Fordham Week Pressers

Cdog923

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if maybe the dudes with "all the talent" are held to a different standard of what a "good practice" looks like.

I have never had that problem, I always pick the dude that is the better player over the kid that tries hard.  It does not always work but I still have always done it.

And SF is willing to ride or die with this practice crap. 

and regarding Betts, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth yesterday. How does “he gets better every practice” correlate to “he’s not consistent in practice”.  The only way I can reconcile it is that he doesn’t come to every practice. In which case he should be booted and not just benched. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, krc1995 said:

And SF is willing to ride or die with this practice crap. 

and regarding Betts, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth yesterday. How does “he gets better every practice” correlate to “he’s not consistent in practice”.  The only way I can reconcile it is that he doesn’t come to every practice. In which case he should be booted and not just benched. 

Yeah, I don't know.  I can't imagine he is skipping practices.

Who knows!

1 hour ago, Decked said:

He’s a real fan of the brings his lunch pail to work everyday kinda guys 

I guess I'm maybe a minority in that I agree that players need to bring it every day to practice and have their heads in it and work hard.  Betts had a problem last year not knowing the offense and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  If he's not practicing well and not paying attention to detail, you have to play the guy who is.

• Plus1 4
46 minutes ago, Bledred said:

How does Frost know that practice translates 100% to game day performance?  Has he cracked a code that nobody else knows about?  There are players who may have size, height, and speed advantages over everyone else on our team but are sitting out the game because they did not look as good as someone who is slower, smaller, and shorter during practice?  Not only are we shooting ourselves in the foot with major blunders which causes us to lose games we should easily win, but we are not even fielding the best talent that we recruit.  What a mess. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 1.23.24 PM.png

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I'm maybe a minority in that I agree that players need to bring it every day to practice and have their heads in it and work hard.  Betts had a problem last year not knowing the offense and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  If he's not practicing well and not paying attention to detail, you have to play the guy who is.

How many years do you not practice well and the coach doesn’t try another strategy? and he doesn’t appear to be the only one not knowing what to do or where to go. CTB is feast or famine. 

Year two and you can’t practice well then maybe it the practice. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

How many years do you not practice well and the coach doesn’t try another strategy? and he doesn’t appear to be the only one not knowing what to do or where to go. CTB is feast or famine. 

Year two and you can’t practice well then maybe it the practice. 

I’ve sat on this for about 4-5 years, but it sounds like this was a concern since early in his HS days too, and this comes from someone who doesn’t give two bits about Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

I’ve sat on this for about 4-5 years, but it sounds like this was a concern since early in his HS days too, and this comes from someone who doesn’t give two bits about Nebraska. 

This really does lead to more questions

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree….and especially in the first few years of trying to instill a culture. It’s too easy to look in from the outside and assume a guy with seemingly more natural talent is the better choice. None of us are at practice every day.

I’m starting to have my doubts that Frost & Co know how to do any of this but surely he is playing the guys he feels give the team the best chance to succeed. But there could be a gap between building the right long term culture and winning this week.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree….and especially in the first few years of trying to instill a culture. It’s too easy to look in from the outside and assume a guy with seemingly more natural talent is the better choice. None of us are at practice every day.

I’m starting to have my doubts that Frost & Co know how to do any of this but surely he is playing the guys he feels give the team the best chance to succeed. But there could be a gap between building the right long term culture and winning this week.

I said this a couple pages back, but this is my own theory on this. I think Frost wants to finally beat these B1G teams at their own game and establish a grinding, power run game with his backs starting from the first series of the game.

So he needs his wide receivers to commit to strong, quality blocking. I'll bet he's going with the guys who show the strongest/highest effort run blocking in practice for this very reason.

Not at all defending this idea - just speculating on why Frost is doing it. You'd think that this would give Run The Damn Ball Guy some kind of solace, but it's no solace at all when your base run game is as bad as ours wound up being on Saturday anyway. It sucked.

Do something differently, Scott. What you're doing isn't working.

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I said this a couple pages back, but this is my own theory on this. I think Frost wants to finally beat these B1G teams at their own game and establish a grinding, power run game with his backs starting from the first series of the game.

So he needs his wide receivers to commit to strong, quality blocking. I'll bet he's going with the guys who show the strongest/highest effort run blocking in practice for this very reason.

Not at all defending this idea - just speculating on why Frost is doing it. You'd think that this would give Run The Damn Ball Guy some kind of solace, but it's no solace at all when your base run game is as bad as ours wound up being on Saturday anyway. It sucked.

I don’t think Scott knows what he’s doing at all. Good coaches can adjust mid game with efficacy. The best coaches couple that with a memory like an elephant. They recall specific moments in games from years ago. Scott never can.  He can’t adjust for unknowns or unscripted schemes. 

We’re all speculative here. But the results speak for themselves. A terrible on field product that looks like it’s regressing with Scott having an entire roster of his guys. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Undone said:

That, and he doesn't call the game like he wants to establish the run. 47 Drop Backs vs 25 Designed runs on Saturday. 

• Plus1 1