Corporations: the good, the bad, and the ugly

s#!tty that he got zero compensation, but as someone who works at a major corporation and is around patents enough most corporations have you sign your creative rights away when they hire you. Any work you do on the job or on company property can be claimed by them with little to no compensation, and they would receive all patent rights. But typically they do give you a one time bonus for a patent you work on.

Always make sure you keep your personal work away from company computers, phones, etc.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

s#!tty that he got zero compensation, but as someone who works at a major corporation and is around patents enough most corporations have you sign your creative rights away when they hire you. Any work you do on the job or on company property can be claimed by them with little to no compensation, and they would receive all patent rights. But typically they do give you a one time bonus for a patent you work on.

Always make sure you keep your personal work away from company computers, phones, etc.

If it’s work you did on your own time and got a patent, you should get be all benefits from it. If your work was on company time with company resources, patent is theirs…as it should be. 

As good as place as any to put this. Love it. The video was cut, so I added the his last comments in text.

“Some of Gu's defenders say it's racist to ask if she's still an American citizen and she herself won't say. Why is that racist? Why was it racist to think that COVID might have originated from a lab leak as opposed to from eating bats -- besides the fact that the idea that COVID came from eating gross weird food seems way more racist and the idea that it came from a high-tech lab?"

"Besides that, the definition of ‘woke’ was supposed to be being alert to injustice in society. But because the ‘woke’ now see race first and everything else never, fear of being accused of racism has given a free pass on human rights abuses to China and any other places that are perceived as non-White. If China was in Europe, would they get away with having concentration camps without more of an outcry from America?… In 2020, NBA players wore jerseys that said ‘Freedom,’ ‘Speak Up,’ and ‘Justice,’ but I guess those things only matter for home games. Sorry, Uyghurs. Someone has to tell me where we got this rule that you can't criticize China because I suspect we got it from China. Because after all, it's where we get everything else," 

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If it’s work you did on your own time and got a patent, you should get be all benefits from it. If your work was on company time with company resources, patent is theirs…as it should be. 

Agreed, but I think they can make a case if you use company equipment/property and signed an agreement when hired that you forfeited your rights to IT/patents assuming it's relevant to the company's business.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Pretty sure that this person developed his invention prior to joining Costco and presented it to them after joining the company 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, ZRod said:

Agreed, but I think they can make a case if you use company equipment/property and signed an agreement when hired that you forfeited your rights to IT/patents assuming it's relevant to the company's business.

Your take on this is spot on. I actually am listed as the inventor on a patent I got while employed by a company. I’m not upset at all that they hold the patent, it was part of my job. But my understanding is, I would have an uphill battle if it had been something related to my employment even if I did all the work on my own time.

I got a couple cool plaques (that I had to purchase). At the time, I asked my boss what do I get for the patent. His response “continued employment”. He was a douche :lol:

• 5 months later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...