Coaches knew we were going to be bad...

1 minute ago, BoSolich said:

exactly. these coaches know what they have months in advance...the goal was to build momentum early in the season to help recruiting and build confidence in the program. not only did they fail to cancel the OU game, but they couldn't even beat illinois. 

if this team fails to make a bowl game, there's no chance frost will be back next year.

My pre-season thoughts were 4-8 at worst or 8-4 at best.  I am not thinking 2-10 is not out of the realm of possibilities.....I do not know how we have gotten this bad.  100% on the staff. 

It should have been a red flag to Frost and Co with the following:

Year 4 no proven QB back up

Year 4 no proven/starting RB

Year 4 leading returning receiver had 13 catches again no proven receivers

So in year 4 we have no identifiable starters (proven) at WR or RB and no back up QB....That is a complete sh!t show.   

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

My pre-season thoughts were 4-8 at worst or 8-4 at best.  I am not thinking 2-10 is not out of the realm of possibilities.....I do not know how we have gotten this bad.  100% on the staff. 

It should have been a red flag to Frost and Co with the following:

Year 4 no proven QB back up

Year 4 no proven/starting RB

Year 4 leading returning receiver had 13 catches again no proven receivers

So in year 4 we have no identifiable starters (proven) at WR or RB and no back up QB....That is a complete sh!t show.   

Where's our proven starting QB?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Farms said:

Do you ever wonder if things would be different had we just played Akron and kicked their asses amd got momentum going to Colorado the next week? Possibly change the whole direction of the season… What if…..

I doubt it at the end of the day you simply can't win with that type of quarterback play

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, commando said:

whoever those coaches are that said that.....should stop throwing the players they recruited and trained under the bus like that.    FWIW....i see these results as coaching issues more than a players issue because i believe these players are talented but sent out there without adequate coaching and thus making so many bonehead  mistakes because of it.

I agree, if they really think that then they're not giving their own kids a chance. That's personal failure by the coaches and means they're not even trying as they think they can't do it.  College football is about emotion and belief and if the coaches don't believe the kids never will.

8 hours ago, BoSolich said:

A close friend of a staff member flat out told me this weeks ago.

the staff knew we were nowhere near ready to be playing at oklahoma in week 4 and that is why they tried to cancel it. (let alone at illinois)

recruiting and keeping players from transferring has been an absolute nightmare for the coaches.

he said the staff member flat out said he wished they were still in florida...

Your buddy should just tell them to go back to FL then if this person doesnt want to be here. Not like any of them are doing a great job anyways. The recruiting has been like top 20 every year since Frost got here and the players transferring, maybe better communication on the staffs part can keep them here. The recruiting is the best in our division, yet we cant beat IL, we cant be MN, we cant beat WI, we cant be IA, we cant beat Purdue, and we especially cant beat anyone in the other division even though only three teams in the whole conference have better recruiting than us. Maybe this staff member should look in the mirror and say maybe Im just not good at what I do and move on to smaller schools. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Cant wait for this staff to go, good riddance. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Your buddy should just tell them to go back to FL then if this person doesnt want to be here. Not like any of them are doing a great job anyways. The recruiting has been like top 20 every year since Frost got here and the players transferring, maybe better communication on the staffs part can keep them here. The recruiting is the best in our division, yet we cant beat IL, we cant be MN, we cant beat WI, we cant be IA, we cant beat Purdue, and we especially cant beat anyone in the other division even though only three teams in the whole conference have better recruiting than us. Maybe this staff member should look in the mirror and say maybe Im just not good at what I do and move on to smaller schools. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Cant wait for this staff to go, good riddance. 

We put all of eggs in the basket in a guy with 2 years of HC experience....Bought into the 13-0 hype.  Thought it would turn the program around.  It didn't, hasn't and won't.  Staff is in over their collective heads.  No hard feelings.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

The bad luck is unreal

The safety was not a safety, his knee was down and the ball was not all the way in the end zone BUT the call on the field ruined that.

The roughing the passer call that takes away the pick that is going to lead to NU being up by like 16 and the game is over.

AM ends up with like 300 plus yards of offense and no picks but of course there is a fumble that gets returned for a TD.

Wait. Do you honestly think that was bad luck? 

I thought yesterday was bad enough across the board that no one could blame the refs.

Should have known better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, commando said:

whoever those coaches are that said that.....should stop throwing the players they recruited and trained under the bus like that.    FWIW....i see these results as coaching issues more than a players issue because i believe these players are talented but sent out there without adequate coaching and thus making so many bonehead  mistakes because of it.

You either take credit for landing 20-25th ranked recruiting classes, or blame for losing badly to unranked teams.

I've learned one immutable, universal truth: don't believe a word the coaches say. All they do is pacify the fans and tell them what they want to hear. 

As far as luck goes... our current situation has nothing to do with luck. It all stems from the lack of fundamentals. Can't make big strides until the little things are in order. For some reason, this staff has never put full effort into fixing the little things. Once they are fixed, the bigger things fall into place.

9 hours ago, Farms said:

Do you ever wonder if things would be different had we just played Akron and kicked their asses amd got momentum going to Colorado the next week? Possibly change the whole direction of the season… What if…..

You know, I held on to this same thought for a long time.  Cancelling the Akron game was the buzzkill of all-time.  I thought it carried over to the CU game - resulting in a mistake filled game that NU would have won if they could have worked out the kinks in the opener against Akron.  

But think back to that CU game.  Why did NU lose?  Well, -3 in turnovers was crucial.  But the biggest play of the game came with 1 minute to go.  CU had 3rd and 24 from their own 45 yard line.  They threw an incomplete pass....BUT, instead of facing 4th and 24 - NU was called for a personal foul, giving CU a first down in NU territory.  Next play was the game-winning TD.  

That script is the 'movie' that Frost referred to in his post-game yesterday.  NU continues to make catastrophic errors that turn wins into losses.  CU 2018 was the premiere...below are the sequels:

• Tory 2018 (turnovers and punt return for TD)
  • Northwestern 2018 (Penalties that kept a 99! yard drive alive in 4q to tie the game and send to OT)
  • Colorado 2019 (Dominated in 2nd half after leading 17-0; AM 4Q fumble deep in NU territory that gave CU their go-ahead TD)
  • Indiana 2019 (Vedral fumble returned for 70 yards that set up IU go-ahead TD)
  • Purdue 2019 (Walk-on back-up QB leads two long scoring drives in 4Q; NU has to settle for FG after a 1st and goal at the 2 after INT).  
  • Northwestern 2020 (NW picked off 2 NU passes at the goal line; Warner dropped a TD Pass).
  • Illinois 2020 (5 NU turnovers - including on the first play of the game)
  • Minnesota 2020 (Complete cluster-f*** from the first play).
  • Illinois 2021 (already detailed)

Those are the games I remember that NU simply gave away.  You could add in the 3 Iowa games - all close losses, that NU could have won if they played cleaner football (remember the fumbled punt last year?).  But If NU is a better coached team - they would have won those 10 games listed above.  Instead of being 12-21, Frost would be 22-11 at worst.  

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wait. Do you honestly think that was bad luck? 

I thought yesterday was bad enough across the board that no one could blame the refs.

Should have known better. 

It was bad luck and that is not excusing the coaching staff or players but when they rule safety instead of down at the 1 foot line, it is bad luck because they can't overturn that from the review.  Had the ref said down at the 1 foot line, the review would have backed that up.  Should he be fielding the punt at that spot, no, of course not.

The fumble for a TD, again, AM should not fumble but it is bad luck that the ball pretty much just bounced to a guy that was not near anyone at all.

The roughing the passer call, that is a 50/50 call for the ref, the defender did nothing wrong but the ref either needs to make a call or not, he decided to make the call.

The taunting flag, well, again, you can call that after every single play if you want.

I am not blaming the refs, they made the calls they thought were right, those calls were bad luck for the Huskers.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2