Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

I think scott is done, i think the pressure to bring his alma mater back is to great for him.  He even said during his hiring press conference that he understood what it ment to be coach here.  And he was never more wrong, i have all the faith that he can go back to a ucf and do just fine, but he cant handle the pressure at a place like this.  He has already started to go down the hole and it has started about the end of year two when all he has done is put his foot in his mouth over and over again.  Even if he goes 6 and 6 i still dont think you can keep him, he just doesnt have the teeth.  Even if the pressure isnt on him here nationally its on him, golden boy comes home after going undefeated and has 4 loosing seasons in a row.  Nebraska can come back from this and we can be a iowa, or an iowa state or a michigan state.  But scott can never be great here, because the pressure is to much for one man to handle.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

That's pretty spot on IMO.  I'm still not ready to move on from Frost, but I am ready to move on from his system as it has been and is now.  Will he commit to getting things cleaned up (both on and off the field if needed)?  If he realizes that he needs to approach his job differently and not have his hands all over the offense, just find the best assistants and manage the team and keep everyone accountable.  Starting with himself.  Then I think he can keep his tenure going.  But as of right now, nothing on offense is working well. Two to three O coaches probably need to seek other employment.  The D seems okay for now, but if major changes are made w/ the O staff, trust me, they will be on notice.  But, honestly, I think all of the coaches are trying and doing the best they can, but at least 2 or 3 just don't have what it takes at this level.  We all see it.  I don't care how well they recruit.  What's the use in that if you can't coach?

36 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I think scott is done, i think the pressure to bring his alma mater back is to great for him.  He even said during his hiring press conference that he understood what it ment to be coach here.  And he was never more wrong, i have all the faith that he can go back to a ucf and do just fine, but he cant handle the pressure at a place like this.  He has already started to go down the hole and it has started about the end of year two when all he has done is put his foot in his mouth over and over again.  Even if he goes 6 and 6 i still dont think you can keep him, he just doesnt have the teeth.  Even if the pressure isnt on him here nationally its on him, golden boy comes home after going undefeated and has 4 loosing seasons in a row.  Nebraska can come back from this and we can be a iowa, or an iowa state or a michigan state.  But scott can never be great here, because the pressure is to much for one man to handle.

Agree with a majority of this...big disagree is if he goes 6-6 we NEED to keep him solely on perception..bowl game, 1st non losing season (regular season)...everyone heard Huards snide comment about Pelini being let go "apparently 9 wins is not enough" or something to that effect 

This weird idea that NU can't get "back"

The crazy media and the dorky fans that did all the could to run off Bo and his 9/10 wins and 1st/2nd place division finishes even realize that being "back" is pretty freaking easy.

Frost was a homerun hire that did not work out, it happens.

When Coach Gus Malzahn is here things will be very different.  NU will have the first or second best coach in the conference the second he signs.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This weird idea that NU can't get "back"

The crazy media and the dorky fans that did all the could to run off Bo and his 9/10 wins and 1st/2nd place division finishes even realize that being "back" is pretty freaking easy.

Frost was a homerun hire that did not work out, it happens.

When Coach Gus Malzahn is here things will be very different.  NU will have the first or second best coach in the conference the second he signs.  

I have never been "If Frost can't we are doomed", but he did a great job of mentioned Iowa, Wisky, Iowa St. Hell look at Minnie 2 years ago or North Western.  They have all been good. No reason with the right staff, NU couldn't flip the script and be the team that the West championship goes though.  No reason at all.  Start being "that team" and it opens up the opportunities for more progress.

I, like everyone, thought Frost was as you mentioned a home run hit.  But it didn't work out.  I think an inexperienced staff and trying to meet the expectations (real, imagined, his, ours, pundits etc) of this job was a lot to over come.  Hard to be the "savior" and not win....

He spent 9 minutes saying nothing 

Frost has been within a score of Iowa each of the three games.  There was no Wisconsin game last season.

And he's attempting to make it sound like it was the first game BB has ever coached to get Nebraska fans fired up.

its working on some.......

He forgot to mention K-State has beaten Oklahoma.

Yeah ....he's "spot on".

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1