Who needs to go?

ZRod

5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That was supposed to be a thing but Frost said the whole offensive staff calls plays together now or some odd comment where he calls the play but the whole offensive staff has input for what to call. AKA too many cooks in the kitchen. Seriously he should just hand it over to Lubick so he can pay attention to the details of game management. 

Frost said he called the plays but they collaborate before hand. What I think he means is he's calling everything but if Lubick, Held, or whoever sees something they speak up and give input. Like it should be.

I think Scott needs to handover play calling for the rest of the season and focus on coaching up the player groups that needs it. Maybe if he gets the culture right and things on track he can be like Oz and call plays again. Until then it's a waste of his resources and knowledge.

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

When change is forced, Diaco happens 

I agree, and that’s also what happens when you have an Eichorst. I’m not on the make Frost replace his coordinators and assistants bandwagon. The head coach should have the latitude to select his own staff. Frost has to own his staff choices the same as he owns everything else in the football program. It’s his baby, unfortunately it appears to be a case of SIDS.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Just curious, who are people realistically thinking of when they say we should be hiring "top" coordinators? Most of those guys become head coaches, and wouldn't take a lateral move for more money. IMO if we're paying top dollar for coordinators they would either be from the G5 conferences or coordinators who failed as head coaches. Who might be fine - but I don't think there are home run coordinator hires out there any more than head coaches. And we hired who was widely considered the home run there a couple years ago.

Leonhard from Wisconsin for Defensive Coordinator. I don't think he gets paid all that much at Wisconsin and he is really good.

I dont know who is a top offensive coordinator at the moment, it seems to be a fluid thing, but just look at any of the other programs offensive coordinators who have been pretty good and just over pay them. Again, if we want top assistants we will have to over pay and pay more than what they are currently getting. 

28 minutes ago, Undone said:

When you have a career 53% winning percentage as a college head coach you should never even be given a first thought as the head coach of NU.

And Langsdorf wasn't a proven coordinator at all, IMO. Banker was "experienced" but also went into making Riley's career winning percentage above what it was.

I was extremely disappointed when we hired Riley. But, his winning percentage came from Oregon State, which if you look at now, it was amazing he did what he did there. That is a very hard program to have success at and Riley somehow managed sustained success. It was his biggest hopeful bright spot, "If he could be competitive at a place like Oregon State, imagine what he can do at Nebraska with all their resources." We ended up having one good year under him.

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I was extremely disappointed when we hired Riley. But, his winning percentage came from Oregon State, which if you look at now, it was amazing he did what he did there. That is a very hard program to have success at and Riley somehow managed sustained success. It was his biggest hopeful bright spot, "If he could be competitive at a place like Oregon State, imagine what he can do at Nebraska with all their resources." We ended up having one good year under him.

I think the idea behind Riley was right. He was a program builder who could win in a place that isn't easy to win. His style, his offense - it just didn't fit Nebraska. The Cali kids in a pro-style offense won't work here, the Florida kids in a up tempo offense won't work here. That's why I've cozied up to the idea of a Monken type. Find someone that won't be scared by the recruiting disadvantages of Nebraska, and the teams Nebraska has to compete with. Find someone that will embrace the challenge and build something that can work in Nebraska. A system that will highlight Nebraska beef and skill players from Omaha, KC, St Louis. Frost is finally trying to do this, but Frost has never done it before. He's trying to build something he's never built and frankly doesn't know how. Find someone that can. 

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Leonhard from Wisconsin for Defensive Coordinator. I don't think he gets paid all that much at Wisconsin and he is really good.

I dont know who is a top offensive coordinator at the moment, it seems to be a fluid thing, but just look at any of the other programs offensive coordinators who have been pretty good and just over pay them. Again, if we want top assistants we will have to over pay and pay more than what they are currently getting. 

I don't think any amount of money would pull Leonhard from Wisconsin within the same division. He was a walk-on turned all-conference player at Wisconsin, no way he leaves unless it's for a head coaching job. Maybe DC in the NFL or somewhere like Bama, but we could offer him 3 million a year and he's not coming. Also, he's paid more than Chinander and up there overall. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think the idea behind Riley was right. He was a program builder who could win in a place that isn't easy to win. His style, his offense - it just didn't fit Nebraska. The Cali kids in a pro-style offense won't work here, the Florida kids in a up tempo offense won't work here. That's why I've cozied up to the idea of a Monken type. Find someone that won't be scared by the recruiting disadvantages of Nebraska, and the teams Nebraska has to compete with. Find someone that will embrace the challenge and build something that can work in Nebraska. A system that will highlight Nebraska beef and skill players from Omaha, KC, St Louis. Frost is finally trying to do this, but Frost has never done it before. He's trying to build something he's never built and frankly doesn't know how. Find someone that can. 

To clarify, this doesn't mean Frost is a bad coach. Frost built a successful system for a particular program. Nebraska isn't that program. Dude could take his system to Houston, USF, San Diego St, FAU and program crush it again. I doubt Tom Osborne would super successful running the west coast offense at Stanford. Sorry I'm done ranting to myself now. 

37 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I think Scott needs to handover play calling for the rest of the season and focus on coaching up the player groups that needs it.

I have never seen Scott coaching players up on the sidelines that I can ever think of. He just stands there with his arms folded with no expression on his face. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
50 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

I have never seen Scott coaching players up on the sidelines that I can ever think of. He just stands there with his arms folded with no expression on his face. 

I don't know that I can name a head coach I've seen coach a player up during the game. Get excited with them after a big play, yell at them after a bad one, talk one on one occasionally - all of which Frost has done. The "Frost needs to be focused on game management" crowd would throw a fit if he spent a lot of time working with players on the sideline. That's what position coaches are for.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't know that I can name a head coach I've seen coach a player up during the game. Get excited with them after a big play, yell at them after a bad one, talk one on one occasionally - all of which Frost has done. The "Frost needs to be focused on game management" crowd would throw a fit if he spent a lot of time working with players on the sideline. That's what position coaches are for.

And this is why our offense sux.....Year 4, no RB's separated to start.......No WR with any real experience.........No QB depth........OL still struggles.......They haven't improved in 4 years.  A few minutes here and there won't work when this staff has been working with some of them for 4 years.....

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think any amount of money would pull Leonhard from Wisconsin within the same division. He was a walk-on turned all-conference player at Wisconsin, no way he leaves unless it's for a head coaching job. Maybe DC in the NFL or somewhere like Bama, but we could offer him 3 million a year and he's not coming. Also, he's paid more than Chinander and up there overall. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

I think Nebraska is going to be stuck going against Leonhard for a really long time.  He turned down the Packers DC job last year.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/06/jim-leonhard-explains-why-he-turned-down-packers-coordinator-offer/

2 hours ago, lo country said:

And this is why our offense sux.....Year 4, no RB's separated to start.......No WR with any real experience.........No QB depth........OL still struggles.......They haven't improved in 4 years.  A few minutes here and there won't work when this staff has been working with some of them for 4 years.....

3 years per Caesar

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Saban, Urban, Pete Carroll, Jimbo, Fitz, the boat rower, Harbaugh, Lincoln RIley, Tom Allen and on and on.  All will pull kids/units aside and talk to them. They all know when this needs to be done and all coach circles around Scott.  

• Plus1 2

You guys are ridiculous. Frost is talking with the team before every series on the sideline. He's high fiving after every score and congratulating the team as they come off. He's talking to Adrian, the RBs, the WRs, etc. When they make mistakes and come off. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1