"A Chance To Be Real Good" - Scott Frost

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'd enjoy hearing what "flukey thing" happened.  It was all like watching the Starwars trilogy again for me.  I've seen this 20 times.  To me, it was the opposite of "flukey things" ... it's been the same dance for a while.

Anything is possible but I don't think you'd see CTB make that same mistake again.  Culp the Big Ten kicker of the year last year missing 2 extra points.  Regardless I know trust me that these are the kinds of things that seem to go along with SF's teams.  Not lost on me at all.

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Anything is possible but I don't think you'd see CTB make that same mistake again.  Culp the Big Ten kicker of the year last year missing 2 extra points.  Regardless I know trust me that these are the kinds of things that seem to go along with SF's teams.  Not lost on me at all.

Okay, I can see why one could look at those as "flukey things".  I get it.  I took them as the typical things that reoccur ... that even the kids you think you can depend upon do the stupid things that you don't expect.  What I also take it as is there are enough holes in the boat that even if you patch up a few things and think you got it fixed to move to the bigger problems ... you keep having to go back for small repairs of places you would have thought would never be issues.

Thanks for your reply.

• Fire 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Perhaps another way to look at this as well is what percentage of a "chance" is there to be "really good".  

For me, I'm around a 2% chance that we can be "really good" ... and that would be 9-3.  That's why it's really silly to say that "we have a chance to be really good".  It just makes you sound like an idiot.  At least, to me it does.

You’re putting way too much effort into this. “Really good” is highly subjective and the meaning of that is going differ, possibly greatly, from person to person.

I would posit that at this point “really good” could be as remedial as not totally sucking and actually appearing to grasp some of the fundamentals of football. It’s coach speak, he’s not bloviating or really trying to tell us anything. And since he can’t say they are bad or prone to stupid mistakes or dozens of other things, this is what you get.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Looking at our schedule I'm not seeing enough "wins" there to say we could be "really good." Of course we could improve greatly somehow, but I just can't see that right now. I'm saying we're going 3-9 and I'm not super confident in saying that either. 

And I think here is where everyone is stuck.  Year 4 and no one saw this coming.  It's not just the loss at Illinois, but the way we lost.  Maybe the best gamers get the start moving forward. Maybe we actually commit to the run. Make average decisions.  Looking at the schedule,  Fordham, then possibly Purdue and Buffalo? Who else?  

Never thought that 3-9 would be a realistic probability......

• Plus1 2

I’m not confident but realistically we just have to play the games.  A miracle win at OU would suddenly create a fever pitch. The game Frost didn’t want may now be the only way to save his job.  It’s on them to improve and play at a high level. The defense was not bad. Offense hopefully just was off. I’m not confident but will eat crow if they turn into a good team. Will this loss motivate them or have them throw in the towel? Time will tell.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Looking at our schedule I'm not seeing enough "wins" there to say we could be "really good." Of course we could improve greatly somehow, but I just can't see that right now. I'm saying we're going 3-9 and I'm not super confident in saying that either. 

I’m going to state as a matter of fact that “really good” left the building 3 days ago. Illinois with a first year staff vs not very good.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’m not confident but realistically we just have to play the games.  A miracle win at OU would suddenly create a fever pitch. The game Frost didn’t want may now be the only way to save his job.  It’s on them to improve and play at a high level. The defense was not bad. Offense hopefully just was off. I’m not confident but will eat crow if they turn into a good team. Will this loss motivate them or have them throw in the towel? Time will tell.  

I'll be right there with you.  Admit I was wrong and there's a reason I am not paid millions to coach and he is....I hope he can turn it around.  I like Frost as a person.  I wish him luck if this doesn't work out.  Personally, I'd love to be wrong and he's here until he wants to leave and we are winning the West, competing for the B1G and bowling on the regular.

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you expect him to say after one game and 11 left?  Do you expect him to say, "well, we proved we suck, we aren't going to win more than two games all year"?  Yeah, that would go well with motivating the team to move on from the loss.

Honest evaluation would be a welcomed trait at this point by Frost 

There is no evidence over the past 3 years that his team's improve as the season goes on...basically every year has shown what we see in game 1 as problems do not resolve positively over the course of a season

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Okay, I can see why one could look at those as "flukey things".  I get it.  I took them as the typical things that reoccur ... that even the kids you think you can depend upon do the stupid things that you don't expect.  What I also take it as is there are enough holes in the boat that even if you patch up a few things and think you got it fixed to move to the bigger problems ... you keep having to go back for small repairs of places you would have thought would never be issues.

Thanks for your reply.

I would agree with your assessment.  A fluke is a rare occurrence.  However, these "rare" occurrences happen each and every game with a different player or unit involved.  This to me is an established pattern that is linkable to the poor instruction that takes place in game week preparation.  The trend of these occurrences is now undeniable.  

• Thanks 3

Frost needs to be canned now. Tonight, tomorrow, whenever…but soon. He may be the most stupid HC of all time. Smart in the way he duped us for millions, stupid in the way he’s a rotten coach. I guess maybe we’re the fools… again.  Give him what he wants for winning the stupid game-full buyout and release to your alternative lifestyle. You won!  Now go buy your own coke/weed/or whatever trips your trigger. 

promote Lubick. Can’t be worse, most likely will be much better.  

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Frost needs to be canned now. Tonight, tomorrow, whenever…but soon. He may be the most stupid HC of all time. Smart in the way he duped us for millions, stupid in the way he’s a rotten coach. I guess maybe we’re the fools… again.  Give him what he wants for winning the stupid game-full buyout and release to your alternative lifestyle. You won!  Now go buy your own coke/weed/or whatever trips your trigger. 

promote Lubick. Can’t be worse, most likely will be much better.  

lets-stay-cool-people-ed-harris.gif