Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

43 minutes ago, runningblind said:

What coach even gets a year 4 with 3 losing seasons with only limited progress on one side of the ball? Getting a 5th with 4 losing seasons honestly seems like it'd be a first. 

I still think that would be catastrophic for program support, it would start to seriously dwindle.

it just inflates our current problem of selling tickets. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, FTW said:

Another UCF HC to Nebraska? You’re joking, right? I mean I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or dead serious, lol.

The only similarities Frost and Gus have are they are both head coaches.  Gus is miles better than SF in every single way.

23 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Without saying too much, there are rumors that there may be a coach in America somewhere who let money and fame and celebrity go to his already exceedingly arrogant and big headed ego and started sleeping around with multiple hot chicks in the area, the kind of hot chicks that would like to get with a well built, good looking,  rich and famous man eventually leading to a pregnancy which naturally may or may not have resulted in significant marital issues leading to some degree of substance abuse or lack of substance abuse which in turn led to slacking which may or may not lead to his team performing at a subpar level consistently. 

So Oregon 2.0 eh?

On 8/31/2021 at 4:34 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I would love to see one of you guys go back in time and tell Nebraska fans of 2014 that Bo Pelini's big game embarrassments, historically poor record against ranked teams, zero conference championships, and barely sniffing the back end of the Top 25 was the ceiling for expectations at the University of Nebraska and we should be grateful for it.

If you go back to 2008, you'll find that Bo Pelini was widely celebrated for bringing Nebraska football back to relevance. That doesn't mean his firing seven seasons later was wrong. No more than it was wrong for Youngstown State and LSU to dump Bo after us.

Show of hands: is it now too much to ask that Nebraska compete for conference championships and national rankings? Or would we take 9-4 seasons forever with humble appreciation? 

Call me a dreamer, but I still think Nebraska could be the next Iowa State or Indiana.  

To the bolded:  move the goalposts much?  While Bo didn't win any conference championships, he did play for his fair share.  In the above bolded you say he barely sniffed the back end of the top 25.  In the below bolded, you ask if it is too much to ask for national rankings.  We were pretty much in the national rankings almost every year Bo was here.  We did get blown out.  However, we nearly won some conference championships as well under Bo.  9-4 seasons in the B1G typically would result in a national ranking.    

Your post is no different than many of the posts I've read over the years that have justified firing Solich.  We haven't won a conference championship since Solich.  We haven't played for a national championship since Solich.  If the desire was to be the next Iowa State or Indiana, then we've made two huge firing blunders with Solich and Bo.  I know most fans don't like to hear this, but our ceiling changed when we joined the Big 12.  It changed again when we joined the B1G.    

• Plus1 5

We spend so much time talking about past Husker coaching regimes and their firings. 

But irrespective of expectations and Bo's 9 win minimum and whether that was good enough and all of that...remember when we joined the Big 10 and we thought of Iowa as a crap program that was dumb, boring, and slow?

Stop for a minute and just think about how much better they are as a program than we are. And their recruiting classes are consistently lower than ours. 

Frost just hasn't figured out how to get his team to lessen mistakes and play well on special teams. If these things persist in year 4 I just don't see how he ever really figures it out.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

To the bolded:  move the goalposts much?  While Bo didn't win any conference championships, he did play for his fair share.  In the above bolded you say he barely sniffed the back end of the top 25.  In the below bolded, you ask if it is too much to ask for national rankings.  We were pretty much in the national rankings almost every year Bo was here.  We did get blown out.  However, we nearly won some conference championships as well under Bo.  9-4 seasons in the B1G typically would result in a national ranking.    

In Bo Pelini's last four years Nebraska finished ranked 24th, 25th, Unranked and Unranked. The conference championship we "nearly won" was actually a humiliating blowout to an 8-5 Wisconsin team. A lot of us took pride in the division championship that year, but there was no getting around the taste left in your mouth from that CC game.. The question was whether Husker fans were expecting too much back then, or now. No one, and I mean no one, thought those 9-4 seasons were enough. Most didn't want to fire Bo, but they did demand progress. And that's really the question:  should Nebraska still see itself as a program that can contend for the Big 10 and national relevance, or accept the new conventional wisdom that we'd be lucky to get back to 9-4 and happy to even be in a game with Wisconsin?

This is actually about leaving the goalposts where they were and comparing expectations.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Iowa is a great example of what is wrong with Nebraska.  Ferentz is the longest tenured coach in the B1G.  Nebraska has chosen the revolving door method.  After much reading here, it appears as though we're ready to keep that method rolling.  

Ferentz also only had 2 losing seasons. Not 3, going on 4 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In Bo Pelini's last four years Nebraska finished ranked 24th, 25th, Unranked and Unranked. The conference championship we "nearly won" was actually a humiliating blowout to an 8-5 Wisconsin team. A lot of us took pride in the division championship that year, but there was no getting around the taste left in your mouth from that CC game.. The question was whether Husker fans were expecting too much back then, or now. No one, and I mean no one, thought those 9-4 seasons were enough. Most didn't want to fire Bo, but they did demand progress. And that's really the question:  should Nebraska still see itself as a program that can contend for the Big 10 and national relevance, or accept the new conventional wisdom that we'd be lucky to get back to 9-4 and happy to even be in a game with Wisconsin?

This is actually about leaving the goalposts where they were and comparing expectations.

It really isn't with regards to the bolded.  If you are going to cherry pick, then there's no reason to discuss it.  I see you didn't even mention the 2009 season where we lost the conference championship in the final second of the game.  I see you didn't mention the 2010 season  where we lost the conference championship by a field goal.  You only want to discuss his his final four years.  Why?  Is there something major that happened in his final four years?  Oh that's right, we completely changed conferences.      

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, GSG said:

Ferentz also only had 2 losing seasons. Not 3, going on 4 

And technically it's four, going on five when you count Riley's last year.

I really think that McKenzie Milton was a world-beater. Kid went completely under the radar in terms of untapped potential and with the year 2 playbook at UCF and some good receivers to throw to that team was incredible.

I did not expect for Frost to struggle with well-coached fundamentals and special teams at all. The only thing I can say is that maybe by some miracle he and his coaches cook up a plan to turn these two elements around this season. But if he can't, I have zero faith he can do it next year or in year six.

6 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

It really isn't with regards to the bolded.  If you are going to cherry pick, then there's no reason to discuss it.  I see you didn't even mention the 2009 season where we lost the conference championship in the final second of the game.  I see you didn't mention the 2010 season  where we lost the conference championship by a field goal.  You only want to discuss his his final four years.  Why?  Is there something major that happened in his final four years?  Oh that's right, we completely changed conferences.      

The other thing that changed that final four years was Perlman's behind the scenes meddling