"A Chance To Be Real Good" - Scott Frost

45 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Been off the board for a couple weeks (a) because I'm trying to move across the country for work and (b) was pissed about the loss, but I was able to get some time to put together a recap of the game looking at the offense and the defense, if anyone is interested. Looked at some of the key stats, why we might have used nickel so much, Adrian's play and the gameplan controversy and broke down one cool concept each from the offense and the defense. https://black41flashreverse.substack.com/p/illinois-recap-fumbled-opportunity

Where ya headed? 

51 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Illinois is not a better team than we thought. It’s that we are a worse team than we thought. 

What stings for me isn't the loss, it's how it happened.  If you take the safety away and the scoop and score along with giving us the easy TD pass in the endszone, those three plays make this a fairly easy win.

That's frustrating.  Those three plays happened because of bad things WE did.  Not anything that the other team did.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What stings for me isn't the loss, it's how it happened.  If you take the safety away and the scoop and score along with giving us the easy TD pass in the endszone, those three plays make this a fairly easy win.

That's frustrating.  Those three plays happened because of bad things WE did.  Not anything that the other team did.

And it’s still Illinois.  Even with those those things cleaned up, we are at the same level as Illinois.  Bottom of the West.

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

it's been this way for the past 3-4 years under Frost.  just frustrating and pitiful.  Frost needs some new coaches, that's the only way things will improve.

players play like they have been coached, it's true, just look at our play.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bolded is why there is little to no hope that this team will get better. If Frost can't fix this s*** in the three years he's been here, what makes people think he'll fix it this season in some sort of expedient fashion?

The team is beating itself is a record that's been on repeat for what is our fourth year now. That's why as soon as Nebraska is no longer bowl eligible (probably before Halloween at the current rate), Frost needs to be gone and a search needs to happen. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, lo country said:

It would also explain why the back up went 12-16 and 3 TD's. We had not prepared for him at all.  Once he came in, we had no plan on defense at all.  Simply couldn't adjust.

Maybe just ask Fordham to put their QB in a green jersey and we promise not to take him to the ground- in return they promise to keep him in?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Been off the board for a couple weeks (a) because I'm trying to move across the country for work and (b) was pissed about the loss, but I was able to get some time to put together a recap of the game looking at the offense and the defense, if anyone is interested. Looked at some of the key stats, why we might have used nickel so much, Adrian's play and the gameplan controversy and broke down one cool concept each from the offense and the defense. https://black41flashreverse.substack.com/p/illinois-recap-fumbled-opportunity

Appreciate this post. I know it wasn't all bad from everyone against Illinois, but a loss does slant the microscope. 

We'll be very interesting to see what happens against Fordham, and more importantly, Buffalo. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're telling me you would feel the same way with an 8 point win compared to an 8 point loss?

Not me.

If we would have somehow scored and got the two point conversion to send the game into overtime last Saturday, then won by a touchdown, I would feel maybe 1% better than I do right now, personally.