Some ppl need to calm down a bit

6 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've been hearing the same regurgitated crap for the past 15+ years. I have no problem standing by a new coach, but by Year 4 some progress should be shown. It hasn't happened. There are weak links that need to be replaced. Surely Alberts will force Frost's hand and have him make some changes. The biggest one of all, in my opinion, is who the QB coach will be. If we just hire some other retread or one of Frost's buddies, nothing is gonna change. Gotta get a guy with an NFL pedigree with a history of putting guys in the league. 

exactly, spot on. Verduzco needs to go!!

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The sun came up this morning. Took a nice walk with the dog. Decided to look for bright spots from yesterday that can be nurtured into hope.

That didn't go so well.

I see people who want to give props to an improved defense. But I saw a team that came out of the locker room rested, recharged and just a touchdown behind immediately give up an 8 minute touchdown drive to the second-string quarterback of Illinois. Then give up another, so our already challenged offense had to play from 21 points behind. Those awesome QB sacks in the first quarter are way in the rearview mirror. That's because other teams adjust and do things better. 

The two big errors and 9 point giveaways from senior captains Adrian Martinez and Cam Taylor-Britt were bad at face value, but they also lose massively on style points: Martinez wasn't fighting for yards, he looked stumbling and helpless. It wasn't just Cam's blatant strategic error fielding the ball, it was that panicky attempt to throw the ball ahead -- something a 10 year old might do.

This is a team that gets punched in the mouth and doesn't punch back. They wander around in a daze. 

Although there was plenty of time on the clock and an Illinois team perfectly capable of collapsing, I never for a moment expected Nebraska to win. 

And just to show me I wasn't being overly cynical, Connor Culp misses his second PAT of the game.

The most fervent optimists on HuskerBoard are claiming that had 12 plays gone a little differently, Nebraska could have won. 

These televised games are absolute poison for recruiting. 

The only bright spot?  Nobody in the rest of college football really cares about Nebraska vs. Illinois. 

Jesus.

This is the best post in this thread and, I'd imagine, where most rational Husker fans landed today. 

This thing is so over. 

• Plus1 1

By now, Frost has had the opportunity to get all his players and he had been given a chance to maintain all his coaches. Four years in, and we see little to no improvement. What excuses can he have? If it is the culture of the players then he is the one to blame because these players are the ones he and his coaches recruited. If it is talent…again, he recruited them. If it is lack of discipline then he is also to blame as he had enough time to impress upon them the importance of playing smart. Frost has been afforded every opportunity to succeed yet we continue to see a decline in performance. Yes, decline. I understand it is only one game, but can you tell me one positive thing that gives us hope that our special teams will improve? The special teams play was so atrocious, high school teams would be embarrassed after a performance like yesterday’s. Our offense with Adrian Martinez has no identity. Play calling is questionable and chaotic. Frost gets $5 million a year for this s h I t show. Tell me one other person that is afforded this luxury without producing results on the field. Continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results is idiotic and that is the approach this coaching staff are taking. They do not know what they are doing and they are hoping to get lucky. That ain’t going to happen. This season will be no different than previous three. In fact, I just hope it is not worse. I have no solutions and no suggestions for new coaches but what we have is not working and Frost took zero steps to correct issues with special teams which makes me think, he does not know how to fix any of this but he continues to collect his big fat checks.

• Plus1 1

Hey OP-  

A first year staff at a perennial B1G doormat, with a backup QB and no real home advantage just schooled our staff who have been together for several seasons now.  We have regressed every year.  You’d be lying if you said Adrian now is better than freshman Adrian,.

Who are the go to skill players ?? What’s our identity ?  What do we do well?  Do we still beat ourselves ?  In year 4 ??

Wake up OP , the panic is real and I see the strain.  

• Plus1 4

It's one thing if this was the first season, considering what Frost inherited. I gave him a pass his first season, especially considering how the team was looking better at the end of it.

That's the thing. The last half of his first season was the high point. And it wasn't even a winning season.

After 3-4 years, you expect to see some progress. Last season is a season where I projected, when we hired Frost, that we'd go 8-4 or 9-3. Obviously COVID made that impossible anyways, but we sure weren't on track for it regardless.

I see the same team, making the same mistakes, four years later. There's zero excuse for that. The fact there has been practically no progress in four years makes firing completely reasonable. The rest of the sport isn't going to bat an eye at it. The dude has failed, miserably.

• Plus1 2
On 8/29/2021 at 9:13 AM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've been hearing the same regurgitated crap for the past 15+ years. I have no problem standing by a new coach, but by Year 4 some progress should be shown. It hasn't happened. There are weak links that need to be replaced. Surely Alberts will force Frost's hand and have him make some changes. The biggest one of all, in my opinion, is who the QB coach will be. If we just hire some other retread or one of Frost's buddies, nothing is gonna change. Gotta get a guy with an NFL pedigree with a history of putting guys in the league. 

Man I agree with what you said. If we are going to stand by Frost, I can get behind that but we need a complete overhaul of his staff. Defense I could be convinced to keep that staff intact. But offense- EVERYONE goes.

Agree somewhat with the OP. I have a feeling Trev isn't going to pull the trigger in November no matter what happens. Well, maybe if we only win 1 or 2. Even if we don't make a bowl, Scott is here for at least another year.

One thing I haven't really seen - respect for Illinois. They are actually an experienced and disciplined squad. After we got 3 sacks, they adjusted and protected their QB with different playcalls. Their offensive line is actually no joke with 3 guys already getting legit looks from the NFL. Their defensive line had high motor, and pulled off some stunts and twists very well. 

Everyone bags on Sitkowski, but Bret has coached this kid up. He made the throws he was supposed to, and even scrambled for a key first down. He dropped that moon ball in the bucket - absolutely a perfect throw against pretty good coverage.  

Their defensive backs are also coached well. Great man coverage, safety and nickel men were good in run support. 

I think they'll be a tough out for nearly everyone left on their schedule, good chance of making a bowl game. 

I hope Scott sees that they've REALLY been pounding a square peg in the proverbial round hole. I hope they simplify and focus on hat-for-hat blocking, because these young guys can't zone block at all. Figure out what we can actually do, and focus on that.  I think the special teams issues will work themselves out. Hopefully. 

• Thanks 1

Great topic for our fanbase right now.  As I posted on another topic, let's end the in-fighting as a fanbase, recognize that this 4th year experiment has failed, and also end speculation about job termination for Coach Frost in 2021.  The staff will get 5 years (pending termination for cause or resignation).  

I have not watched a Husker Football game since the collapse in Boulder two years ago.  For those not in attendance for games, and for your health, I would encourage you to distance yourself from Saturday broadcasts for awhile.  Only a masochist enjoys watching these undisciplined debacles week after week.  This crew looks like the New Orleans Saints with QB Archie Manning.  

As a result of this game, and with no bowl likely for a 5th straight year, this staff is officially on the 12 month performance plan that ends in 2022.   

Thanks to Coach Frost for his contributions as a player, ambassador and coach.  We wish him success in his next endeavor.  That said, we would all be wise to turn down the temperature and devote our energy elsewhere in the coming months.  That goes for beat reporters as well who could only dream of playing or coaching FBS football.  

• Plus1 2

On 8/29/2021 at 9:37 AM, Husker John said:

I think we need a forum called "What the boosters are saying"

We did. It was called Rumorville, and it was great. Cable repairmen, aquarium installation technicians, and crusty socks have never seen a better day on this board since Rumorville was deleted. 

22 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

The staff will get 5 years (pending termination for cause or resignation).  

I’m inclined to believe this too under the assumption that “the staff” means Coach Frost.  I could see changes in assistants if certain position groups continue to underperform.