What in the heck is wrong with our offense?

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Not much to not like in this post.  Solid points.  Someone had mentioned above above about Frosts way is not thee way, but a way regarding a true dual threat QB.  I went back and looked at Ganz in (oddly enough 2008).  The part I loved the most?  We were number 2 in the nation in time of possession.  Remember Illinois 8 minute drive in the 100 degree heat....Ganz was not highly recruited, wasn't the end all end all, but he could ball.  And more importantly get the ball to the playmakers.....Something we have yet to see a Scott Frost QB at NU do.

The 6-1, 210-pound Ganz engineered a Nebraska offense that became one of the most complete units in the country in the second half of the 2008 season. The Huskers ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing offense, total offense and scoring offense. Ganz also transformed Nebraska into one of the most efficient units in the country. The Huskers ranked second in the nation in time of possession and were among the Big 12 leaders in third-down conversions.

That 08 team was vastly superior in the talent department…

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Definitely a Frost problem. Always makes me laugh when people when people say it's a Riley problem. Frost's offense has progressively gotten worst every year....I'm talking F+ (analytics/efficiency), yards per game, yards per play, points per game. The more Riley guys graduating, the worse Frost's offense plays. That's why if this trend continues, and we have another inept offense this year, and finish below .500, you have to get rid of him. Do we think this is gonna magically turn around with the worst recruiting class in the B1G and a 1st year QB? 

Wanna hear something even scarier? How about another year of 2AM given he’s a junior and there is absolutely no way this clown gets drafted.. he’s gonna haunt our nightmares for ever 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

At Oregon Kids loved him.. I live here in Oregon... guys would run through walls for him.. year after year... same at UCF.. did he bump his head on a plane on the way to Lincoln? Or is someone else really running the show and he is just a cog in the machine? I heard Adam Carriker say.. Scott told him at UCF he had complete control and could do what he wanted... but not in Lincoln.. WTH? Remember the BIg10 Coach a few weeks back that said N had talent.. plenty of it BUT had something wrong internally? I think we all have to agree... look at all the Qb's, Rb, Wr that have come and gone in the last 3 years.... Noah Vedral is the really ugly example of a home grown kid to leave the state not 1x but twice? Scott got him back here.. eligible and he goes to Rutgers? WTH??? Wandale, Mills, Gebbia, Luke , TL, Avery Roberts, Mo Washington.. on and on and on.. Scott loses good talent.. look at the production from Mills, Wandale and Luke.. ? bye.. gone.. If this was a Company and top talent was leaving all the time, HR would shut the company down for a week to do a morale assessment and fix turnover.. but here ? no one wants to address it cuz its Scott Frost... OR its someone else sabotaging the program.. I don't know if its Scott's blind commitment to 2AM or someone making him play 2AM.... folks said the same about Bo and T-Magic.. so?

Mills had graduated and chose not to take an extra bonus year, as many players at programs all across the country did.

Gebbia got beat and transferred because he didn't want to be a backup. Quarterbacks all over the country do this all the time. Justin Fields did it, Joe Burrow did it, Kyler Murray did it, Jalen Hurts, on and on and on.

Maurice Washington was wanted for a felony sex crime that pleaded down and was a cancerous teammate.

Luke was given every opportunity and did not rise to the challenge, then ran to Louisville, then ran to Rice.

Roberts was unwilling or unable to do what the coaches were asking of him to get playing time, couldn't crack the 2-deep and left with 4 total career tackles at Nebraska. Did really well at OSU but sometimes its just not a right fit. 

Something is obviously wrong, but a really small number of transfers actually accurately provide the evidence for that. Nonetheless, it's very hard to envision Frost, the golden boy hometown hero savior, who claimed he wouldn't have come back in the past due to bad leadership/culture (Eichorst, Perlman, etc.) but eventually saw that things were different, and was hired by an outsider non-Nebraskan, not being in control of his program.

• Plus1 1

That's nice Loewarn but JD Spielman and W'andale Robinson - both of them starters and key members of our offense - were the 2 that have left the program that really for me had me begin wondering just exactly what 'other' things might be going on down there.  When you lose starting guys who were actually getting and were in the plans to keep getting meaningful touches something isn't right. 

They were both coached by our OC Lubick as well (JD heading into 2020) which honestly made me a while ago begin wondering how players were/are seeing/reacting to him.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

At Oregon Kids loved him.. I live here in Oregon... guys would run through walls for him.. year after year... same at UCF.. did he bump his head on a plane on the way to Lincoln? Or is someone else really running the show and he is just a cog in the machine? I heard Adam Carriker say.. Scott told him at UCF he had complete control and could do what he wanted... but not in Lincoln.. WTH? Remember the BIg10 Coach a few weeks back that said N had talent.. plenty of it BUT had something wrong internally? I think we all have to agree... look at all the Qb's, Rb, Wr that have come and gone in the last 3 years.... Noah Vedral is the really ugly example of a home grown kid to leave the state not 1x but twice? Scott got him back here.. eligible and he goes to Rutgers? WTH??? Wandale, Mills, Gebbia, Luke , TL, Avery Roberts, Mo Washington.. on and on and on.. Scott loses good talent.. look at the production from Mills, Wandale and Luke.. ? bye.. gone.. If this was a Company and top talent was leaving all the time, HR would shut the company down for a week to do a morale assessment and fix turnover.. but here ? no one wants to address it cuz its Scott Frost... OR its someone else sabotaging the program.. I don't know if its Scott's blind commitment to 2AM or someone making him play 2AM.... folks said the same about Bo and T-Magic.. so?

Reading this post made me think about the environmental differences between Oregon, Orlando, and Nebraska.  At Oregon and UCF, Frost was a relative nobody.  He's made comments that when he was at UCF he could go grab fast food and no one would know him.  In Nebraska, I imagine he can't go anywhere without people gawking at him.  Fame does weird things to people and it makes me wonder if the golden-boy image we've put on him created an ego where in his mind he can do no wrong and cannot be held accountable.  Being Scott Frost in Nebraska is dramatically different from being Scott Frost in Oregon or Orlando.  All of this amounts to a massive distraction which explains why everyone is so out of sync.  

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, OreGUNHusker said:

At the end of the day, here's the deal.

Scott Frost is (still) an offensive play design genius. it's why he was successful in oregon and UCF. their conferences are filled with teams who just either aren't talented, or aren't beholden to having to scrap and earn every point scored on saturdays. in those conferences, you basically only have to "out-talent" your opponent to win. no issues for Scott there.

in the B1G and the SEC, no dice. if you aren't outcoaching your opponent, you aren't winning. that's it. look at teams from those conferences with great recruiting, but poor coaching - Tennessee, Florida State, Michigan, Texas A&M, and to an extent Georgia and Penn state. it's why we've seen certain coaches flame out in the SEC and B1G, despite being heralded. here's where Scott just doesn't have the required skillset.

Teams/Head Coaches that have the prerequisite attention to details and intentionality about personnel, schemes, and special teams are the ones who are successful. Frost just doesn't have that. you can out-playdesign all you want, but if you lack the will to prepare and compete at that level in all phases of the game, and the required attention to detail to prepare your team down to an individual level, you just won't succeed in those conferences. 

Something else that those coaches have is a certain amount of humility to take self-inventory and look inwards. no hubris. where you see hubris at this level of football, you see underachievers. and that's what Scott Frost is at this level.

He may well be successful at the next job he has, but don't let that fool you. if he doesn't develop the right skillset, he'll never be successful in the SEC or B1G.

• Plus1 1

Something I always found off when Frost brought his offense is that we run a lot of pass play to get ONE player open. Sometimes it works like when AM missed Liewer on the TD pass and when Hickman was wide open, but I've seen many times that option isn't open and then it's on AM to scramble or the receivers to then try and be open. I hate that style of offense for a QB.  

I still think the bigger problem is the offensive line and our ability of not being able to establish a run game. Greg Austin is cheeks. 

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Something I always found off when Frost brought his offense is that we run a lot of pass play to get ONE player open.

I don't believe that is the case.  Last year we had only one real option.  So, it may have seemed that way.  But, I'm pretty sure when there are multiple WRs on the field, they are running routes to get open.

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Gebbia got beat and transferred because he didn't want to be a backup. Quarterbacks all over the country do this all the time. Justin Fields did it, Joe Burrow did it, Kyler Murray did it, Jalen Hurts, on and on and on.

Fwiw, I think you bring up a ton of great points but I just wanted to comment on this part real fast. I genuinely don’t think there have been more than a handful of players over the last decade that have lived and breathed being a Husker like Gebbia did. That guy was all about playing for Nebraska from the moment he committed until he lost the job to Martinez.

At the time, there were a lot reports that the QB battle was intense but that Gebbia was winning more of the day to day stuff. They had a little chart with stars for good plays and Gebbia reportedly had way more stars. Martinez had issues with fumbling and hitting some of the necessary passes and a lot of people thought Gebbia might start but likely wouldn’t finish the season as the starter. But it sounds like the staff believed Martinez had a higher ceiling and they decided to go with him and I think Gebbia was pretty upset and rightfully figured he’d never get a real shot behind Frost’s QB.

Not saying this as a way to criticize Frost because freshman year Martinez was a lot of fun to watch. But Gebbia was named captain at Oregon State this year despite losing the job to a grad transfer from Colorado. I don’t think his leaving was as simple as he was mad about losing the starting job but instead how he lost it if that makes sense.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

Message boards are like youth football coaching staffs.  The second things go wrong, half the people think the solution is to change the entire system.  There's no holy grail, it's always the coaches &/or the players!  

This is true, normally, but it's not like things JUST started going wrong. Frost is 12-21. There's not getting around that, and A LOT of things have gone wrong to get a record like that. It's just inexcusable at this point. I like Frost as much as anyone and I want him to succeed, but right now it's not looking like that will happen. Why in the HECK would a guy earning 5 mil a year to rebuild a football program spend ANY time at any bar or anything like that.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that while we are all youth sports coaching legends, if we were in Frost's position, you'd have to DRAG us out of the film room when we weren't on a plane 'crootin. You'd NEVER find us (well, most of us) down at G25 for ANY reason. 

Recruiting is difficult in Lincoln, but they've managed to get big linemen and some quick skill guys. That's great. The problem is that we're not going to UCF our way past B1G defensive schemes, fundamentals and coordinators. We used to make fun of the B1G back in the day because everything seemed so boring and vanilla. Turns out, it's because the B1G is a solid conference with good defensive fundamentals. 

2 hours ago, Devanys Illegit Son said:

A QB either has "IT" or he doesn't.  AM is bad.  A good QB would go a long way in covering up the coaching deficiencies.  Afraid Frost is going to ride Martinez right out of town 

I'd say this is more or less a lazy take.

But to the point you're trying to make, yeah...see also 2017 UCF with McKenzie Milton.

2 hours ago, thatguy said:

At the end of the day, here's the deal.

Scott Frost is (still) an offensive play design genius. it's why he was successful in oregon and UCF. their conferences are filled with teams who just either aren't talented, or aren't beholden to having to scrap and earn every point scored on saturdays. in those conferences, you basically only have to "out-talent" your opponent to win. no issues for Scott there.

in the B1G and the SEC, no dice. if you aren't outcoaching your opponent, you aren't winning. that's it. look at teams from those conferences with great recruiting, but poor coaching - Tennessee, Florida State, Michigan, Texas A&M, and to an extent Georgia and Penn state. it's why we've seen certain coaches flame out in the SEC and B1G, despite being heralded. here's where Scott just doesn't have the required skillset.

Teams/Head Coaches that have the prerequisite attention to details and intentionality about personnel, schemes, and special teams are the ones who are successful. Frost just doesn't have that. you can out-playdesign all you want, but if you lack the will to prepare and compete at that level in all phases of the game, and the required attention to detail to prepare your team down to an individual level, you just won't succeed in those conferences. 

Something else that those coaches have is a certain amount of humility to take self-inventory and look inwards. no hubris. where you see hubris at this level of football, you see underachievers. and that's what Scott Frost is at this level.

He may well be successful at the next job he has, but don't let that fool you. if he doesn't develop the right skillset, he'll never be successful in the SEC or B1G.

The bolded sounds a lot like the old Big 8.

• Plus1 3