Fordham Week Pressers

Cdog923

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks, because you posted this, I went back and watched it.  I didn't realize someone had posted it on here.  I honestly never heard him say, "half our game plan went out the window".  I heard him say he prepared for the even front with wide 9s and wide 5s but not as many reps as the odd front.

I'm as disappointed in Saturday as anyone.  But, the tone of the press conference is very different than what is being discussed on here.

He said multiple times..."We guessed wrong"....."About half of our game plan was out the window when they lined up how they did." The 4 man front really screwed them up, according to Frost himself. We will see how it plays out the rest of the season, but if something as simple as a new coaching staff coming out in an unexpected front can handcuff your offense that much, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Guys like Leonhard, Coombs, Macdonald - all run multiple fronts - and will make Frost adjust in the middle of a game. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When specifically did he say the "half the playbook...."?  EDIT.....i found it.    But, if you listen to the entire press conference, the comment isn't quite as bad as it's being portrayed to be.

I agree with you on the disconnect from practice to games.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah that is getting blown up.

Frost is right, there are a lot of plays that you won't use during a game for a lot of different reasons.

The thing is, if he was talking about specific plays or formations that they felt like they couldn't use due to some elaborate change in scheme, that's one thing. 

It was an even front. The most basic of all fronts. Greg Austin should be able to draw up blocking schemes in his sleep for a 4 man front. The starting 5 linemen should be able to recite how to block an even front without thinking. I shudder to think what something actually sophisticated might do to these guys if an even front causes this much trouble. If you can't adjust to running IZ or OZ from an odd front to an even front, what are you doing in big-time college football?

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The thing is, if he was talking about specific plays or formations that they felt like they couldn't use due to some elaborate change in scheme, that's one thing. 

It was an even front. The most basic of all fronts. Greg Austin should be able to draw up blocking schemes in his sleep for a 4 man front. The starting 5 linemen should be able to recite how to block an even front without thinking. I shudder to think what something actually sophisticated might do to these guys if an even front causes this much trouble. If you can't adjust to running IZ or OZ from an odd front to an even front, what are you doing in big-time college football?

Totally agree, I mean OL coaches use the marker board for that all the time.  I don't get it.

16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Agree- with zone blocking you just apply your covered/uncovered rules. The front DOESNT MATTER- that's why guys use zone blocking. GEEEZ

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I mean our offense has statistically gotten worse every year. Multiple games our offense has disappeared in the 2nd half. Then we have quotes like the one from Frost yesterday. I'm worried the book is out on Frost, and the book is he can't adjust. At UCF he tore it up for one season, there wasn't the continuity for DC's to figure him out. Year 1 Nebraska same thing. He wasn't a known quantity. First drive last year against OSU, absolutely beautiful. Frost is an absolute genius on scripting a game plan against a known quantity. But guess what, as soon as a good DC adjusts to Frost - his offense falls apart. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Farms said:

But I thought teams were going to have to adjust to us…

If Frost was able to build the particular machine he wanted to, then this would be correct.  But the machine can't be reliably built.

Frost wants to build a machine predicated on a dual-threat QB.  Why?  Because no defensive scheme adequately accounts for a QB as a runner and a passer.  So by scheme alone, the defense will always give one of those options away.  So it's a great concept.  Except that there are only between 0 and 2 true dual-threat QB's nationally in any given year.  So to turn the concept into a reality, Frost needs to locate and secure a particular "piece" of the machine that is ridiculously scarce.  

On top of that, the staff goes out and gets receivers that are supposed to work in that kind of system.  Wan'Dale was an example.  Explosiveness is valued over fluidity.  YAC is valued over precise route-running.  And so on.

So what happens when you end up with a running back who can throw a little?  Well, you end up with a guy who is an iffy passer trying to pass to receivers that aren't where they should be, when they should be - because that wasn't valued.  So the machine you ended up building in reality malfunctions. 

STOP TRYING TO BUILD AN OFFENSIVE MACHINE PREDICATED ON A DUAL-THREAT QB.  It is that simple.  It is a terrible idea because you can't get one reliably.  So you will just keep losing.  And losing.  And losing.  STOP, I BEG YOU!

Frost needs to stop trying to re-live the McKenzie Milton miracle.  Period.

But, yes, Farms, if you could actually build the machine that Frost wanted to build - rather than be forever limited at holding it in your mind as a philosophical concept - then everyone would have to adapt to Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I get it, I do, but they practice in the morning and do pressers right after at like 11am.

And what is the difference if you show up at 6am and leave at 5pm, or show up at noon and leave 11pm.

Either way, this is what happens when fans start to get upset, everything becomes a big deal.  But I think there is only about 3 more months of this and then a coaching search. 

Pretty sure the failed Frost experiment comes to an end after the OU game. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

He said multiple times..."We guessed wrong"....."About half of our game plan was out the window when they lined up how they did." The 4 man front really screwed them up, according to Frost himself. We will see how it plays out the rest of the season, but if something as simple as a new coaching staff coming out in an unexpected front can handcuff your offense that much, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the year. Guys like Leonhard, Coombs, Macdonald - all run multiple fronts - and will make Frost adjust in the middle of a game. 

I said a few minutes ago on here that I found it.  Listening to the entire press conference, I now believe this comment is being somewhat blown out of proportion.  Reading this thread, it sounds like they didn't even think about the possibility of that and didn't practice for it.  That's not true.  Fact is, they were guessing on what they were going to do.  He said that before the game.  With a new staff, that's the only option they had.  He said they watched a ton of film and guessed one way, they went they other way and our staff had to make adjustments like he mentioned in the press conference.

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't disagree with this at all.  But, the comments on here made it sound like they hadn't prepared at all for a 4 man front.  That's not true.  Now, the adjustments to it should have been much easier than they obviously were.

• Fire 1