Frost was doomed at the start!

Scott Frost’s biggest mistake was bringing his entire staff from UCF to Nebraska. The entire staff is completely over their skis with Big 10 competition. I am a college professor and do well at my job. I am not at the university level. If I was to move up to the Big 10 it would be very difficult at first:  Dissertations to approve and correct, fund raising, “publish or parish” etc.… Not impossible by any stretch but there would certainly be a learning curve. Now imagine every coach on the staff having to make that jump. They aren’t up to the task. Verduzco in particular, has not shown any acumen to coach Power 5 level QBs. AM has regressed. Nearly everyone else to measure transferred! Austin hasn’t done anything to distinguish himself at the Power 5 level as an offensive line coach. Look at the rest of the staff! They get out coached coming out of the half nearly every game.  Chinander might be the outlier, but Ill. had a pretty easy drive opening the 3rd quarter.

HCSF says they practiced against an odd front and Ill. played an even front. You’ve got to be kidding me!?!  How many weeks of practice did they have? Couldn’t they have taken 15 minutes in a practice and tell them “We think they’re going to be odd but just in case be prepared for the even” and practiced that a bit? It’s not wasted time. Won’t other teams be playing “even” the rest of the year? That is baffling and inept.

I was watching the B1G Network where they were interviewing coaches. Frost was with Bielema and Franklin. My initial impression was “Boy, those guys must be tough to recruit against.” Well spoken, polished, CEO like, with a certain gravitas that Frost didn’t seem to possess. (To be fair, neither did Tom Osborne in his early years. Old timers will recall how uncomfortable he looked on “The Tom Osborne Show” in the 70s!) But the point is, the B1G coaches are the top of the heap and DONU’s staff isn’t anywhere near competing with them.

I could go on about how Frost’s offense can’t match up at this level…(“We’re not going to run Martinez as often”…but that’s all they’ve got.) but that’s all for tonight

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, The Professor said:

HCSF says they practiced against an odd front and Ill. played an even front. You’ve got to be kidding me!?!  How many weeks of practice did they have? Couldn’t they have taken 15 minutes in a practice and tell them “We think they’re going to be odd but just in case be prepared for the even” and practiced that a bit? It’s not wasted time. Won’t other teams be playing “even” the rest of the year? That is baffling and inept.

This is the biggest issue I have with Frost in the game.  OK, you guessed wrong and they played a little different defense than you thought.  You can't make adjustments?  You have a veteran offensive line.  I'm sure they have played against an even front before.  You can't reach back to that and coach them to what they need to be doing differently?  And, yes...you couldn't have taken a week with odd front and then a week with even front so you're prepared for either one?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Scott Frost’s biggest mistake was bringing his entire staff from UCF to Nebraska. The entire staff is completely over their skis with Big 10 competition. I am a college professor and do well at my job. I am not at the university level. If I was to move up to the Big 10 it would be very difficult at first:  Dissertations to approve and correct, fund raising, “publish or parish” etc.… Not impossible by any stretch but there would certainly be a learning curve. Now imagine every coach on the staff having to make that jump. They aren’t up to the task. Verduzco in particular, has not shown any acumen to coach Power 5 level QBs. AM has regressed. Nearly everyone else to measure transferred! Austin hasn’t done anything to distinguish himself at the Power 5 level as an offensive line coach. Look at the rest of the staff! They get out coached coming out of the half nearly every game.  Chinander might be the outlier, but Ill. had a pretty easy drive opening the 3rd quarter.

I was watching the B1G Network where they were interviewing coaches. Frost was with Bielema and Franklin. My initial impression was “Boy, those guys must be tough to recruit against.” Well spoken, polished, CEO like, with a certain gravitas that Frost didn’t seem to possess. (To be fair, neither did Tom Osborne in his early years. Old timers will recall how uncomfortable he looked on “The Tom Osborne Show” in the 70s!) But the point is, the B1G coaches are the top of the heap and DONU’s staff isn’t anywhere near competing with them.

I could go on about how Frost’s offense can’t match up at this level…(“We’re not going to run Martinez as often”…but that’s all they’ve got.) but that’s all for tonight

In response to the second to last paragraph.. My brother walked on last fall and he said one thing that surprised him is he thought things would be ran like a business but it wasn’t. He claimed the staff was very unprofessional. For example they would ask him things like “You go to any to any good parties this weekend? Did you get laid?” He really didn’t know if they were trying to pressure him into saying something he shouldn’t or if they were generally just curious… Just odd.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Farms said:

In response to the second to last paragraph.. My brother walked on last fall and he said one thing that surprised him is he thought things would be ran like a business but it wasn’t. He claimed the staff was very unprofessional. For example they would ask him things like “You go to any to any good parties this weekend? Did you get laid?” He really didn’t know if they were trying to pressure him into saying something he shouldn’t or if they were generally just curious… Just odd.

Eh, I think that is just some basic locker room talk that has been going on (and will continue to go on) until the end of time.  I'd be interested to know when this conversation was had, i.e. walkthrough before a game when you should be buttoned up or at the start of fall camp when school is back in session and kids are getting their bearings.

The fact that you're teaching kids and can't differentiate between 'parish' and 'perish' has me giggling like...a lot.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This is more or less what we should expect from a program that quite literally plays 2-hand touch to prepare for the season.  A soft, ill-prepared team.

Whoever the next staff is has a lot of work ahead of them, and I hope we're half as patient as we have been with Frost.

A competent staff shows progress from year to year. I think our level of patience has increased. The next coach would get 4 years to show his stuff too. We need an experienced HC that has shown success at building a program. That is one thing Frost didnt have experience with honestly and it was the thing we needed most. Frost took a team that had quite a bit of success and fell on its face for 1 season. Though at the time we all thought it showed he knew what he was doing I think the players etc that he had on that roster were a perfect fit for what he was trying to do. Hits big time on a QB that no one else wanted and then ends up here where he is tasked to completely revamp a culture as well as a roster. He then as has been mentioned made a poor decision in bringing his entire staff with him. None knew the B1G, most had little to no experience coaching at this level etc. He could have plucked a few of his staff to bring a long and filled the rest out with experienced coaches at the P5 level. I honestly wish he would have hired a former P5 HC as one of his Coordinators that could have been his Assistant HC as that would have allowed him the ability to have someone to lean on that had been there before. He doesnt have that and we are in year 4 now. 

• Plus1 6
19 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

A competent staff shows progress from year to year. I think our level of patience has increased. The next coach would get 4 years to show his stuff too. We need an experienced HC that has shown success at building a program. That is one thing Frost didnt have experience with honestly and it was the thing we needed most. Frost took a team that had quite a bit of success and fell on its face for 1 season. Though at the time we all thought it showed he knew what he was doing I think the players etc that he had on that roster were a perfect fit for what he was trying to do. Hits big time on a QB that no one else wanted and then ends up here where he is tasked to completely revamp a culture as well as a roster. He then as has been mentioned made a poor decision in bringing his entire staff with him. None knew the B1G, most had little to no experience coaching at this level etc. He could have plucked a few of his staff to bring a long and filled the rest out with experienced coaches at the P5 level. I honestly wish he would have hired a former P5 HC as one of his Coordinators that could have been his Assistant HC as that would have allowed him the ability to have someone to lean on that had been there before. He doesnt have that and we are in year 4 now. 

This is a bullseye 

I don't have a problem with any of the coaches on defense except maybe Ruud.  I don't think the inside backers have improved at all.  They aren't terrible they just aren't that good.  The olb's had a pretty good game besides a couple of plays.  The offensive coaches are the problem and unfortunately Frost is top dog on that side of the ball.  

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

I'm not mad we made the decision to hire him when we did. It seemed like a good decision, it was the popular choice, it made sense. It just didn't work.

Everyone in the country thought it was a homerun hire. Frost has had our full support while going 12-20 the last 3 years. At some point you have to show improvement on the field to earn that support. Just give me a coach that has shown he can build a program. I dont care if it is G5 or P5. Show me someone that took over a below 500 team and turned it around. Jamey Chadwell as an example has done it at a few levels now. I actually think he is the next "Matt Campbell" in terms of a younger HC that will go to a P5 school and build it into a consistent top 25 team. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
North Greenville Crusaders (NCAA Division II independent) (2009–2011)
2009 North Greenville 2–8          
2010 North Greenville 9–3     W Victory    
2011 North Greenville 11–3     L NCAA Division II Quarterfinal    
North Greenville: 22–14    
Delta State Statesmen (Gulf South Conference) (2012)
2012 Delta State 3–7 1–4 T–5th      
Delta State: 3–7 1–4  
Charleston Southern Buccaneers (Big South Conference) (2013–2016)
2013 Charleston Southern 10–3 3–2 3rd      
2014 Charleston Southern 8–4 3–2 T–3rd      
2015 Charleston Southern 10–3 6–0 1st L FCS Playoffs Quarterfinals    
2016 Charleston Southern 7–4 4–1 T–1st L FCS Playoffs First Round    
Charleston Southern: 35–14 16–5  
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (Sun Belt Conference) (2017)
2017 Coastal Carolina 3–9 2–6 T–10th      
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (Sun Belt Conference) (2019–present)
2019 Coastal Carolina 5–7 2–6 5th (East)      
2020 Coastal Carolina 11–1 8–0 1st (East)[15] L Cure 14 14
Coastal Carolina: 19–17 12–12  
Total: 79–52
  • Plus1 1

If Nebraska football coaches were a movie:

Clueless. 

giphy+(6).gif

Unprepared, unaware, and totally clueless on how to prepare the team and make adjustments during a game.  Frost's comment about 'odd front' was unbelievable - but yet not unsurprising based on the results.  :facepalm:

I told my wife, I'm not going to the Oklahoma Cornhusker Club after this.  I have better things to do with my Saturdays (even if it is doing 'honey dos') then getting my blood pressure to rise while watching such ineptness. 

Would Frankie consider coming out of retirement?  Maybe he can hire BO as his DC again and we can go back to when this train fell off the tracks in 2003.  If only it were that simple to turn back the clock.   Doc Brown- we need you more than ever now -  Great Scott has turned into a not so great dud.  

Docbrown Backtothefuture GIF - Docbrown Backtothefuture Greatscott GIFs