Who needs to go?

ZRod

34 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

You have to start here. The environment at Nebraska is so toxic that it bleeds into the locker room. It's too small of a community to not play into the heads of players and coaches. 

I really think fans need to bear some of the responsibility for this. Some people are way too quick to put down some kids that are just not as good at football as they would like them to be. 

• Haha 2

If the head man goes, I am okay with it. In some ways, I think his legacy here matters too much and it has stripped all the fun away from the players. It should always be about them, and not Scott. If Nebraska is at a point of looking for a new coach, I would want a thorough process in finding the replacement. I do think a solid candidate is on the staff already if we choose to look internally also. This is a disaster beyond the imagination. We have really good players and kids on this team. 11-12 of the guys we saw yesterday will be playing on Sunday in two years. In addition to that, I think Strangelove hit it on the head, there is too much toxicity in this program that goes well beyond the locker room that has too much of an influence. This place has had the fun sucked out of it for decades.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I really think fans need to bear some of the responsibility for this. Some people are way too quick to put down some kids that are just not as good at football as they would like them to be. 

I think thats the part that needs to be reconciled by the players. Fans are going to be fans. That cannot be a distraction, and should be the expectation when you sign to play. The problem that I have is the administration, regents, donors, etc who seem to have different agendas and want to be the savior. 

The fans are part of the problem, but i think in the opposite way. Sorry Nebraska, but the fans are what have kept this program relevant for two decades. It's the current sell out streak that is the only remaining current headlines this program has. Our trip as a fanbase to boulder in 2019 was the biggest highlight of the game for Nebraska, because guess what? Nebraska lost. Fans show up, Nebraska keeps losing. It is because of the fans and their reputation of being a well traveled fan base that has gotten this football program into bowl games or some better bowls then others because the bowl host knows Nebraska will travel and that means more money for them.

Sorry, but to lump the fanbase into "part of the problem" is asinine in my opinion. If the fan base is part of the problem it is because we have entitled everyone within the football program. Our blind loyalty and dedication to the football program has bred a generation of entitled players and coaches who are kings of the state because they wear the "N" on Saturdays. They continue to get this treatment win or lose. No other fanbase in this country stays so loyal and behind their program like Nebraska fans are currently doing with this team and program. Not Michigan, not Ohio State, not Tennessee, not even Alabama. You put any of those programs into these dark times and there isnt any continued sell out streak, there isn't any Boulder, Colorado take overs. 

And I know anyone can easily reply with, "These are student athletes, they deserve our full support." Well, now with NIL in full effect, keep in mind a lot of these players and upcoming recruits are going to make extremely smart business decisions by choosing Nebraska because of our blind loyalty and unconditional support.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I think thats the part that needs to be reconciled by the players. Fans are going to be fans. That cannot be a distraction, and should be the expectation when you sign to play. The problem that I have is the administration, regents, donors, etc who seem to have different agendas and want to be the savior. 

I don't think it's the main issue or the start of the issue but it def adds to the toxic air the way some people act. Obviously the players should be able to put that out but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help to not have it. 

Anyone feeling defensive about this should probably just think about why that may be. Nebraska fans are not the heros they think they are. 

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I don't think it's the main issue or the start of the issue but it def adds to the toxic air the way some people act. Obviously the players should be able to put that out but that doesn't mean it wouldn't help to not have it. 

Anyone feeling defensive about this should probably just think about why that may be. Nebraska fans are not the heros they think they are. 

I agree to a certain extent. It doesn't help, and I made mention before that being in such a small and isolated community naturally has players and coaches playing "tight". However, Boneyard said it best, the fans are the reason Nebraska is still relevant and fruitful. Without us, Nebraska is Kansas.

If there is any point in which fans should side with the players, it's now. This is the best collection of players we have had since the late 90s. Some might not agree with that, but I would say that every regime since Tom has had missing parts on one or two sides every year. There aren't any glaring holes on this roster. 

This is on Scott and Scott only. As a coach at Nebraska, whatever Scott touches, Scott worsens. He would be better off worrying solely about game management and making sure Nebraska is making the right decisions in terms of timeouts, challenges, fair catches, etc. 

If you want a good barometer in how these players are feeling out there, look at Adrian's fluttering completion to Toure (nervous, aiming throw) and Connon Culp. That is tightness and feeling that each moment is bigger than it actually is. It's become crippling. That comes from the head man who is beyond desperate to win. 

One last thing... I know people are ripping on Adrian really bad. I get it. I firmly believe that Adrian would be an All-American elsewhere. Being so tied to the hip of Frost, as the head coach of Nebraska has crippled Adrian's career beyond the imagination. 

3 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I agree to a certain extent. It doesn't help, and I made mention before that being in such a small and isolated community naturally has players and coaches playing "tight". If there is any point in which fans should side with the players, it's now. This is the best collection of players we have had since the late 90s. Some might not agree with that, but I would say that every regime since Tom has had missing parts on one or two sides every year. There aren't any glaring holes on this roster. 

This is on Scott and Scott only. As a coach at Nebraska, whatever Scott touches, Scott worsens. He would be better off worrying solely about game management and making sure Nebraska is making the right decisions in terms of timeouts, challenges, and fair catches, etc. 

If you want a good barometer in how these players are feeling out there, look at Adrian's fluttering completion to Toure (nervous, aiming throw) and Connon Culp. That is tightness and feeling that each moment is bigger than it actually is. It's become crippling. That comes from the head man who is beyond desperate to win. 

Yeah honestly this has been a fear in the back of my mind the whole time with Frost. He wants this team to succeed too much and seemed to feel the pressure right away. The offense looked like the defense under Bo. 

5 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah honestly this has been a fear in the back of my mind the whole time with Frost. He wants this team to succeed too much and seemed to feel the pressure right away. The offense looked like the defense under Bo. 

You're right. The pressure the program naturally has, along with the added pressure internally from Frost is an absolute burden on this team, especially on Offense. 

4 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Time and current perspective has certainly changed the overall look of Callahan's era, but I think claiming they were a good defensive coordinator away from being dominate is a stretch. Callahan's defense was atrocious and his offense wasn't all that great. He may have recruited well, but our offense wasn't really that great until his final season and that was when our defense was at our worst. The only time I was grateful we had Callahan's offense, and felt it was because of him that we won, was on the road versus Texas AM and we came back and won it.

Also, I think people are giving our defense way too much credit vs Illinois. This defense was going up against a second string quarterback, and allowed Illinois run game to basically do what it wanted when it needed it. The defense allowed Illinois to come out of halftime and drain 9 minutes off the clock and just pound the rock into the endzone. 

The defense only gave up 22 points with 167 yards of rushing (326 total). They forced 5 punts, 3 sacks, 1 deflection at the line, 1 missed FG, a Fumble, and should have had an INT. They had a decent game considering our offense sucked a$$.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Sorry, but to lump the fanbase into "part of the problem" is asinine in my opinion. If the fan base is part of the problem it is because we have entitled everyone within the football program. Our blind loyalty and dedication to the football program has bred a generation of entitled players and coaches who are kings of the state because they wear the "N" on Saturdays.

Overall, I agree. Anybody who blames the fans for having a negative impact on the program is largely making excuses. It's the same for anybody who criticizes former players for getting on the soap box about 'what it was like back in my day.' The true problems with this program come down to culture, coaching and execution. Full stop. It was the same thing with the Cubs for 100+ years. There was no demon on their backs. It was all about culture, coaching and execution. And when those things came together... they won.

And I know anyone can easily reply with,

"These are student athletes, they deserve our full support." Well, now with NIL in full effect, keep in mind a lot of these players and upcoming recruits are going to make extremely smart business decisions by choosing Nebraska because of our blind loyalty and unconditional support.

IMO even before the NIL changes, there was always a line in the sand for when fans were justified for waning support. Nebraska football is an entertainment business and time is our most precious commodity. I'm not going to spend my time (or money, for that matter) on a product or service that does not meet a reasonable standard of service expectations. And that's where Nebraska football is right now.

If others feel that the product is worth their time and financial commitment, then power to them. That's what makes a free country so wonderful. But that part of the fan base is dwindling fast.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Have you ever lived anywhere but Nebraska?

Ive worked big multi state territories- done the Winter Florida and Texas thing and Nebraska people are, very VERY tame compared to passionate fan bases in other parts of the country. Many of our fans are off the charts sickening nice in a lot of ways. 

• Plus1 1