Corporations: the good, the bad, and the ugly

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't see a good thread to put this in, so I created a new one.

I may have missed it reading through the thread, but she didn’t give the financials, aside for one example, to prove her theory.  

This may well be the case, and it’s been known that big box stores have not been good for small local business.  Just wish she would provide the financials. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I may have missed it reading through the thread, but she didn’t give the financials, aside for one example, to prove her theory.  

This may well be the case, and it’s been known that big box stores have not been good for small local business.  Just wish she would provide the financials. 

Agree. Might be hard to dig into the details on twitter, but link to an article that lays out the financials would be more convincing.

There is a link in the thread to an article about the big chains trying to reduce paying the property taxes, which was the argument the chains used for why they were good for these towns to begin with:

https://ilsr.org/dark-store-tax-tactic-makes-big-box-stores-terrible-deal-for-cities/

This article describes how Walmart is appealing to be taxed as a vacant building:

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/walmart-files-second-appeal-on-city-property-tax/

The tax abatement appeal filed by the mega superstore chain has become standard operating procedure by Wal-Mart Real Estate Business Trust, which filed appeals for 2017 in at least eight Maine communities where it operates, using the “dark store” theory of assessment. That theory argues big-box retail superstores should be assessed as if they were vacant because of their specialty design, which leaves the properties at a low worth for subsequent buyers.

23 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't see a good thread to put this in, so I created a new one.

I remember when Walmart came to Lexington.  They had a thriving down town and many locally owned businesses.  Within a few years, many of those had closed.  

I'm not a fan of Walmart for many reasons.  When I can, I try to shop somewhere other than big box stores.

• Plus1 1

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...