What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

21 minutes ago, Undone said:

I have to completely disagree.

You instantly give up the possession you just had and then you're kicking off from your own 20 instead of your 35...and they get two points.

Yeah once we started losing the position battle it began to snowball from there. Not sure who the hell coached Cam to drop back that far and field a punt from our own end zone :facepalm:

A little unrelated but, not so much — our offensive line was really a surprise for me to get concerned. I thought they’d be a lot better even in game 1 didn’t expect it to be so bad. Terrible coaching. Frost either is going to get fired married to this staff and his QB or he’s gonna have to make tough choices.

IMO NONE of the offensive assistants have done a good job. Austin hasn’t produced a good OL, Held never has a stable of running backs, our receivers aren’t that talented and our quarterback play has been lackluster through 4 years. We keep getting worse each year.

There’s literally no bright spot on offense.

• Plus1 2

Yeah...it sucks to think about quality talent like Benhart & Corcoran transferring out if Frost gets fired before their bodies really get fully built by their upperclassmen years. Even Piper.

At least the recruiting has been good. I want to stay positive and believe we could still have a good year again running the ball but at the same time, Illinois is one of those games you just can't really afford to lose if you want to even go 6-6 with the tough schedule we have.

• Plus1 1

Here's my take on what's wrong with our offense...we have scored less than our opponents in 2/3 of frosts games.  I'm no genius like some of you on here seem to be...but that probably isn't going to get it done.  

We really need to address that issue.  If we just start scoring more points than our opponents more regularly,  it'll probably equate to more wins.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Here's my take on what's wrong with our offense...we have scored less than our opponents in 2/3 of frosts games.  I'm no genius like some of you on here seem to be...but that probably isn't going to get it done.  

We really need to address that issue.  If we just start scoring more points than our opponents more regularly,  it'll probably equate to more wins.  

So in essence...

"You win when you score more points than your opponent." 

I wondered if Yogi Berra said this among his many quoted remarks, but I didn't see it.  But I do like this one:

"We made too many wrong mistakes."

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Yeah...it sucks to think about quality talent like Benhart & Corcoran transferring out if Frost gets fired before their bodies really get fully built by their upperclassmen years. Even Piper.

At least the recruiting has been good. I want to stay positive and believe we could still have a good year again running the ball but at the same time, Illinois is one of those games you just can't really afford to lose if you want to even go 6-6 with the tough schedule we have.

Piper’s got a long way to go. He’s was our lowest rated lineman last week, I believe. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Link?

• Haha 3
On 8/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, DevoHusker said:

Our line is sub-par.. again.

Begins and ends in the trenches 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Stumpy1 said:

I'm pissed that we have WRs like Manning, Betts and Nixon but we play Leiwer and such. 

I agree with what you're  saying. Frost said the players on the field are the one performing best in practice. They don't  do well in the game. Short routes, no second effort for first down yardage. The one penalty on the pick play due to poor execution killed us. Maybe we need to see if some players turn it on during game time?

• Plus1 2

I hate arm chair quarterbacking! Here I go. Our line looks terrible. I don't understand. That was the history of Husker football. The walk on pipeline. Making a average lineman good and  a good one great!  I thought Frost would bring that old style mentality back.This is the Big Ten. Smash Mouth. Run it down your throat football!  Our Front O & D Lines are getting humiliated everytime we take the field against a conference opponent. No established run game at all on offense.. In the passing game Martinez has no confidence in his protection when he is in the pocket. He can't  let the main play develop since he's  under pressure so fast. Then he makes sloppy check reads and usually passes to the last option or tucks and runs. 

Finally, there's  people like us. Whose glory days have long since faded or individuals that have never played a down of football in their life, criticizing the hell out of these players and coaches when we only know part of what's  going on. Think of the pressure these kids have on them. What we as fans put on them.  The sun won't rise over the state of Nebraska again if we have another losing season!

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

I hate arm chair quarterbacking! Here I go. Our line looks terrible. I don't understand. That was the history of Husker football. The walk on pipeline. Making a average lineman good and  a good one great!  I thought Frost would bring that old style mentality back.This is the Big Ten. Smash Mouth. Run it down your throat football!  Our Front O & D Lines are getting humiliated everytime we take the field against a conference opponent. No established run game at all on offense.. In the passing game Martinez has no confidence in his protection when he is in the pocket. He can't  let the main play develop since he's  under pressure so fast. Then he makes sloppy check reads and usually passes to the last option or tucks and runs. 

Finally, there's  people like us. Whose glory days have long since faded or individuals that have never played a down of football in their life, criticizing the hell out of these players and coaches when we only know part of what's  going on. Think of the pressure these kids have on them. What we as fans put on them.  The sun won't rise over the state of Nebraska again if we have another losing season!

Our D line was not humiliated on Saturday.

I would like whomever laughed at that to actually explain how this unit on the defense was humiliated.  FYI...you might want to really think about where Illinois was finally able to gain yards on the ground.

Here's a hint:

Nebraska’s defensive line as a whole did well, Tuioti said. The unit gave everything it had, and made Illinois test the outside rather that the inside in its run game.

“At the point of attack, I think those guys did a really good job of being able to stop the run early on and force the offense to start running to the perimeters and attack us there,” Tuioti said

LINK

There is a lot to be frustrated in this game.  However, no need to trash on players that actually did a decent job.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Definitely agree that our DLine wasn’t humiliated but I did notice this as well:

Thinking we need Casey Rogers back in the worst way. I haven’t seen a snap count yet but it legitimately felt like Robinson and Daniels never came off the field and there’s just no way that’s a viable solution in a 12 game season. Wildeman being a 4-star non-contributor to this point has been a bummer.

41 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Definitely agree that our DLine wasn’t humiliated but I did notice this as well:

Thinking we need Casey Rogers back in the worst way. I haven’t seen a snap count yet but it legitimately felt like Robinson and Daniels never came off the field and there’s just no way that’s a viable solution in a 12 game season. Wildeman being a 4-star non-contributor to this point has been a bummer.

From the article I linked above:

Casey Rogers and Colton Feist are a couple of Huskers who can help the team when they’re healthy. Both are still working to get back to 100 percent.

Feist is one of Tuioti’s favorites in his room. The Yutan, Nebraska, native plays with passion, is accountable and tough.

“He’s everything that we want in a football player,” Tuioti said said of Feist. “When you go through recruiting and you’re trying to go through the check list of, what kind of attributes do you have to have to play for us, he checks off all the boxes for us.”

It’s time to unleash the Polar Bear. Tuioti said fans will get their first look at Nash Hutmacher, nicknamed “Polar Bear” for his size and strength. Hutmacher is a 6-foot-4, 325-pound true freshman defensive lineman from South Dakota.

>> Tuioti gave credit to Caleb Tannor and Ty Robinson for making an impact on both of Pheldarius Payne’s sacks against the Illini.

>> Jordon Riley is a player Tuioti said will get more snaps in games. Like Daniels, he’s someone who has worked hard at improving his body for Big Ten play. “I need to do a better job of getting him in and getting him started,” Tuioti said.

• Plus1 1