What were the bright spots yesterday?

No sugarcoating it. We still suck. Still the same stupid mistakes being made in year four beating ourselves. It's mind boggling this staff still can't iron those out. Frustrating as hell.

So as long as we all agree we're gonna have to fight and scrape to get to .500 now... what encouraged you yesterday?

I've got a few:

• They incorporated a little triple option it looked like. That was cool.
  • Ervin looked good. The OL was inconsistent to my eyes but I can see why he is getting the hype he is. He seemed like the most complete back we saw. As a true freshman that is pretty encouraging.
  • Some of the passing schemes they ran got guys open and running free. With a QB that is a more gifted passer this offense could be a lot more dynamic and attack all levels of the field which should help open up the running game.
  • Martinez still has wheels. It's on Frost and Lubick to scheme an offense that can be effective around that because he's never going to be a consistently good passer.
  • Saw a lot more pressure from the defense. Loved to see the ability to get after the QB again. Garrett Nelson is a monster and we need more dudes like him.

What do you think?

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

No sugarcoating it. We still suck. Still the same stupid mistakes being made in year four beating ourselves. It's mind boggling this staff still can't iron those out. Frustrating as hell.

So as long as we all agree we're gonna have to fight and scrape to get to .500 now... what encouraged you yesterday?

I've got a few:

• They incorporated a little triple option it looked like. That was cool.
  • Ervin looked good. The OL was inconsistent to my eyes but I can see why he is getting the hype he is. He seemed like the most complete back we saw. As a true freshman that is pretty encouraging.
  • Some of the passing schemes they ran got guys open and running free. With a QB that is a more gifted passer this offense could be a lot more dynamic and attack all levels of the field which should help open up the running game.
  • Martinez still has wheels. It's on Frost and Lubick to scheme an offense that can be effective around that because he's never going to be a consistently good passer.
  • Saw a lot more pressure from the defense. Loved to see the ability to get after the QB again. Garrett Nelson is a monster and we need more dudes like him.

What do you think?

Our offensive line had break downs. I’m not sugar coating those plays.  But, most of the time, Martinez had time to get rid of the ball. If the guy could make a quick decision, the offense could actually move the ball. But, way too often, he’s just standing in the pocket while he’s missed the opportunity with the receivers. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Our defense got sacks. It wasn’t that many years ago where we had minimal sacks for the entire season.

Our WRs could be good, hard to tell. I don’t know if they simply, still, after 4 years, cant get open for Martinez to throw to them, or if it’s Martinez, after 4 years still needing 10 seconds in the pocket to make a decision to throw. The few times the ball was accurately thrown to them they seemed to do a decent job and caught the pass. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Our defense got sacks. It wasn’t that many years ago where we had minimal sacks for the entire season.

Our WRs could be good, hard to tell. I don’t know if they simply, still, after 4 years, cant get open for Martinez to throw to them, or if it’s Martinez, after 4 years still needing 10 seconds in the pocket to make a decision to throw. The few times the ball was accurately thrown to them they seemed to do a decent job and caught the pass. 

I'm definitely still encouraged by the trendline shifting to bringing in huge, physical receivers and getting away from the undersized jitterbug types. The latter have to be exceptional to succeed in this conference.

I think it was Martin who caught a jump ball over a defender in a one-on-one situation yesterday that got some play from the announcers. With that type of receiver and a better passing QB, sometimes that much separation isn't required if they've got the ball skills and physicality to go up and snatch jump balls. That could open up the downfield passing game a lot down the road.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Our offensive line had break downs. I’m not sugar coating those plays.  But, most of the time, Martinez had time to get rid of the ball. If the guy could make a quick decision, the offense could actually move the ball. But, way too often, he’s just standing in the pocket while he’s missed the opportunity with the receivers. 

The couple of times he decided to tuck and run it worked out pretty well.

He's just never going to develop into a better passer who can run through multiple reads and deliver accurate dimes to his 3rd or 4th option. It's on Frost and Co to figure out how to make that type of QB succeed this year.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

The couple of times he decided to tuck and run it worked out pretty well.

He's just never going to develop into a better passer who can run through multiple reads and deliver accurate dimes to his 3rd or 4th option. It's on Frost and Co to figure out how to make that type of QB succeed this year.

So, do we start Haarberg or Smothers this week to hopefully get them seasoned some before OU? 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Neither of them are ready. Both of those kids were projects, just like McCaffrey. You force one into a similar situation, and there will be a similar outcome.

Smothers is a bit more like Martinez in that he's always been a legs-first guy who seems to have had trouble developing his arm.

Haarberg seems a bit more of a hybrid between those guys and the mould of huge, laser rocket armed QB with a bit more mobility we're moving towards. Probably the best thrower of the bunch from what I've gathered. To Frost's credit, they seem to have identified this offense can't work with run-first QBs who can't throw well.

But presumably if either of those guys were better at running the offense than Martinez they'd be out there. They're not ready.