*** Official Fordham Game Thread ***

Mavric

43 minutes ago, Bledred said:

I believe a mentally fragile team is a reflection of the coaching staff and the team's confidence in their system they implement more so than anything else.  I was watching a post-game interview of the new Alabama QB and what he talked about was his (and his team's) total confidence in their game plan and their preparation for the game and that they knew they would be successful and would be victorious no matter what. 

Adrian said the same thing yesterday.

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, knapplc said:

Samari Toure is the most as-advertised player in the Frost Era.

Yes he is, very smooth. Spring game showed he was Martinez go to target. 

We need more of these. Guys coached by other coaching staffs- so they bring that prior development with them. 

Montana (where Toure transferred from)  beat a ranked Washington team yesterday. Wonder if they have anyone else willing to transfer?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

Well, while the ball had to have hit the ground, we don't see it hit the ground because that dude is standing in the way.  All we see is the ball disappear behind the guy and they we see it reappear and going up again, since it hit the ground.  

But we don't actually see it hit the ground.

The spirit of the replay was used correctly to add 1 second.  The letter of the law according to replay was not used correctly.  

I agree with the call but replay never showed us what the ref actually needed to see.  

Could have sworn it hit a railing, and when replayed over and over and over it was virtually impossible to question the call itself, just the maddening fact that it reversed a win against Texas. 

It was news to some, as the announcers pointed out, that the play isn't dead when the ball crosses the out of bounds plain, but when it hits something out of bounds. Colt McCoy himself might not have understood this when he lofted the throw-away.  I remember zero debate that the clock stopped when the ball visibly hit something, just that the refs wouldn't have reviewed the play if it was Nebraska --- which isn't true, either.  

• Thanks 1

I think 'confidence' is an incredibly difficult variable to try and evaluate as an outsider, particularly an individual player's belief or confidence in doing what they want to do.

That said, I do think there's plenty of evidence to suggest Nebraska is a mentally weak/mentally inconsistent football team. Whether or not that is a direct result of confidence... I don't know. Based on the way they play, it seems like the team knows what they want or need to do. I don't see players out there who seem lost/confused. It's just when they're in a position to make a play, they struggle to do it consistently. I don't know what the root cause of that is.

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think 'confidence' is an incredibly difficult variable to try and evaluate as an outsider, particularly an individual player's belief or confidence in doing what they want to do.

That said, I do think there's plenty of evidence to suggest Nebraska is a mentally weak/mentally inconsistent football team. Whether or not that is a direct result of confidence... I don't know. Based on the way they play, it seems like the team knows what they want or need to do. I don't see players out there who seem lost/confused. It's just when they're in a position to make a play, they struggle to do it consistently. I don't know what the root cause of that is.

Honestly, going back to Pelini, there was always that one gut punch to Nebraska that changed the complete tempo of the game.  Whether on O or D.  You could just feel the air go out of the team, fans at the game and at home.  I know when I saw "it", I thought there goes the game.  Sadly, I am sure the players feel it too.  Just waiting for the other shoe to fall.  The further into the game it goes, the tighter they get trying to avoid that gut punch.  Trying  so hard not to, they do.  And I think the only way to cure that is to have a few more games like yesterday.  Winning is obvious, but 2 penalties, win the TO battle, etc....Even if they lose, but don't cause the loss by their own actions, it starts to build up some mental capital.  

As mentioned above, trusting the coaches and game plan means a lot.  Goes a long way into playing "loose" and trusting the training.  IMHO, going 13-21, there are probably some concerns (conscious or subconscious) that lead to players questioning the scheme.  Building on yesterday with scheme can go a long way into getting that buy in.  Year ago went to a general instructor certification.  One of the things they stressed was whatever block you are instructing, you need to explain to the students your bona fides (Subject Matter Expert "SME") that make you the one to teach the particular block (s) of instruction.  I think that might be some issues with our staff in trusting the process.  The what have you done for me lately......And some of the staff have not really shown do be SME in their block of instruction....

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This isn’t true and it looks bush league every time a Husker fan whines it.

Call it whatever you like, doesn't change the fact.

20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This isn’t true and it looks bush league every time a Husker fan whines it.

Call it whatever you like, doesn't change the fact.

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Yeah I definitely think confidence is an issue and sadly enough I think it largely radiates from the head guy.  Gonna be an interesting next 2 seasons.  Largely for SF.

29 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I definitely think confidence is an issue and sadly enough I think it largely radiates from the head guy.  Gonna be an interesting next 2 seasons.  Largely for SF.

If true, the bolded would be bizarre given his football acumen and overall internal confidence as a person/player.

Not saying you're wrong, but on paper, SF seems like the kind of guy that would just exude those characteristics and that his players would match it. I'm generally a firm believer that players are a reflection of their head coaches, too. Didn't think we'd really be at this point, but I don't think many did either.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If true, the bolded would be bizarre given his football acumen and overall internal confidence as a person/player.

Not saying you're wrong, but on paper, SF seems like the kind of guy that would just exude those characteristics and that his players would match it. I'm generally a firm believer that players are a reflection of their head coaches, too. Didn't think we'd really be at this point, but I don't think many did either.

His body language, quotes, the Oklahoma scheduling debacle have all spoke volumes to me.  Disappointed to say the least.  I'm all for a good comeback story however.  I think Frost honestly needs a new QB and some better offensive line play.  Things could be entirely different.

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

His body language, quotes, the Oklahoma scheduling debacle have all spoke volumes to me.  Disappointed to say the least.  I'm all for a good comeback story however.  I think Frost honestly needs a new QB and some better offensive line play.  Things could be entirely different.

I'm still surprised that so many fans think Adrian is so bad.  Most QBs is college would have been as bad or worse against Illinois given the horrible line play and complete lack of ground game.  He isn't a world beater but he isnt the root of our problems.

• Plus1 3