Special Teams- Were Worse When YOu Go Into More Detail

you guys is making a big deal out of nothing.. Illinois is amazing team, they have new coach Bret Bielama. Plus the game was in Illinois.. Huskers made some easily mistakes to fix an wont happen again. Frost will coach the mistakes out of team because thats what he does. Look at UCF when he coached there. The players made some whoops but Frost didnt kick the PATs, kick the punt, tell the lineman to drive enemy QB into ground nullifying the INT, nor tell the guy to catch kickoff in endzone. Besides that whoops was only a Deuce on the score. So relax guys we should go 9-3 only losing to OSU/OK.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

"the penalty if he missed 10- 100 yard sprints"

What?  You mean, you had consequences in the following practices?  :-)

Obviously, you hit a soap box for me.  I would have consequences for every mistake and a list of items that would be "perks" for great things done/accomplished.  Ya, it's a "soapbox" for me.  But running sprints or a certain amount of miles or exercises for each blunder.  We just can't have our coach say, "ya, we just can't have that."  It's like a ... "ah shucks" sort of reply that really misses the mark of the importance of such blunders.

If you take a guy like AM, why wouldn't you want that guy to run a 10 miler for each fumble.  If he doesn't deserve it ... okay ... but then why does he get to play with no consequence at all?  Talk about entitlement.  For me, already this early in this season, I'm like the defensive coach in Remember the Titans, "You don't let them gain another yard [in our case ... not make another mistake].  I swear to God I'll take every last one of you out of here [off the field of play].

I fully realize that this won't happen.  I also fully realize that I am the problem.  It all is what it is ... :bigredn: football.

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. We struggle on both our punt and kickoff guys fielding kicks they shouldnt. This ISNT a one off deal. 

Yes you can replicate near game day scenarios. We used to put our entire team surrounding our PAT guy- screaming, yelling, tossing up scrimmage vests- the penalty if he missed 10- 100 yard sprints. Same on kick returns- 20 guys doing the same thing

Sudden change- Whistle in middle of practice. Have to make PATs, FGs, Kick Returns 100 mph- up downs, sprints on misses,  kids distracting etc

LOTS of coaches do this, I dont think ours do- because the top doesnt really embrace the importance of special teams. He thinks offense wins games. 

If the issue was just catching the punt, sure you can replicate distractions. But I'm pretty sure this wasn't an issue with him being distracted, he just wanted to make a play. That's the part you can't replicate - you can do whatever you want to try and get him locked into a fictional situation, but you know it's practice and so it's easy to make the right decision and let the ball go. In a game when your team needs a spark and you think you can provide it, it's a lot harder. My only issue with the coaching here is it seems like the repeat offense isn't going to cost CTB the returner job

1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

Seems like they need to simplify their rules since they are not following them in the game. 

With convoluted rules like “‘iffy’ at the 8 and no go at the 5” then for a team that really sucks in PR game, they are teaching advanced skills to kids who haven’t even proved themselves capable of the baby steps.

What other advanced knowledge are they teaching before they’re ready?

CTB didn't catch it at the goal line because he forgot the rules. Maybe he thought he was at the 5 or 8, but more likely he wanted to make a play and chose to catch it knowing full well it broke the rule. 

On 8/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

CTB backed up from the 1 to about the goal line. Caught the ball, was immediately wrapped up, then like a 8 year old playing keep away with the ball on a school recess, tossed the ball out of bounds. So we luckily got a safety instead of them getting a TD, they got the ball and momentum. More of the "no fear of failure" culture Frost has instilled.

If Frost installed a "no fear of failure" culture and the next HC comes in and actually hands out consequences for poor play, then we are in for a avalanche of transfers.  We are basically going to have to do a total rebuild after Frost's failed total rebuild.

• Plus1 1

Maybe we need a fresh thread for the topic, because now we're getting into the player buy-in. 

It's Year Four. The non-believers and shirkers have graduated or taken the portal out. 

Heralded talent is on the bench for bad practice behavior. Senior leaders take the field and make worse-than-freshman mistakes. Whatever is wrong seems to have infected offense, defense, and special teams at the same time, and looks hauntingly familiar to previous seasons when talent and buy-in was blamed. Rumors are flying. They may be completely false, but rumors thrive in chaos. 

The in-game broadcasters and outside analysts don't necessarily hate Nebraska and most try to be diplomatic, but they see the same things loyal Husker fans do, which means every recruitable football player sees them, too. At this point, if you have any other choice, you would not want to come to Scott Frost's program. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

...and looks hauntingly familiar to previous seasons when talent and buy-in was blamed.

Well said. The salve to the psyche in 2019 for some (but not me personally) was that "Frost doesn't have his guys yet."

Ok. Then in 2020, the salve to the psyche for this same group of fans was "He has his guys but they're still too young to expect much out of yet."

Year 4. No excuses at all for the special teams stuff we're seeing. In the B1G West - and especially with an offense that continues to struggle - you cannot lose the field position battle. But we again have:

-Terrible punting

-Constantly making the wrong decision and poor blocking when it comes to fielding kickoffs instead of taking the ball at the 25

-Making the wrong decision on letting punts bounce into the end zone

I definitely think that @Husker in WI makes a great point about what might have been going through CTB's head. And if so then you can easily forgive the mistake...but our special teams are legitimately embarrassing and will probably make beating Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin & Michigan impossible wins (on top of the other two games that were already impossible wins).

On 8/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

17 Yard Punt. We should have had Illinois pinned inside the 10. Instead we punt the ball 17 yards and leave them with good field position' 

Crappy punting screwed the defense out of field-position all game long. Maybe we give-up fewer points if Illinois had a longer field to drive down. I still can't get over our ST's actually getting worse. Kick-off team was average, the rest was a ****-show. 

• Plus1 2

Right; kick-offs going into the end zone were the one improvement and great to see. Makes it to where you don't even have to worry about whether your coverage team can get the returner down better than we did last year.

Everything else was either just as bad as last year (translation: terrible) or worse.

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

CTB didn't catch it at the goal line because he forgot the rules. Maybe he thought he was at the 5 or 8, but more likely he wanted to make a play and chose to catch it knowing full well it broke the rule. 

CTB should never field a punt again. He’s cost us multiple opportunities - ie Iowa last season. What you’re saying would make each decision he made the WORST decision he could at the time and it actually would piss me off more if you are right. Not arguing against your point, but that he has no discipline and these coaches still trot them out there. 

These players are all hype and no substance, sick of this lack of discipline, sick of watching them try to do more than what’s there and then not even execute the simple plays. Chew some a$$ on the sideline and get these guys going. 

All we are is another teams end of season highlight reel. 

• Plus1 2
On 8/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

because it was a call on special teams I'll ask the question here.  On the punt that lead to the safety:  If CTB's knee was down on the goal line and the ball was outside of the endzone that makes it not a safety.  Too me it looked like the ball was outside the endzone when his knee was down.  It doesn't matter if he threw the ball or not because he was down.  The ref even made the call that his knee was down but then referenced CTB throwing the ball forward resulting in a safety.  Did they change the rules about when you are down?

Back to this one….

I agree. It looked to me like his knee was down just in front of the goal line and the ball was about 6” in front of the line. Thinking it should have been our ball on about the 6” line.  But, as completely stupid as what CTB did on that play, I can readily accept the safety call. I think it was the wrong call but idiocy like that should be penalized.

Also, it did not appear that the game had the expected camera angles. Not sure if that’s just s#!tty Fox coverage or what but we didn’t get many replays and when we did the usual angles did not seem to be available.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Also, it did not appear that the game had the expected camera angles. Not sure if that’s just s#!tty Fox coverage or what but we didn’t get many replays and when we did the usual angles did not seem to be available.

The graphics were off all day. I think August games get Fox's B team across the board.