Josh Pate on Can Nebraska football still be fixed

6 minutes ago, GSG said:

Ferentz also only had 2 losing seasons. Not 3, going on 4 

That's fine, but it really isn't the point.  If we continue to change coaches every 3-5 years, we will never win anything of any substance.  When someone objectively looks at programs around the country that were once on or near the top of college football, there are a few programs that really stand out with regards to coaching changes and internal problems.  We are in good company with the likes of Texas, Tennessee, and one could also probably throw Michigan in there.  Sometimes, it makes one wonder if there's more to it than just the coaches they've brought into the program.    

• Plus1 1

Just now, junior4949 said:

That's fine, but it really isn't the point.  If we continue to change coaches every 3-5 years, we will never win anything of any substance.  When someone objectively looks at programs around the country that were once on or near the top of college football, there are a few programs that really stand out with regards to coaching changes and internal problems.  We are in good company with the likes of Texas, Tennessee, and one could also probably throw Michigan in there.  Sometimes, it makes one wonder if there's more to it than just the coaches they've brought into the program.    

So if we go 4-8/5-7 we should just keep Scott and his crew for another year? 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The other thing that changed that final four years was Perlman's behind the scenes meddling 

...and it mattered enough to fire him?

Look at where it got us. We are genuinely a dumpster fire program that loses games in the most embarrassing of fashions now.

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

"We gotta get the next one right."  We've been saying and trying to do that for nearly two decades.  Other than maybe Riley, who have we hired that most didn't feel was right?  I think we have to stick with Frost for at least one more season after this. 

IIRC, the Callahan hire was botched quite a bit.  I thought he was pretty far down the list and Peterson had to eat some crow because he whiffed on a lot of candidates.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Undone said:

It is a good point.

Even though some of his recruits were Callahan's (most notably Suh), his "Peso D" was lights out against the Big 12 spread offenses. There's just no denying it. 

Gosh that defense was fun to watch against some absolutely loaded Big XII offenses.  Matt O'Hanlon(!!!!) against OU is still one of the best individual defense performances I've ever seen and it wasn't even the best defensive performance of the year!

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I agree with everything you said about the Clownahan hire, but he was a coach that led his team to the Super Bowl.   He was an OL coach which is what always puzzled me as to why Zac Taylor got pummeled nearly every play.   

The craziest part is he wasnt just an OL coach, he still is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL and everywhere he goes the oline makes a huge jump. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

It really isn't with regards to the bolded.  If you are going to cherry pick, then there's no reason to discuss it.  I see you didn't even mention the 2009 season where we lost the conference championship in the final second of the game.  I see you didn't mention the 2010 season  where we lost the conference championship by a field goal.  You only want to discuss his his final four years.  Why?  Is there something major that happened in his final four years?  Oh that's right, we completely changed conferences.      

Not cherry picking. Not moving goalposts. I lived through this and presume you did, too. 

If it seems like I'm picking the negative things about Bo Pelini's 7 year run, it's because that was the perception of 98% of Husker fans at the time. I'd say a small majority did not want to see him fired in 2014, but a huge majority expected to see improvement over his 9-4 finishes, big game blowouts and national irrelevance.

RIght? 

So the question is simply were we expecting too much then, and are we expecting too much now?

I could be reading it wrong, but there's a new sentiment that we scale back to 9 - 4 seasons as the ceiling for expectations, and accept that the Big 10 is just too much for the small market prairie folk of Nebraska.  Whereas I don't see any reason that we can't enjoy the up-trending success of the Iowa States, Indianas, Cincinnatis, and Minnesotas of the college football world, as witnessed by programs that enjoy dramatic turnarounds in just a season or two of a new coach. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

RIght? 

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I could be reading it wrong, but there's a new sentiment that we scale back to 9 - 4 seasons as the ceiling for expectations, and accept that the Big 10 is just too much for the small market prairie folk of Nebraska.

But it's not like there are only these two options, right?

1. Nebraska fans still expect to get back to consistent Top 5 - 10 finishes.

2. Nebraska fans "settle" for a 9 win minimum.

I feel like maybe you're leaving out one critical detail: Frost has a .36 winning percentage and is a complete trainwreck. So it isn't "settling for a 9 win minimum"...it's taking baby steps and crawling out of the dumpster fire we're stuck inside of to even get to 9 wins again.

• Plus1 1

The problem is Nebraska.  If Solich wins the NC in 99', does he retire as Nebraska's coach?  I don't think so.  While he probably makes it longer than 03', my money says he's fired by 07'.  If Bo wins a conference championship in either 09' or 10', is he still the coach?  I don't think so.  Up-trending success like the teams you mention only happens after we're the B1G doormat for a while.  Yes, we can absolutely have that.  However once we have that and the coach doesn't take the next step to winning titles, he's fired. 

This leads me back to a question I posed a few days ago:  is this a destination job?  I don't think any of the schools you mentioned are destination jobs.  When we become like them, it would seem we aren't either.  Some people are okay with this.  Up-trending success is nice until you achieve it.  After that, you want more.  If we go this route, the first coach that achieves it will bounce for a better gig once it's achieved.  This path will not yield championships.  Who knows?  Maybe this is the new Nebraska football.  It's going to be very interesting to see what Nebraska and Michigan do at season's end.     

It's two separate topics here:

-Should we have fired Bo or other past coaches?

-What do we do about Frost and his total incompetence?

Two different topics, really. And coming back to the first one, the thing about Bo getting fired is that nobody could have possibly expected that a loser of a football coach like Mike Riley would have been put into his place. When you fire a coach you have got to have a home run hire lined up.

The decision to bring Riley in stands out even more than the decision to fire Solich, IMO. It was stupid on a completely different level, like one that would have even been absurd for some Husker Fan Fiction blog.