What were the bright spots yesterday?

The bright spot? We didn’t get fooled in to a false sense of how good this team might be. Most of us expected to be 3-0 going into Norman. That would've surely led to some unrealistic hopes and expectations.  Well, that bandaid got ripped off right out of the chute. Now only the hopeless romantics will entertain visions of this team being anything other than the doormat it is destined to be.

Sorry, most positive spin I could come up with.

• Plus1 3

-It's been a long time since we've seen a Husker defense play so physical that we sent the other team's QB out of the game on an ATV.

-Martinez's 46 yard pass to Martin was a great play.

-Stepp contributed on the drive where he then scored the short rushing touchdown.

But our pathetic special teams play shows that Frost is doing something wrong as a manager of his staff and in his ability to actually fix systemic issues.

If Connor Culp doesn't miss those 2 extra points we really only lost by this by 6.  Take away some of the gaffes and who knows.  I thought Toure looked good out there.  It was nice to see Oliver Martin have a really nice game.   

Still many things to work on/same old issues unfortunately...

I know experience doesn't equal ability, but Illinois's offensive line is one of the more experienced units in the country, but the line and linebackers were able to get pressure on the QB more often than we saw in previous years. Illinois didn't big chunk run it down our throats. Thought tackling was pretty sound for the most part. Coverage wasn't lock down but it wasn't awful either, would simply say unremarkable. 

Martinez had time to get rid of the ball. It's not like Illinois was constantly in the backfield. So I wonder if the reason why the ball is in Martinez's hand is:

1. The routes take too long to develop (i.e., the playcalling)
  2. The routes are there but the receivers aren't able to get separation
  3. The routes are there but Martinez isn't making the read and is holding onto the ball too long

Next week is only going to tell us something if they somehow manage a loss or a close game. So we're going to have to wait a couple weeks to get answers to the questions we all have. 

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I thought Garrett Nelson was a bright spot.  He'll be a leader by the end of this season.

One nitpicky aspect is that he leaves his assignment to make a play instead of doing his job and allowing someone else to make the play. Huard highlighted that in the game, he tried knifing into the backfield and missed the RB who bounced outside, when he should have stayed on the man he took on to force the RB to cut up field into the flow of defense. 

He did that in the Iowa game last year on a 3rd and long where their QB was scrambling outside the pocket and left the TE who ends up wide open for a dump off and first down. 

I wouldn’t trade him for anything else though, I like what he brings and believe he’ll have a great career. 

• Plus1 1