Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes  that is what I see too. I've been there as well - many years ago.  I had a regional president, not the one I reported to, who for whatever reason, I could not get on his good side in spite of my good performance reviews.  I knew I was a dead man walking even though it was months before I left the company.  (Fortunately my praying wife was looking in the want ads for me and found a new position in my profession and I gave my notice the same day the company was going to let me go - They instead gave me a retainer for the next 3 months to help them on the side - answer to prayer for sure -  but I digress)  You feel paralyzed in even making constructive changes because of the weight on ones shoulders.  Compounding Scott's on field issues are the off field issues.  He's in a state of denial, not willing to be accountable (or so it seems), and stuck.  Some of the things he has said recently prove he is stuck in paralysis thinking  - having to throw out half the play book because Illinois was in an even front not a odd front is just one example.   It creates a toxic environment and perhaps this explains all of the transfer portal moves away from Nebraska.  The pressure of the job was too much. But pressure reveals what is within and it seems to have come out full force since Scott got here. He's gone from golden boy to mud in a short period.  I for one have started to pray for the guy - not for Husker winning sake but for him as an individual. He may need to crash to the bottom to come out of tailspin he seems to be in. However, that doesn't mean Nebraska has to ride the ride with him down to the bottom.     Ok, I'll take off my arm chair psychologist hat:stir and put back on my arm chair AD hat.:cop:

Yeah, I feel for the guy. I really wanted it to work for him and I’m pretty sure, up until now, he wanted it more than anyone. I give him credit for trying. I think he made great strides with some culture issues. This isn’t another Callahan or Riley or even Pelini situation. I just think he and his staff are in above their heads and toss in some apparent off field issues and, well, here we are.

I actually thought he was the last and only chance. The video in the OP made me realize that is not the case. There is no choice other than for NU football to keep trying. Unfortunately it is not going to work out for Scott here. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I feel for the guy. I really wanted it to work for him and I’m pretty sure, up until now, he wanted it more than anyone. I give him credit for trying. I think he made great strides with some culture issues. This isn’t another Callahan or Riley or even Pelini situation. I just think he and his staff are in above their heads and toss in some apparent off field issues and, well, here we are.

I actually thought he was the last and only chance. The video in the OP made me realize that is not the case. There is no choice other than for NU football to keep trying. Unfortunately it is not going to work out for Scott here. I wish him nothing but the best.

Hopefully after the season Coach Frost can take some time to reflect, get healthy, centered and rested. I'm thinking he ends up in the AAC again or Conference USA as a rich man. Feel very bad for him, his intentions were noble and his effort was great for most of his tenure. I wish him happiness and success. 

What if these rumors aren’t true.  Or they are so wildly embellished that reality is much less damning.   People tend to exaggerate.  We all do it. Who doesn’t like a big juicy rumor?

I get the disappointment with the game Saturday, but would so many still be hammering Coach the way they are if the alleged off the field stuff wasn’t there? 

Are we as a collective fan base becoming addicted to misery?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What if these rumors aren’t true.  Or they are so wildly embellished that reality is much less damning.   People tend to exaggerate.  We all do it. Who doesn’t like a big juicy rumor?

I get the disappointment with the game Saturday, but would so many still be hammering Coach the way they are if the alleged off the field stuff wasn’t there? 

Yes.

It's the losing - the other things make it easier to pile on, but he's being hammered because of the losing. Specifically the shooting ourselves in the foot in a game we easily could have won, and admitting we had to nuke our gameplan based on what the opponent did, again.

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

The rumors aren’t really playing into my take. His pressers and demeanor, the lack of actual improvement and his not having any answers for it are what’s shaping my opinion. But yes, after all that, it would seem to lend some credence to the rumors.

I don’t think Troy Dumas lights him up on Twitter and calls him out for not showing up until noon without pretty hard evidence. This staff, most importantly Frost himself, just don’t have the answers to move the program forward. We’ve seen the evidence on the field. When an even D front causes you to throw your game plan out the window, I…I don’t even know how a coach can admit that. That is basically a cry for help. He is defeated. I don’t think we can expect a team with that for leadership to do much.

And it isn’t going to get easier. Every coach and team we face from here on out is going to have all the confidence in the world. One of the things that made our 90’s teams so formidable was that the opponents were defeated before they took the field. We are now the defeated ones having to take that field. I don’t think it will be pretty.

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think Troy Dumas lights him up on Twitter and calls him out for not showing up until noon without pretty hard evidence. This staff, most importantly Frost himself, just don’t have the answers to move the program forward. We’ve seen the evidence on the field. When an even D front causes you to throw your game plan out the window, I…I don’t even know how a coach can admit that. That is basically a cry for help. He is defeated. I don’t think we can expect a team with that for leadership to do much.

Anyone know the context of showing up at noon?

Is it missing practice?  Is it on off days?  Is his missing meetings?  Is it a lack of engagement?

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I think scott is done, i think the pressure to bring his alma mater back is to great for him.  He even said during his hiring press conference that he understood what it ment to be coach here.  And he was never more wrong, i have all the faith that he can go back to a ucf and do just fine, but he cant handle the pressure at a place like this.  He has already started to go down the hole and it has started about the end of year two when all he has done is put his foot in his mouth over and over again.  Even if he goes 6 and 6 i still dont think you can keep him, he just doesnt have the teeth.  Even if the pressure isnt on him here nationally its on him, golden boy comes home after going undefeated and has 4 loosing seasons in a row.  Nebraska can come back from this and we can be a iowa, or an iowa state or a michigan state.  But scott can never be great here, because the pressure is to much for one man to handle.

Given illinois is projected to be towards the bottom of the Big10, I honestly dont see how this team reaches 6 and 6 without a drastic turnaround.  If they do, there's no way we get rid of frosty.  At this point, a 6-6 would require wins against a couple of: Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin... wins there would go a long way to give him 1 more year to figure this s#!t out

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 307husker said:

I don't live in Nebraska and haven't heard any rumors.  Is there somewhere where these things are spelled out?  I'm lost.

Without saying too much, there are rumors that there may be a coach in America somewhere who let money and fame and celebrity go to his already exceedingly arrogant and big headed ego and started sleeping around with multiple hot chicks in the area, the kind of hot chicks that would like to get with a well built, good looking,  rich and famous man eventually leading to a pregnancy which naturally may or may not have resulted in significant marital issues leading to some degree of substance abuse or lack of substance abuse which in turn led to slacking which may or may not lead to his team performing at a subpar level consistently. 

• Plus1 6
  • Oh Yeah! 2
13 hours ago, TheSker said:

He spent 9 minutes saying nothing 

Frost has been within a score of Iowa each of the three games.  There was no Wisconsin game last season.

And he's attempting to make it sound like it was the first game BB has ever coached to get Nebraska fans fired up.

its working on some.......

He forgot to mention K-State has beaten Oklahoma.

Yeah ....he's "spot on".

That's an odd way to summarize his take. 

He actually does the opposite of making it sound like it's the "first game" of anything. 

The takeaway shared by devoted Husker fans and seasoned outside observers is pretty much the same: there were too many things in Saturday's game that shouldn't have happened in Year Four of Scott Frost's tenure. 

I think even you agree with that. 

What he's saying is that it's okay to admit this isn't working, that it's okay for Husker fans to demand scaled down, mid-pack Big 10 respect, that talent will come to Lincoln, and that Scott Frost wasn't our last hope. That's not click bait. That's calm rationality. 

I was down for two more safe, secure seasons for Scott Frost myself, but the on field performance and especially the post-game excuse making was pretty jarring.

Frost has 11 more games to make us eat our words, and I'll even accept hard fought losses against better teams.  I'm wide open to that, but at this point I wouldn't put money on it. And putting money on it is something a P5 program has to do.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Given illinois is projected to be towards the bottom of the Big10, I honestly dont see how this team reaches 6 and 6 without a drastic turnaround.  If they do, there's no way we get rid of frosty.  At this point, a 6-6 would require wins against a couple of: Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin... wins there would go a long way to give him 1 more year to figure this s#!t out

There is no way the team that was almost blown out by Illinois and BB who has not been HC of a football game in 3 years and who brought in a back-up QB who was rejected by Rutgers is going to have even a remote shot at beating the likes of Michigan, Iowa, or Wisconsin.  Trust me when I say this....Every. single. fan. coach. and player in the B1G is rooting for Scott Frost and co. to 'have a little more time'.  Because as time passes we are getting worse.  Time to stop the bleeding and put the fires out and start a rebuild with a long-term proven HC from a solid football program (we have not had one of these with Mike or Frost).  The Frost Titanic is sinking and there are fans on the deck saying "why are you leaving!  We can still save the ship!", meanwhile Captain Frost himself is already in a life boat. 

54 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Anyone know the context of showing up at noon?

Is it missing practice?  Is it on off days?  Is his missing meetings?  Is it a lack of engagement?

I do not know the context other than it is not acceptable to a lot of people who understand the inner workings. There were also some accusations of missing practices. Sounds like a lack of engagement to me. Possibly because Moos was not around to keep an eye on things. Definitely hard to expect the players to do things the right way while the grownups are apparently not modeling the behavior.

32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's an odd way to summarize his take. 

He actually does the opposite of making it sound like it's the "first game" of anything. 

The takeaway shared by devoted Husker fans and seasoned outside observers is pretty much the same: there were too many things in Saturday's game that shouldn't have happened in Year Four of Scott Frost's tenure. 

I think even you agree with that. 

What he's saying is that it's okay to admit this isn't working, that it's okay for Husker fans to demand scaled down, mid-pack Big 10 respect, that talent will come to Lincoln, and that Scott Frost wasn't our last hope. That's not click bait. That's calm rationality. 

I was down for two more safe, secure seasons for Scott Frost myself, but the on field performance and especially the post-game excuse making was pretty jarring.

Frost has 11 more games to make us eat our words, and I'll even accept hard fought losses against better teams.  I'm wide open to that, but at this point I wouldn't put money on it. And putting money on it is something a P5 program has to do.

Well said.

34 minutes ago, Bledred said:

There is no way the team that was almost blown out by Illinois and BB who has not been HC of a football game in 3 years and who brought in a back-up QB who was rejected by Rutgers is going to have even a remote shot at beating the likes of Michigan, Iowa, or Wisconsin.  Trust me when I say this....Every. single. fan. coach. and player in the B1G is rooting for Scott Frost and co. to 'have a little more time'.  Because as time passes we are getting worse.  Time to stop the bleeding and put the fires out and start a rebuild with a long-term proven HC from a solid football program (we have not had one of these with Mike or Frost).  The Frost Titanic is sinking and there are fans on the deck saying "why are you leaving!  We can still save the ship!", meanwhile Captain Frost himself is already in a life boat. 

A long term proven HC from a proven program?  Feel free to name some names because im blanking on who would fit the bill here and realistically come here if they were already at a solid program

There is a lot of football left, an entire season.  This is one game.  And a tough loss.  Even Iowa started 0-2 last season and won the West. 

I don't know if "can nebraska be fixed"...  but I'm not throwing in the towel. I want to see how the next 6 games play out.  Should have a better idea about this team by then.

• Plus1 2