Corporations: the good, the bad, and the ugly

56 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This could go in a number of threads, but I'll put it here. Remember how Texas had that big snowstorm a year ago? Well, they've had 11 months to winterize to prevent something like that from happening again. Anywho...

I'm pretty sure those companies would say there's a penalty for not producing products they could sell.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure those companies would say there's a penalty for not producing products they could sell.

I'm sure they would. And I'm sure they've run the numbers and make a greater profit by not winterizing. Meanwhile Texas infrastructure continues to be susceptible to freezing conditions going on at least 3 decades now.

Amazon's business vision is to sell every product in the world. Seriously.

It's so irresistibly easy to use Amazon, but I've gotten pretty good at resisting. The past two Christmases I made a point to shop the 100% small business downtown of our 50,000 population city. I found gifts I hadn't even thought about, met some nice people, had a good lunch. Most of the small business had survived COVID, and the few that didn't were on the margins well before that. The two local coffee houses were doing fine. Only the Starbucks had closed, the only national franchise on the block. 

It's not like I never go to Target or The Home Depot. Sometimes they come in handy. But it's easy and not necessarily more expensive to shop the local business. Feels good, too. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This could go in a number of threads, but I'll put it here. Remember how Texas had that big snowstorm a year ago? Well, they've had 11 months to winterize to prevent something like that from happening again. Anywho...

What the heck man? That's awful to hear that :facepalm:

And yes I do remember.

52 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's so irresistibly easy to use Amazon, but I've gotten pretty good at resisting. The past two Christmases I made a point to shop the 100% small business downtown of our 50,000 population city. I found gifts I hadn't even thought about, met some nice people, had a good lunch. Most of the small business had survived COVID, and the few that didn't were on the margins well before that. The two local coffee houses were doing fine. Only the Starbucks had closed, the only national franchise on the block. 

It's not like I never go to Target or The Home Depot. Sometimes they come in handy. But it's easy and not necessarily more expensive to shop the local business. Feels good, too. 

Wait...do you write screenplays for Hallmark Christmas movies...this is literally the storyline of 50% of those movies.  Learning the true meaning of Christmas means shopping local and the old hardware store that has "been at that spot for almost 60 years...which is also how long Phil and Mary Christmas have been married...so it isn't about getting a better deal at BigBox Store...it is about making this little shop, that has helped so many people here in Mistletoe Town keep those houses looking great...what did you say...this f#&%ing hammer costs 45 dollars?  f#&% off, I am going to the BigBox Store" 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I like to shop as much as possible locally.  It supports local businesses and I like to actually see what I'm buying.

However, this year, planning two weddings, dealing with elderly parents, having COVID...etc. made it shopping online mostly.  

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Wait...do you write screenplays for Hallmark Christmas movies...this is literally the storyline of 50% of those movies.  Learning the true meaning of Christmas means shopping local and the old hardware store that has "been at that spot for almost 60 years...which is also how long Phil and Mary Christmas have been married...so it isn't about getting a better deal at BigBox Store...it is about making this little shop, that has helped so many people here in Mistletoe Town keep those houses looking great...what did you say...this f#&%ing hammer costs 45 dollars?  f#&% off, I am going to the BigBox Store" 

Valid points. But I don't have a light-skinned Black man for a best friend, nor do I make my living selling homemade candles. 

• Haha 4
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Valid points. But I don't have a light-skinned Black man for a best friend, nor do I make my living selling homemade candles. 

But, the homeless man that saved your life and that you took in to your home and helping turn his life around.....appreciates those nice smelling candles.

• Haha 2
35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hallmark diversity!  

And who knew the candle making business got you a home like this

image.png.7f69fe3823b134ed5ecfdcd14b7b403d.png

In fairness, that's mom and dad's home. They were the ones who started the homemade candle business. But they're in danger of losing the house and the business unless their Gen Z daughter moves home from the big city and shows them how to use the internets. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In fairness, that's mom and dad's home. They were the ones who started the homemade candle business. But they're in danger of losing the house and the business unless their Gen Z daughter moves home from the big city and shows them how to use the internets. 

She's plucky with just a hint of sass. And she runs into her high school sweetheart at the local cafe, who just happens to own a marketing firm in need of a new client.

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

She's plucky with just a hint of sass. And she runs into her high school sweetheart at the local cafe, who just happens to own a marketing firm in need of a new client.

Oh my god!  YES!

And that guy is only in town for the holidays and hates being back home because he hates Xmas and can't wait to get back to the "city"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

But I'll bet he might stay if the right person stole his heart...  :wub:

And there is always the two scenes where the guy is on the phone doing work and not caring about Xmas and then the other scene where he tells his boss he has to hang up now because of something Xmas related. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And there is always the two scenes where the guy is on the phone doing work and not caring about Xmas and then the other scene where he tells his boss he has to hang up now because of something Xmas related. 

We need to write this for Hallmark channel. My friend would watch the heck out of this show.