What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Did people watch the game last night? The only gap between us and those teams is the O-line. Period. Ohio St has 5* athletes but they are the exception in the B10. MN showed that with a good OL they can hang. Their defense is def not as good as ours. 

I disagree. Their OL is a significant difference, but Ibrahim was the biggest. He was the best player on the field, and we don't have anyone who can carry the team on their back like he was doing. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I disagree. Their OL is a significant difference, but Ibrahim was the biggest. He was the best player on the field, and we don't have anyone who can carry the team on their back like he was doing. 

I'm not sure you can make that judgement based on how bad our O line was against Illinois.  Even Ibrahim has to have people blocking for him that gives him room to get up field and gain yards.

Rewatching our offense, I don't see very many plays where I thought a better RB could have gained significantly more yards.

• Fire 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure you can make that judgement based on how bad our O line was against Illinois.  Even Ibrahim has to have people blocking for him that gives him room to get up field and gain yards.

Rewatching our offense, I don't see very many plays where I thought a better RB could have gained significantly more yards.

I dunno, just seeing how he always fell forward and slipped through a lot of tackles - there was a massive difference when he got the ball versus Potts or Wiley. Their OL did a great job getting him into one on one situations, and it seemed like he got more yards than he should have every single time. And then the other guys would get 2-3 and go down.

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Did people watch the game last night? The only gap between us and those teams is the O-line. Period. Ohio St has 5* athletes but they are the exception in the B10. MN showed that with a good OL they can hang. Their defense is def not as good as ours. 

What up, ERN. Haven't seen you on as much these days.

Agreed. And obviously you also grade Minnesota on a curve for playing a Top 5 team as well; they get extra props for going up against the athletic front seven of OSU.

Minnesota had 203 yards on the ground. But where I was really impressed with their O line was when they really needed a passing play to keep the chains moving, they had pretty consistently good pass protection. That is huge.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

What up, ERN. Haven't seen you on as much these days.

Agreed. And obviously you also grade Minnesota on a curve for playing a Top 5 team as well; they get extra props for going up against the athletic front seven of OSU.

Minnesota had 203 yards on the ground. But where I was really impressed with their O line was when they really needed a passing play to keep the chains moving, they had pretty consistently good pass protection. That is huge.

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out.  Obviously, the two teams last night were more impressive than the two teams we all watched last Saturday.

But, it will be interesting to see how each develops over the season.  Is Minnesota a dominant player in the west?  Or, did they get lucky against OSU in the first game.  If you remember, last year we played OSU in the first game and we looked better than most thought we would (for a half).  Is Minnesota's O line really that good?  Or, did OSUs D line have a bad game.....or.....are they not as good as they usually are?

Is Illinois' D line better than most expected them to be?  Or is our O line really that bad?  Is our D line really good?  Or was Illinois' O line just bad in the first half?

Good thing is, we have a lot of football to watch to figure it out. 

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or, did they get lucky against OSU in the first game.  If you remember, last year we played OSU in the first game and we looked better than most thought we would (for a half).  Is Minnesota's O line really that good?

Agreed that we maybe don't know yet.

In our game against OSU last year we only put up 17 points, Minnesota put up 31. If the Illinois game is any indication we are in for another year of an offense that fails to match up points scored with offensive yards per game.

Practically Frost's trademark at this point.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed that we maybe don't know yet.

In our game against OSU last year we only put up 17 points, Minnesota put up 31. If the Illinois game is any indication we are in for another year of an offense that fails to match up points scored with offensive yards per game.

Practically Frost's trademark at this point.

That's why I added "for a half".

Just throwing this out there and I obviously have a biased view. I played at Eastern Washington and played with Aaron Best (current HC )...from a player perspective dude was as OL molded (nasty, attitude, technique) as you would want and as he moved into coaching that style translated to players...he should be a guy NU should look at for OL and play caller 

• Plus1 2

Throwing this out there. Use Smothers on single back sets with fly motion...you can run fly sweeps, toss with Smothers (d has to plan for a pass)...run Smothers on a dive with the motion (similar to QB draw), etc etc. Offensively we need to have as many cerebral threats that we can due to our lack of established physical threats right now...obviously this formation/utilization has limitations (don't want Smothers to have to pick up a blitzing LB or DL left free that the Rb would usually pick up)