What Good Can Come From the Fordham Game?

48 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I might’ve agreed with this a week ago but I think the importance of the next 3 games has flipped some.  They need to dominate and blow the doors off Fordham, and win decisively against Buffalo to cool down the heat they are getting. Oklahoma….well Oklahoma is going to kick our s#!t in and everyone should realize that. I don’t think anybody is reserving judgement based on the OU game (although a semi respectable showing would go a long ways). But Fordham and Buffalo, those are potential career enders. I honestly don’t feel either of those games is a guaranteed outcome at this point. Fordham should be a 40+ point blowout and Buffalo 3-4 TDs minimum but I have absolutely no confidence this sh#t show can manage that two weeks in a row. In fact my best guess is that they’ll struggle mightily in at least one of those games.

Given how poorly our offense has performed under Frost, I don't see NU winning either game by 40 points, and in fact I agree with you that at least one of the games may stay close through the 3rd quarter.  In other words, I don't think there is much Frost can do to take the heat off as his team SHOULD be expected to win easily the next 2 games, and if they hold to that, the heat will still be there, though with less bite to it.  

Regarding Oklahoma and all the history Nebraska has with Oklahoma, its the type of game you expect any Nebraska team to compete well even when overmatched.  I just think if Oklahoma wins by 20 or more points, it will serve as a reminder of how far the Nebraska program has fallen relative to Oklahoma and will also be another indicator that Frost has not changed the trajectory of the program in the 4th year as he was expected to do.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Given how poorly our offense has performed under Frost, I don't see NU winning either game by 40 points, and in fact I agree with you that at least one of the games may stay close through the 3rd quarter.  In other words, I don't think there is much Frost can do to take the heat off as his team SHOULD be expected to win easily the next 2 games, and if they hold to that, the heat will still be there, though with less bite to it.  

Regarding Oklahoma and all the history Nebraska has with Oklahoma, its the type of game you expect any Nebraska team to compete well even when overmatched.  I just think if Oklahoma wins by 20 or more points, it will serve as a reminder of how far the Nebraska program has fallen relative to Oklahoma and will also be another indicator that Frost has not changed the trajectory of the program in the 4th year as he was expected to do.  

We don’t need to lose to OU by 20 to remind us and the rest of the world how far we’ve fallen. I think everyone already knows. Frost is already trending downward. He’s #1 on coacheshotseat.com.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:40 AM, Husker4Real said:

The truth is, very little good can come from this game.  If NU wins big - no one will care or be impressed at all.  If NU struggles, which - given their history under Frost - is entirely possible, it is yet another stain on the program.

All is not lost, though.  There is a scenario where some good can be gained from this game.  If NU gets out to a big lead, back-ups can play.  In particular, back-up QBs.  Even more ideal, NU will race to a big lead in the first half, and Smothers/Haarberg can get some snaps with other first team players.  I say that knowing that "ideal" scenarios are quite rare for Nebraska, these days.

The Illinois loss is going to be a dark cloud that will linger for at least a month.  No one will be impressed if NU beats Fordham and Buffalo (and we all know Buffalo won't be a 'gimmee').  I have absolutely no hope NU is going to beat OU.  That means we will have to wait for the game at Michigan State for a chance for a win that that may actually feel like an accomplishment.  And, we can't assume anything in that game, either.

What a mess....

I think it is just a positive thing that the Rust Belt is allowing the Corn Belt to have home games this year. 

12 minutes ago, FTW said:

We don’t need to lose to OU by 20 to remind us and the rest of the world how far we’ve fallen. I think everyone already knows. Frost is already trending downward. He’s #1 on coacheshotseat.com.

Well there are some that still believe Frost deserves a couple more years even if the team continues to struggle all season. I think Oklahoma is a symbolic game as Frost was hired to have us compete and potentially win against programs like OU, so if we are not competitive we may see more fans call for a coaching change. Let's hope things turnaround but I am not holding my breath that it will happen.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well there are some that still believe Frost deserves a couple more years even if the team continues to struggle all season. I think Oklahoma is a symbolic game as Frost was hired to have us compete and potentially win against programs like OU, so if we are not competitive we may see more fans call for a coaching change. Let's hope things turnaround but I am not holding my breath that it will happen.

And the irony of it is that Frost attempted to circumvent this marque benchmark game. 

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Meaningless throwaway game in my opinion. We'll win simply because of the talent difference. Doesn't mean a thing, doesn't prove anything. As soon as we play someone with a pulse we'll get smacked around again.

Meaningless throw away game?

How bout we be excited to watch a Husker game, at home, with all the fans in the stadium.  Haven't seen that since 2019.  This team has my support.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2

11 hours ago, FTW said:

I checked out http://coacheshotseat.com/ , I thought it was ironic that Chip Kelly is on the list, but on second thought, that's not ironic.