"A Chance To Be Real Good" - Scott Frost

Those are his words for this season after the loss to Illinois ... "A Chance To Be Real Good".

What's your take on that?

For me, its delusional.

For him though, what does that mean?  Is he thinking he can go 9-3?  What would be "real good" to him?

If you were to ask me before the season, "real good" was 8-4.

For me, this is the sort of "carrot" dangled out there to produce hope and cover up the obvious "deer in the head light" issue.

If I carry over week one to the first four games, we are 1-3 and get blown out by OU.  If you take in the whole season [from what we have just seen], then winning 4 games is "real good".

What is your view of Scott's "real good" and what's your new view of "real good"?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Those are his words for this season after the loss to Illinois ... "A Chance To Be Real Good".

For me, its delusional.

For him though, what does that mean?  Is he thinking he can go 9-3?  What would be "real good" to him?

For me, this is the sort of "carrot" dangled out there to produce hope and cover up the obvious "deer in the head light" issue.

If I carry over week one to the first four games, we are 1-3 and get blown out by OU.  If you take in the whole season [from what we have just seen], then winning 4 games is "real good".

What is your view of Scott's "real good" and what's your new view of "real good"?

We don't have to be "real good" by any definition to make me happy. 

Trot out a team that doesn't look poorly prepared or outcoached. Have some sort of identity and play solid fundamental football in all 3 phases of the game. Then give us some hope by showing some reasonable progress instead of beating ourselves in year 4, just like the previous 3, in pretty much the same fashion. 

• Fire 1

At this point I have to question what Frost’s definition of “real good” is. He seems to be a bit detached from reality. He is seeing things in practice that never ever materialize in games. It’s been that way since day one.

There is no chance of this team being even remotely good if an even D front throws your coaching staff for a loop. It is that simple.

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

At this point I have to question what Frost’s definition of “real good” is. He seems to be a bit detached from reality. He is seeing things in practice that never ever materialize in games. It’s been that way since day one.

There is no chance of this team being even remotely good if an even D front throws your coaching staff for a loop. It is that simple.

I fully agree with you.  I understand all coaches try to push optimism with the media, but this is the only thing that Frost has consistently done as coach...overpromise and underdeliver. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

hat does that mean?  Is he thinking he can go 9-3?  What would be "real good" to him?

Real good at this point is six wins and a seafood dinner. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

There are lots of examples of teams struggling early and getting it fixed. It's just hard to see it happening when it's the same issues. I'm still hopeful, but no longer optimistic.

Really frustrating mix of coaching and non-coaching issues IMO too - I really don't know that you can blame the coaches for the mistakes by CTB and Tannor. I guarantee they have rules for catching punts, and CTB ignored it to try and make a play. You don't get to hit the QBs in camp, so you can tell him not to all you want, you can't penalize him for doing it in practice. You can't play the games for the kids, and you can't preemptively punish behavior that doesn't happen in practice. I do think there need to be some consequences, and maybe there were. 

But the gameplan is on the coaches. Probably being overblown a bit, I'm sure Lubick is right and most of the plays have adjustments to work against different fronts. We just sucked at making the adjustments, which is also on the coaches. And then some fluky plays - that long catch the DB raked his hands just too early, and I'm still not convinced his heel was in. We hit the QB quite a bit early, and the fact that the one roughing hit was on a terrible throw was a huge break for them. There's a lot of blame to go around, but at least they kept playing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

For me, its delusional.

What do you expect him to say after one game and 11 left?  Do you expect him to say, "well, we proved we suck, we aren't going to win more than two games all year"?  Yeah, that would go well with motivating the team to move on from the loss.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Gonna throw this out too. Illinois rolled out one of the most experienced teams in the NCAA with the most returning "super seniors" of any team. That matters. The "but it was still Illinois" rationale doesn't matter, because we aren't "still Nebraska." We can't just show up and beat lesser teams anymore. We have no psychological advantage that can get us a few extra points like we did over the Old Big 8 teams. In fact I'd say right now we are operating at a psychological deficit.

• Plus1 5
44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you expect him to say after one game and 11 left?  Do you expect him to say, "well, we proved we suck, we aren't going to win more than two games all year"?  Yeah, that would go well with motivating the team to move on from the loss.

It doesn't sound like you understood the post.

What do you think "really good" means in terms of a record?   Next what does "really good" mean to you now?

Scott bloviates this stuff all the time.  I'm asking you what you think he means by it.

3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

It doesn't sound like you understood the post.

What do you think "really good" means in terms of a record?   Next what does "really good" mean to you now?

Scott bloviates this stuff all the time.  I'm asking you what you think he means by it.

And, I'm asking you again, what do you expect him to say?

I think he means that this team can be competitive against a lot of teams on the schedule and win enough to get to a bowl at minimum.  If you think he means winning all the rest and getting into the playoffs, then you're reading too much into it.  He knows his team isn't at that level yet.  But, I think he means they can win enough to show improvement over the last few years.  

AND....getting to my point, even if he's concerned about that, he's still going to say this and he should.

• Plus1 1