"A Chance To Be Real Good" - Scott Frost

5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

It doesn't sound like you understood the post.

What do you think "really good" means in terms of a record?   Next what does "really good" mean to you now?

Scott bloviates this stuff all the time.  I'm asking you what you think he means by it.

This is just one man's interpretation, but I think he saying they gave a chance to be real good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think he is trying to say that there still isn’t complete buy-in. Whether it’s recruiting entitled kids who think they can show up and play vs kids who bust their tail in every facet of practice, conditioning, school, game day. 

If Frost has a job after this year it’s because Alberts sees what I’m attempting to express and is going to trust Frost to get it on track.

One could also argue that it’s year 4 and a culture problem is a coaching problem. I can’t counter that argument at this time and would agree. 

• Plus1 1

I am of the belief that Coach Frost is a fan of the late Norman Vincent Peale (power of positive thinking fame).  In other words, that to express any doubt, regret or weakness is to ultimately doom your effort.  

The only problem is that he would be very wise to listen one particular line from Peale.  "The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism."  

The instruction is faulty, the schemes are faulty, and the results have revealed this.  Commitment to a faulty methodology is not noble, but devoid of wisdom.  Listen to your critics.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, admo said:

This is a good team and I feel like 7 wins is still a real goal.  We know about the mistakes the Huskers made in week 0.  But also, illinois made some plays too (punt coverage on CTB, the fumble scoop and score, the downfield throw and catch producing another score).  It would be great to be 1-0, but the only game that matters is the one in front of you.  I'm ready for the home game and getting back on track.  Enjoying one game at a time.

This is where I'm at.  Just taking it one game at a time for now.  I think there are some things where we didn't show well against Illinois (coaches and players) but I also think some flukey things happened.  This is still a young team for the most part.  We are who we are right now unfortunately.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

There are lots of examples of teams struggling early and getting it fixed. It's just hard to see it happening when it's the same issues. I'm still hopeful, but no longer optimistic.

Really frustrating mix of coaching and non-coaching issues IMO too - I really don't know that you can blame the coaches for the mistakes by CTB and Tannor. I guarantee they have rules for catching punts, and CTB ignored it to try and make a play. You don't get to hit the QBs in camp, so you can tell him not to all you want, you can't penalize him for doing it in practice. You can't play the games for the kids, and you can't preemptively punish behavior that doesn't happen in practice. I do think there need to be some consequences, and maybe there were. 

But the gameplan is on the coaches. Probably being overblown a bit, I'm sure Lubick is right and most of the plays have adjustments to work against different fronts. We just sucked at making the adjustments, which is also on the coaches. And then some fluky plays - that long catch the DB raked his hands just too early, and I'm still not convinced his heel was in. We hit the QB quite a bit early, and the fact that the one roughing hit was on a terrible throw was a huge break for them. There's a lot of blame to go around, but at least they kept playing. 

To some degree, I do believe you can blame the coaches for the mistakes.  While I haven't seen a single practice and am not in the locker room, it appears to me that the players are under a considerable amount of stress/pressure which causes them to do dumb things.  I was the punt returner in both junior high and high school.  If I would have fielded a punt at the one yard line even in junior high, I would have been riding the pine the rest of the game.  These players aren't stupid.  They have played a lot of football in their lives.  We're not talking prop. 48 players with a second grade reading level like back in the day.  A lot of these mistakes remind me of my 16 year old daughter driving in a Walmart parking lot.  The louder I scream and the more I yell when she nearly hits someone, the more she clams up and reminds me of a five year old at the county fair driving a bumper car.  She gets rattled and makes one big mistake after another.  Dads shouldn't teach daughters how to drive.   

I watched a big chunk of the game last night, and I agree with the posters who said we looked extremely tight out there.  The coaches jobs are not only to teach them but to also keep them loose and relaxed.  I didn't see a loose and relaxed team out there.  Their play reminded me an awful lot of a Bo coached team playing the likes of Wisconsin in the 2012 B1G Championship game and many other Bo coached big games.  When people say the team isn't buying into what Frost is selling, I don't agree.  I think they are so bought into the program that they're feeling as much if not more pressure than he does to win.      

7 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Those are his words for this season after the loss to Illinois ... "A Chance To Be Real Good".

What's your take on that?

For me, its delusional.

For him though, what does that mean?  Is he thinking he can go 9-3?  What would be "real good" to him?

If you were to ask me before the season, "real good" was 8-4.

For me, this is the sort of "carrot" dangled out there to produce hope and cover up the obvious "deer in the head light" issue.

If I carry over week one to the first four games, we are 1-3 and get blown out by OU.  If you take in the whole season [from what we have just seen], then winning 4 games is "real good".

What is your view of Scott's "real good" and what's your new view of "real good"?

I dont know what he is supposed to say, but I do know 90% of what he does say he shouldnt.

Frost has put a target on himself by basically being an arrogant A-hole and acting like he is this great coach.

Some programs are just snake bitten, but I feel like you can look at more than half of his losses and say "If he didnt do this or that, we would have won" that isnt the sign of an unlucky coach, its the sign of a bad coach who doesnt know how to win.

For the first 3 years he blamed the players/the culture. Now it is all his own guys who keep making stupid mistake after stupid mistake.

I have zero faith in Scott's ability to make smart decisions in-game. 

So, to answer your question-- I am at the point now, I almost just dont care. We arent going to win meaningful games with him as coach. I dont know what coach wants to come here and honestly how long it will take them to build a team that can at least compete in the west. 

I have basically lost faith in Nebraska Football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, I'm asking you again, what do you expect him to say?

I think he means that this team can be competitive against a lot of teams on the schedule and win enough to get to a bowl at minimum.  If you think he means winning all the rest and getting into the playoffs, then you're reading too much into it.  He knows his team isn't at that level yet.  But, I think he means they can win enough to show improvement over the last few years.  

AND....getting to my point, even if he's concerned about that, he's still going to say this and he should.

Excellent stuff.  Thanks for the answer.

I think it's time for Scott to come clean and not bloviate.  Let me answer your question to me in this way ... your view is that He is "going to say this and he should".  Okay, I would just him rather not say anything to us.  He can blow hot smoke up those kids butts all he likes in practice.  Using your words, "He should".  Fine.  But for the fan/media, I don't think he needs to be telling me this.  That is all a bunch of BS at this point.

The bigger issue I would have is if getting to a bowl is "really good", then why even put up with it.  We all have to put our view into this ... so here are my thoughts:

For me, going into the season, for this team and where it has been ... "really good" would 9-3.  "Good" would be 8-4 or 7-5.  "Okay/decent/disappointment" would be 6-6 or 5-7.  Anything below that is a "please can we just move on".  So, now that we lost the first game, his "really good", to me, spins my head with the bloviation.  If it means what you said, then okay.  But, what a view of "really good" you have.  I don't mean to sound condescending ... but wow to if this is our new standard for wins and what "really good" is.  But, I guess that it makes sense as to why I'm asked to stop being a fan [it all starts to make more sense] by some folks on the board. 

53 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont know what he is supposed to say, but I do know 90% of what he does say he shouldnt.

Frost has put a target on himself by basically being an arrogant A-hole and acting like he is this great coach.

Some programs are just snake bitten, but I feel like you can look at more than half of his losses and say "If he didnt do this or that, we would have won" that isnt the sign of an unlucky coach, its the sign of a bad coach who doesnt know how to win.

For the first 3 years he blamed the players/the culture. Now it is all his own guys who keep making stupid mistake after stupid mistake.

I have zero faith in Scott's ability to make smart decisions in-game. 

So, to answer your question-- I am at the point now, I almost just dont care. We arent going to win meaningful games with him as coach. I dont know what coach wants to come here and honestly how long it will take them to build a team that can at least compete in the west. 

I have basically lost faith in Nebraska Football. 

Man, I really think you nailed it there.  You put it into better words for me.  I suppose you will be asked to stop being a fan as well and to leave Huskerboard.  I guess some are "true fans" and the rest of us think this "really good" stuff isn't enticing and satisfying.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

This is where I'm at.  Just taking it one game at a time for now.  I think there are some things where we didn't show well against Illinois (coaches and players) but I also think some flukey things happened.  This is still a young team for the most part.  We are who we are right now unfortunately.

I'd enjoy hearing what "flukey thing" happened.  It was all like watching the Starwars trilogy again for me.  I've seen this 20 times.  To me, it was the opposite of "flukey things" ... it's been the same dance for a while.

Perhaps another way to look at this as well is what percentage of a "chance" is there to be "really good".  

For me, I'm around a 2% chance that we can be "really good" ... and that would be 9-3.  That's why it's really silly to say that "we have a chance to be really good".  It just makes you sound like an idiot.  At least, to me it does.