here’s the link. Don’t recall Schaefer ever being that mad before but definitely a good listen.

• Plus1 1
On 8/29/2021 at 6:03 PM, Florida Husker Watcher said:

Not sure which particular part you disagree with.  But I'm sure there's plenty of material that's worthy of disagreement.

My main point is that your every decision has been based on the presupposition that you will have a dual-threat QB.  When, in fact, almost no such QB's exist.  And those that do largely go to Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson.  Frost is trying to repeat the Milton McKenzie miracle.  But that cannot reliably work.  So you fail again and again.

Permit me to be more specific.  You assume you'll have a dual-threat QB to fuel explosion.  So you recruit "explosive" WR's who can't run precise routes, but can freelance and produce YAC.  But you don't have a true dual-threat QB.  You have a running back who can throw a little bit (Martinez, McCaffrey).  ...So, now you have a QB that cannot throw the ball reliably paired with receivers that are not precisely where they should be precisely when they should be there - and who cannot "set up" cornerbacks with exacting route mechanics.  With regard to the WR's, that's not their fault.  They were supposed to be free-lancing explosive types who leveraged preoccupation of the entire defense (secondary included) on the QB.  But that didn't happen.  Because you ended up with a running back for a QB.  Now the whole thing doesn't work.

And this will repeat itself again and again.  Why?  Because there are between 0 and 2 true dual-threat QBs throughout the nation every year.  And you're unlikely to end up with one of them.  SO STOP PREDICATING YOUR ENTIRE FUTURE ON LANDING ONE.  You don't need one to succeed.  It's not the only path - it's just the only path you are pursuing.

Love it...nice work

1 hour ago, OreGUNHusker said:

Taylor and Adrian are the same.. not just in last name.. Horrid passers... amazing runners.. no one to hand off to.. 

Taylor Martinez was handing the ball off to Roy Helu Jr., Rex Burkhead, and Ameer Abdullah, who have combined 6 1,000 yard seasons in college and 22 years in the NFL... :blink::blink::blink:

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
39 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So to paraphrase the article, he says we have a chance......:P

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lo country said:

I can't plus this enough.  I said this in another thread, the culture problem is Frost.  

Definitely a Frost problem. Always makes me laugh when people when people say it's a Riley problem. Frost's offense has progressively gotten worst every year....I'm talking F+ (analytics/efficiency), yards per game, yards per play, points per game. The more Riley guys graduating, the worse Frost's offense plays. That's why if this trend continues, and we have another inept offense this year, and finish below .500, you have to get rid of him. Do we think this is gonna magically turn around with the worst recruiting class in the B1G and a 1st year QB? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

https://www.soundcloud.com/the-gary-sharp-show/august-30-segment-10-mike-schaefer-of-husker247

Here’s the link. Don’t recall Schaefer ever being that mad before but definitely a good listen.

And to be fair, I’ve only listened to the first 13 minutes while running errands. Now I can’t get the 16 to play. Maybe the tone changes. Drastically.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

It's odd that more media members don't become athletic directors.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

At Oregon Kids loved him.. I live here in Oregon... guys would run through walls for him.. year after year... same at UCF.. did he bump his head on a plane on the way to Lincoln? Or is someone else really running the show and he is just a cog in the machine? I heard Adam Carriker say.. Scott told him at UCF he had complete control and could do what he wanted... but not in Lincoln.. WTH? Remember the BIg10 Coach a few weeks back that said N had talent.. plenty of it BUT had something wrong internally? I think we all have to agree... look at all the Qb's, Rb, Wr that have come and gone in the last 3 years.... Noah Vedral is the really ugly example of a home grown kid to leave the state not 1x but twice? Scott got him back here.. eligible and he goes to Rutgers? WTH??? Wandale, Mills, Gebbia, Luke , TL, Avery Roberts, Mo Washington.. on and on and on.. Scott loses good talent.. look at the production from Mills, Wandale and Luke.. ? bye.. gone.. If this was a Company and top talent was leaving all the time, HR would shut the company down for a week to do a morale assessment and fix turnover.. but here ? no one wants to address it cuz its Scott Frost... OR its someone else sabotaging the program.. I don't know if its Scott's blind commitment to 2AM or someone making him play 2AM.... folks said the same about Bo and T-Magic.. so?

• Plus1 1