Some ppl need to calm down a bit

I've been hearing the same regurgitated crap for the past 15+ years. I have no problem standing by a new coach, but by Year 4 some progress should be shown. It hasn't happened. There are weak links that need to be replaced. Surely Alberts will force Frost's hand and have him make some changes. The biggest one of all, in my opinion, is who the QB coach will be. If we just hire some other retread or one of Frost's buddies, nothing is gonna change. Gotta get a guy with an NFL pedigree with a history of putting guys in the league. 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

Sorry, OP. I think we all know how this season is going to go.

If folks can't see how this is going to go, and that Frost is in so far over his head, then there isn't anything you can say to them really.  Coaches make competitive teams in one or 2 years all the time, it's not about more time. Just look at Bielema who got a first year team to out perform a a guy in his 4th year with a 4th year QB. He did that with a backup from Rutgers who was beaten for his job by.....Noah Vedral.  That name sound familiar? Just think about that for a bit. NUs 3rd string kid who transferred, won a job over the guy who then transferred to Illinois and just beat Frost in his first game with his brand new head coach.  Circle of life, or circling the drain rather.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

It's year 4.  Our 4 year starting QB?  Outplayed by a back up who got beat out by Noah at Rutgers.....75 of our yards came on 1 scramble.....Our alleged vaunted run game, abandoned to the tune of less than 60 yards between 3 backs...TE? Non-existent....OL whipped at the point of attack (5 sacks).....

Frost is simply over his head.  When the HC after a loss says "we guessed wrong" that's a problem.  The inability to adjust is a problem.  Keeping this stack intact for another year is a problem.

• Plus1 3

Except that it wasn't just one game.  What we saw yesterday is the same thing we have seen the past 3 seasons under Frost....ridiculous errors that are hard to explain, along with crippling, game-changing penalties.  It's also not the first time a back-up QB has had his way with NU under Frost.

Regarding AM...we all know he has short-comings with ball control and accuracy.  I guess he is what he is, and in his 4th year - this is probably what we are going to get.  What is alarming is that we hear that Haarberg and Smothers struggle with accuracy, too.  Are we really incapable of recruiting a QB that can't throw the ball where he wants?  

• Plus1 1

The sun came up this morning. Took a nice walk with the dog. Decided to look for bright spots from yesterday that can be nurtured into hope.

That didn't go so well.

I see people who want to give props to an improved defense. But I saw a team that came out of the locker room rested, recharged and just a touchdown behind immediately give up an 8 minute touchdown drive to the second-string quarterback of Illinois. Then give up another, so our already challenged offense had to play from 21 points behind. Those awesome QB sacks in the first quarter are way in the rearview mirror. That's because other teams adjust and do things better. 

The two big errors and 9 point giveaways from senior captains Adrian Martinez and Cam Taylor-Britt were bad at face value, but they also lose massively on style points: Martinez wasn't fighting for yards, he looked stumbling and helpless. It wasn't just Cam's blatant strategic error fielding the ball, it was that panicky attempt to throw the ball ahead -- something a 10 year old might do.

This is a team that gets punched in the mouth and doesn't punch back. They wander around in a daze. 

Although there was plenty of time on the clock and an Illinois team perfectly capable of collapsing, I never for a moment expected Nebraska to win. 

And just to show me I wasn't being overly cynical, Connor Culp misses his second PAT of the game.

The most fervent optimists on HuskerBoard are claiming that had 12 plays gone a little differently, Nebraska could have won. 

These televised games are absolute poison for recruiting. 

The only bright spot?  Nobody in the rest of college football really cares about Nebraska vs. Illinois. 

Jesus.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1