"A Chance To Be Real Good" - Scott Frost

38 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This morning I had what some alcoholcs call a "moment of clarity", and realized that Bill Callahan and Mike Riley are both better head coaches than Scott Frost, and got a literal shiver down my spine. 

After reading that, I am not sure which stage I am in: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, or Depression. Probably a combo of all of them as I grieve the program. :funnyhahah

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bledred said:

The problem on our schedule is never the cup-cakes.  They tell us nothing and are basically just two steps closer to a bowl game and nothing more.  It is the Illinois, Purdue, Minn, Iowa and Northwestern games that are must wins which we always find a way to lose more than half of them. 

We have looked clunky in plenty of games. I am talking a 40+ pts for us and under 10 for the opponent type of win the next two weeks with clean play. Show actual improvement instead of boneheaded mistakes etc and you win 48-28 type of crap. 

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

Just move on to acceptance and go dead inside like the rest of us. It's easier. 

Im wondering how that will affect the crowd on Saturday.

It's Fordham at 11:00 am. And like me, many fans who had a glimmer of hope that this thing would get turned around or at least hints of progress being made- had that hope crushed in almost epic fashion by lowly Illinois and first year coach Brent "Belly" Bielma. How will these fans react?

For me until proved otherwise that this isnt just more of the same- a golf clap and really really low expectations. The big problem this week is no beer to at least cushion the blow and provide a distraction. 

I will be a little closer to the field this game- so at least maybe I can help our return guys by letting them know they are lined up too deep or too shallow. Since none of the coaches seem to be on that task. :D

22 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Gonna throw this out too. Illinois rolled out one of the most experienced teams in the NCAA with the most returning "super seniors" of any team. That matters. The "but it was still Illinois" rationale doesn't matter, because we aren't "still Nebraska." We can't just show up and beat lesser teams anymore. We have no psychological advantage that can get us a few extra points like we did over the Old Big 8 teams. In fact I'd say right now we are operating at a psychological deficit.

Which is why I've said time and again that we need to look at our Sports Psychology department, as we've been operating at a psychological deficit since the 00s when Dr. Stark left. It's one of the things no one wants to discus or talk about, but it's a cornerstone for programs that are champion outfits--Ohio State, 'Bama, Clemson, Nebraska in the 90s...they all have successful Sports Psychology departments for their football programs and make it a priority. 

And no, success with this group with other sports (e.g. Volleyball) doesn't equate to assumed success with Football.

• Plus1 2

I agree that Illinois was probably a better team than we had thought they were coming into that one just based on experience alone. Bielema's relative quality as a coach possibly possibly washed out the negative of it being a new staff.

The problem was, even if they were significantly better than we thought, I highly doubt that they're better than, let's say, Minnesota. The reason losing this one was such a big deal wasn't because it was the first game of the year, it was because the B1G West has quietly been getting better and better, and there was a stat floating around that according to one preseason metric we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the country.

So, the tough schedule combined with losing one of the games that we pretty much had to win in order to feel good about going even just 6-6...that's making it look pretty damn bleak.

• Plus1 1

Been off the board for a couple weeks (a) because I'm trying to move across the country for work and (b) was pissed about the loss, but I was able to get some time to put together a recap of the game looking at the offense and the defense, if anyone is interested. Looked at some of the key stats, why we might have used nickel so much, Adrian's play and the gameplan controversy and broke down one cool concept each from the offense and the defense. https://black41flashreverse.substack.com/p/illinois-recap-fumbled-opportunity

• Plus1 4
48 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree that Illinois was probably a better team than we had thought they were coming into that one just based on experience alone. Bielema's relative quality as a coach possibly possibly washed out the negative of it being a new staff.

The problem was, even if they were significantly better than we thought, I highly doubt that they're better than, let's say, Minnesota. The reason losing this one was such a big deal wasn't because it was the first game of the year, it was because the B1G West has quietly been getting better and better, and there was a stat floating around that according to one preseason metric we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the country.

So, the tough schedule combined with losing one of the games that we pretty much had to win in order to feel good about going even just 6-6...that's making it look pretty damn bleak.

Illinois is not a better team than we thought. It’s that we are a worse team than we thought. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

We have to give Bert some credit. He outcoached us. We have better recruiting classes (therefore better athletes), more consistency in coaching tenure, better facilities, better just about everything. Bert ran a simple yet effective offense, physical defense, and managed the clock better than Frost could ever dream of. 

I know the season is still young, but I see absolutely nothing positive about last week's performance. The only "positives" I hear are drowned out by: "Not good enough to beat Week 0 Illinois with a brand new coaching staff."

Oh, the defense looked much more physical! They held the opposing team to only 21 points and finally got some pressure!

Not good enough to beat Week 0 Illinois with a brand new coaching staff.

Minimized penalties on the offense!

Only one high snap!

The team didn't quit!

I can't get excited for any game the rest of this year! I hope I'm wrong. I hope I eat crow, but I just don't see any room for optimism right now. The problem is, like the addict we all are, I will be there week in and week out to cheer the team on. Nebraska should look into endorsement deals with heartburn medication. I am no gastroenterologist, but I feel like there is nothing more heartburn-inducing than Nebraska football.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This morning I had what some alcoholcs call a "moment of clarity", and realized that Bill Callahan and Mike Riley are both better head coaches than Scott Frost, and got a literal shiver down my spine. 

And it will remain that way until Scott has his moment of clarity.  If BC had changed his DC, we might be in a very different situation right now - not saying he would still be our coach still, but he probably would have lasted few  more years.  His offense was good and he had good recruits.  The dominos would have fallen differently once he did move on.  Perhaps no Bo and we end up with a better coach than Bo.  All speculative.   Frost head coaching winning % is 52%   Mike Riley college head coaching % is 53% (112-99)

Frost: 

2021  0-1
2020 Nebraska Season 3-5  
2019 Nebraska Season 5-7
2018 Nebraska Season 4-8
2017 UCF Season 12-0
2016 UCF Season 6-7