Fordham Game Highlights

Mavric

On 9/4/2021 at 2:46 PM, Mavric said:

That relationship is hard if you're not doing it a lot.

But it seems like every time we've run it he's been REALLY wide.  So I'm assuming that's what they're wanting.  Might give him an extra bit to adjust to catch the pitch if it's a bit off.

I like the spacing on the play posted above.  It gets Toure further away from any defender that has a chance at Martinez.  However, I remember one where Toure was basically at the sidelines.  I have to assume that is wider than they want.  It ends up that the sideline is basically another defender and limits any move Toure can make.

Martinez is running these very well.  He's making the defender commit to him and making good pitches.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember them running this to the left.  I wonder if Martinez isn't as good pitching it with his left hand.

• Plus1 1

When I first saw Toure motioning deep as a second back against Illinois I'll admit that I was like "don't give us any of this Bill Callahan, do-nothing, pre-snap motion crap."

But credit to Frost & Lubick for finding the strengths of their skill players and then drawing up plays to make use of them.

There's so many ways to leverage that set; you could have both Toure and Stepp run mirrored flat routes off to both sides to pull OLBs outside and then run Adrian inside...and the list goes on and on.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

When I first saw Toure motioning deep as a second back against Illinois I'll admit that I was like "don't give us any of this Bill Callahan, do-nothing, pre-snap motion crap."

But credit to Frost & Lubick for finding the strengths of their skill players and then drawing up plays to make use of them.

There's so many ways to leverage that set; you could have both Toure and Stepp run mirrored flat routes off to both sides to pull OLBs outside and then run Adrian inside...and the list goes on and on.

Part of me just misses Wan'Dale when I see it.. Toure did a good job, and it works well with him. But there were a couple plays where a shiftier, more traditional slot guy might have broken one. It's nice to see in the offense and Toure does well with it, but man would it be fun to see Wan'Dale in that role. Hoping Will Nixon or Alante Brown can do some of that down the road.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Part of me just misses Wan'Dale when I see it.. Toure did a good job, and it works well with him. But there were a couple plays where a shiftier, more traditional slot guy might have broken one. It's nice to see in the offense and Toure does well with it, but man would it be fun to see Wan'Dale in that role. Hoping Will Nixon or Alante Brown can do some of that down the road.

Totally agree.

Seeing Toure out there finding space on pass plays and even being in there in the backfield on these types of plays makes me miss having Wan'Dale all the more.

Hate to be so negative and think of the worst when there are 10 more games to be played...but losing Wan'Dale will just be another brick in the wall if we go 5-7 again this year.

-Losing Wan'Dale

-Terrible special teams

-The constant inopportune penalties that helped us lose the Illinois game

It just sucks. You wait for Husker football all year and then...we'll see what happens I guess.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which, to be a great option QB, it's nice to be able to run it both ways.  Toure goes in motion.  Right at the snap and when he's behind the RB, he stops, changes direction and run it to the left.  Just another wrinkle.  

They can do that. Allen has lined up to the left and right in the slot and even when he lines up left- was able to successfully make his block on the LB

49 minutes ago, Undone said:

-Terrible special teams

I wouldn't call the special teams at this point terrible. We've had two missed XP, two gaffs by a punt returner and returns not getting to the 25. Kickoffs have been going into the endzone, no big punt returns, no big kickoff returns. We've made fgs.

24 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Well he's horrible throwing to the left so it makes sense, because he has one eye. 

Like you have one ball?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I wouldn't call the special teams at this point terrible. We've had two missed XP, two gaffs by a punt returner and returns not getting to the 25. Kickoffs have been going into the endzone, no big punt returns, no big kickoff returns. We've made fgs.

We can haggle over semantics. Some areas are improved over last season - and while that is encouraging - it also isn't saying much. Like, we're high fiving because we have a kicker that can finally kick the ball into the end zone on kickoffs.

Either way, if the issues we have had show up in the games that we have to win in order to get to 6-6 (Buffalo, Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa) I think it'll be extremely hard to win them.

• Plus1 1